More transfer rumours

midds

Howe clearly likes Shelvey and I think he sees something in longstaff too and that’s not to mention Willock was in really good forum last season. I think people are gonna be disappointed when we don’t sign another midfielder 

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Are you guys saying you'd be happy to go into next season with Joelinton, Shelvey, Longstaff, Bruno and Willock as our central midfielders? I think a DM/CM/CAM depending on how we plan to play Bruno should be our priority along with a RW. 

I think I said this word for word yesterday.

It's not a good central midfield at all.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I think I said this word for word yesterday.

It's not a good central midfield at all.

Joelinton and Bruno aside, it’s square pegs and round holes 

1 hour ago, STM said:

I AM reasonably content with our centre midfield, baring in mind the same midfield contributed to 6 months of top 4 form. 6 months IS sustained form, it's not a purple patch, it's their genuine capabilities.

Saying we have weakness in centre midfield is fine but we have weaknesses in every position on the pitch if you want to go through it with a fine tooth comb and considering CM a priority over RW or ST is madness IMO.

FWIW, I do think we will get another CM in during this window but I imagine it will be a younger player who will come into the squad to grow. Don't expect a big star signing unless we get Eriksen.

Before you get all defensive, nobody is saying our CM is perfect or couldn't be improved but isn't this thing about growth and window by window getting better and better in each area of the pitch?

Let's get those two attacking players in and see how things play out until January. If by then it's clear that Bruno needs company in terms of proper top quality, we can start looking at Paqueta or someone else. 

The point is, we can't do it all in one go.

It's a purple patch. See Cisse, Papiss.

Many called Lingard's West Ham form a purple patch too.

To me - a lot of people have rose-tinted specs on for Joelinton. He's bang average on the ball. Without him, the midfield lacks physicality. We need another one in there with genuine ability. RF, ST, CM and our key business for 22/23 is done. Review in January.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Ideally, I don’t want to see Shelvey starting matches next season. 

Been good since Howe came in so think that's past prejudiced personally, could see a difference for the worse when he was out of the team.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Ideally, I don’t want to see Shelvey starting matches next season. 

I think he'll start the season in the side but likely be phased out by the end of it, especially if we sign another centre mid.

6 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Been good since Howe came in so think that's past prejudiced personally, could see a difference for the worse when he was out of the team.

Didn't play against Arsenal did he? Arguably our best performance of the season.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Didn't play against Arsenal did he? Arguably our best performance of the season.

Yes, but Callum Wilson + Bruno Guimarães did. That was the big difference. Wilson was awesome when he returned for those last two games.

Shelvey also didn’t play in the 5-0 loss to Man City.

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

Yes, but Callum Wilson + Bruno Guimarães did. That was the big difference. Wilson was awesome when he returned for those last two games.

Shelvey also didn’t play in the 5-0 loss to Man City.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Longstaff either. I don't want either of them playing regularly :lol:

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Are you guys saying you'd be happy to go into next season with Joelinton, Shelvey, Longstaff, Bruno and Willock as our central midfielders? I think a DM/CM/CAM depending on how we plan to play Bruno should be our priority along with a RW. 

Also, Joelinton hasn't created a problem for us signing Paqueta at all. They don't play the same position at all. Paqueta is much more advanced and far far more talented. 

It's not about being happy, in reality on Bruno is the genuine class midfielder out of those on our books, the rest could all be upgraded. But I would have thought a DM was even more important than someone like Paqueta who would be more of an AM. Unless we are prepared to play Bruno in a deeper role like he played previously with Paqueta. I just don't know if we'll be able to buy in all the players we need in one transfer window.

If Paqueta is available though, it would seem a great chance to bring in a genuine upgrade player.

Just now, r0cafella said:

If this guy has resorted to citing nufcblog it’s time he belongs in Twitter nonsense. 

I watched a YouTube video of him recently explaining how he verifies info and how to tell who leaked it, etc. It was really interesting, but he said himself he doesn't know too much about Newcastle at the moment.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I watched a YouTube video of him recently explaining how he verifies info and how to tell who leaked it, etc. It was really interesting, but he said himself he doesn't know too much about Newcastle at the moment.

Yeah man, my post wasn’t a critique of you. 

if he knows nothing of Newcastle and is citing nufcblog he’s shit tier and just trying to gain followers imo. 

27 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

What exactly has Shelvey been good at since Howe came in? He’s been improved without good but calling him good is a stretch to me. 

easily upgradable imo. 

Sitting in front of the defence - making blocks, interceptions and passing it forward. Strong in the tackle when needed. He's played at 100% commitment - he can't do that for a season. Also playing at the very edge of his athleticism too. Massive work every game he played. As Flip said, how we want to use Bruno is crucial to the midfielder we bring alongside him.

I mentioned earlier that i thought Spurs needed a CM - forgetting they already signed Bissouma.