More transfer rumours

midds

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I mentioned previously, but I really hope we have some deals already lined up to get done quickly.

I reckon we will have, we’re so used to being run by a charlatan that we can’t get used to the idea of actually being a club focusing every effort on success. I reckon there’s a good chance we’ll have a couple of of players in within a fortnight of the window opening. Interested to see how long it takes us to ship out certain players though 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

I reckon we will have, we’re so used to being run by a charlatan that we can’t get used to the idea of actually being a club focusing every effort on success. I reckon there’s a good chance we’ll have a couple of of players in within a fortnight of the window opening. Interested to see how long it takes us to ship out certain players though 

I reckon any early ones will be Targett (should we decide to sign him) and any frees we may go in for.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I mentioned previously, but I really hope we have some deals already lined up to get done quickly.

I also hope we have outgoings lined up as well.

Unless the players have communicated to their agents that they’re prepared to sit on their remaining contracts no matter what, their representatives should have been negotiating with interested clubs for months now.

The likes of Clark, Ritchie, Hayden and Gayle would all do great jobs for any Championship team.

2 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Can we sign players now btw? Just with Man City signing Haaland this week makes me wonder if we could be able to do the same. 

They can't sign him until the window is open but they can have everything in place and announce it as "when the transfer window opens".

There’s a case to be made that if Eddie Howe had been in from start of season with squad he has now, we’d have been comfortably in the top 10, maybe 8th.

So what’s the aim for next season? We’re not ready for top 4, but it’s not unrealistic to think we can aim for Europa places with just a few additions.

Wholesale changes have never worked at any club, too much and we could end up taking a huge step back.

The biggest challenge he has this summer is to change our style of play to possession based and controlling the ball.

The club have been quiet in terms of structure, sponsorship and anything else commercial related. I think all those announcements will reassure everyone about what the plan is?

3 minutes ago, STM said:

They can't sign him until the window is open but they can have everything in place and announce it as "when the transfer window opens".

I think clubs can sign players, but they cannot register them and be eligible to play until the transfer window officially opens.

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

There’s a case to be made that if Eddie Howe had been in from start of season with squad he has now, we’d have been comfortably in the top 10, maybe 8th.

So what’s the aim for next season? We’re not ready for top 4, but it’s not unrealistic to think we can aim for Europa places with just a few additions.

Wholesale changes have never worked at any club, too much and we could end up taking a huge step back.

The biggest challenge he has this summer is to change our style of play to possession based and controlling the ball.

The club have been quiet in terms of structure, sponsorship and anything else commercial related. I think all those announcements will reassure everyone about what the plan is?

I'd say not so much finishing position, but us have comfortable enough that we don't have to throw the cups in order to focus on staying up for once. 

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why do that when you can save a few weeks' wages? 

God, the Lejeune one. :lol:

2 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Can we sign players now btw? Just with Man City signing Haaland this week makes me wonder if we could be able to do the same. 

Dortmund might come in for Wood to replace him and we could kickstart our transfer business 

8 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

I can see us having some free transfers lined up. I wonder if they could secretly sign a few players without others knowing? If they buy a few players early on for big money then other clubs will inflate their fees. Apparently the signing of Wood for £25 million resulted in other clubs vastly inflating their fees when we enquired about their players.  

13 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

My only concern by setting such an ambitious target is what happens if we fail to achieve it? We could see a great improvement in style of play and not get the results needed to get into European competition, and could risk calls for Howe to be sacked. Don't think I'd like that unless we go on an insane spending spree in the summer where conference league qualification would be seen as the bare bare minimum.

13 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

This is probably linked to the new rules around Sponsorship etc. Justifying a hefty sponsorship deal is easier when you're a club that will be playing PL football next season, rather than one that will probably be playing PL football next season.

I guess that doesn't just apply to those "related party transactions", even if we're targeting non-Saudi sponsors we can offer a much more attractive package once we're mathematically safe.

You're right though, in that the numbers involved will give us a good idea what our spending power will be. At the moment, our Fun88 deal is around £6.5m (SOURCE) and there's quite a big jump from teams around us like Wolves, Everton, Southampton (all £10m or less) and Spurs (£35m). My theory is that if we find ourselves a spot somewhere between the two, say £12-15m then our spending will be relatively modest. If we somehow manage to push through a deal closer to what the top 6 are getting then we'll be a bit more ambitious.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Wholesale changes I’ve worked for Palace, Chelsea and City. 

Have they? Chelsea were already a top 6 side and yes they did go on a spending spree but they already had Terry and Lampard, iirc their first signings included Duff, Geremi, Crespo, Mutu and Makelele, with only the last named really being a success there, well maybe there’s a case to be made for Duff once Mourinho took over but the base of their squad was solid enough at that point in time.

City were not top 6 but still healthier than what our club is currently. Aside from Robinho which also didn’t work out, they didn’t go wild to begin with.

I get the desire to have an essentially all new squad but that’s not going to happen straight away. They’re still figuring it all out, including the manager.. is he the right fit etc.

Dan Ashworth will be the driving force behind all of that.. it will be his vision. If Howe can’t deliver that, the club will be quite ruthless I’d imagine.

And we must also note that Eddie Howe will be feeling that slight bit of uncertainty as well, imagine working in a job and knowing that soon someone will come in to oversee everything you do. You might get on with them, you might not, but the dynamic changes. It’s not the same job you walked into.

Let’s just hope they’ve already had several good conversations and the first steps have been taken.

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

And we must also note that Eddie Howe will be feeling that slight bit of uncertainty as well, imagine working in a job and knowing that soon someone will come in to oversee everything you do. You might get on with them, you might not, but the dynamic changes. It’s not the same job you walked into.

Let’s just hope they’ve already had several good conversations and the first steps have been taken.

“Howe already knows Ashworth well and the pair share similar views on a range of issues, from how the game should be played to the importance of the academy. 

Go here for all the latest Newcastle United news

Indeed, it was only last December that Howe commented that he 'highly respected Dan and his work' at Brighton, the FA and West Brom.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-eddie-howe-dan-ashworth-23071272.amp

“Howe said: "Whatever the situation is, I can adapt and overcome. When I first came in, I said that appointing a sporting director is a matter of urgency for the club, because we need those structures that help the club improve. We have a lot of improving to do behind the scenes to get to be the club that we want to be. That’s in all areas. We want to build the club and, to do that, you need the right people and the right appointments to happen."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-dan-ashworth-brighton-23569296.amp

“Not long before Ashworth’s statement landed on Brighton’s website, Howe welcomed the appointment of a director of football. 

Howe, speaking ahead of Sunday’s Premier League clash with Aston Villam explained: “I’ve been used to working with a sporting director at Bournemouth, so I would encourage that. 

“I believe I can work under any framework really that the club decides which way they want to go but I’ll embrace that.”

Howe will be just fine with Ashworth coming in- there’s no issue there at all. 

We need to aim for 7th /8th 

We could of finished 9th /  10th this year with a little bit of luck 

Other teams will strengthen in and around that area of the league so we also need to match / beat them in terms of quality 

Obviously quality doesn’t always mean spend big as their are lots of free transfers that will improve our squad.

I would love to see two big signings 

1 centre forward - Abraham / Toney / similar 
plus 

Luis Paquetta 

Then if we can get a ……

decent centre half 

left back - Targett or similar 

I think that will be enough for a top 8/7 push without spending more than 100 million NET ….. (if we can sell a few too)

being greedy I would also like another winger to challenge frazer and maxi 

wouldn’t care if we lost 

almiron 

Hayden 

gayle

ritchie 

clarke

Lewis

wood

longstaff

darlow 

gillespie 

krafth 

Lascelles 

but it’s very difficult to sell deadwood with decent wages 

9 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“Howe already knows Ashworth well and the pair share similar views on a range of issues, from how the game should be played to the importance of the academy. 

Go here for all the latest Newcastle United news

Indeed, it was only last December that Howe commented that he 'highly respected Dan and his work' at Brighton, the FA and West Brom.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-eddie-howe-dan-ashworth-23071272.amp

“Howe said: "Whatever the situation is, I can adapt and overcome. When I first came in, I said that appointing a sporting director is a matter of urgency for the club, because we need those structures that help the club improve. We have a lot of improving to do behind the scenes to get to be the club that we want to be. That’s in all areas. We want to build the club and, to do that, you need the right people and the right appointments to happen."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-dan-ashworth-brighton-23569296.amp

“Not long before Ashworth’s statement landed on Brighton’s website, Howe welcomed the appointment of a director of football. 

Howe, speaking ahead of Sunday’s Premier League clash with Aston Villam explained: “I’ve been used to working with a sporting director at Bournemouth, so I would encourage that. 

“I believe I can work under any framework really that the club decides which way they want to go but I’ll embrace that.”

Howe will be just fine with Ashworth coming in- there’s no issue there at all. 

I hope you’re right, I don’t doubt Howe meant every word of what he said but when something like that is happening above you, you’re hardly going to come out and say anything negative.

If they already know each other that’s a good start. I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t be impressed with Eddie Howe either so hopefully Ashworth is as invested in him.

At the end of the day, it’s his overall responsibility to get Newcastle from A to Z, Howe just has to get the players working to the best of their abilities and cohesively so hopefully taking some of that overall responsibility off him will lead to improvements.

I think top 10 has to be the target but I would not expect or go for Europa, or want to be in it.  It really does stretch squads with the schedule and we could really do without that, especially as we will not be able to add the quality or depth we need.

For me I would love to see a season where we improve in the final third whilst building on the defensive solidarity we now how.  I would like to see us compete more with the top 8, especially at home, were we should be taking more points.  Our record with top 8 has largely been terrible so this is a big area for improvement.

I would also like to see a blueprint for the "rest of the club" - i.e. plans for the training ground and academy start to be identified and implemented.

As others have said, it will unfortunately take time to get rid of the dead wood in the squad and replace them so we need to be patient.

11 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

I think top 10 has to be the target but I would not expect or go for Europa, or want to be in it.  It really does stretch squads with the schedule and we could really do without that, especially as we will not be able to add the quality or depth we need.

For me I would love to see a season where we improve in the final third whilst building on the defensive solidarity we now how.  I would like to see us compete more with the top 8, especially at home, were we should be taking more points.  Our record with top 8 has largely been terrible so this is a big area for improvement.

I would also like to see a blueprint for the "rest of the club" - i.e. plans for the training ground and academy start to be identified and implemented.

As others have said, it will unfortunately take time to get rid of the dead wood in the squad and replace them so we need to be patient.

If we achieved Europa next season that's 3 Windows down the line and a sign to players of where we are going. There is no too early to get into Europe.

Saying that I don't expect it, I hope we'd be in with a shout though come March/April.

Edited by madras

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Wholesale changes I’ve worked for Palace, Chelsea and City. 

We made five changes ourselves in January and all five slotted into the team very well (Wood’s goal return notwithstanding). Purchasing six more in summer wouldn’t be that much of a stretch.

Three of those five January signings might be getting replaced this summer anyway, and even listing our absolute best eleven, we could easily find six holes that need replacing before we aim for Top 6 and putting *ENORMOUS* emphasis on the FA Cup.