More transfer rumours

midds

27 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I quite like Shelvey and think we have to keep him at least as Bruno backup. He doesn't provide the full Bruno package of course, but is our next best progressive passer in midfield, the only one who comes close.

Lets hope the targets next season are Wilson or better, ASM no more than 40 yards from their goal, and a new signing who gets the pulse racing.

I'm a Shelvey fan also, under the correct coaching he looks every bit a Premier league player 

23 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Good is no longer the benchmark. He's earned the right to be a contributor, if he wants to keep his place in the first XI and keep up with our ambitions he needs to demonstrate excellent form on a consistent basis. 

For me, his limitations are going to limit our potential as a team and he will need to be upgraded. But it doesn't necessarily need to be in this window, especially if we sign a young prospect in CM to gradually bed in over time.

I disagree re: benchmark comment, because applying that logic consistently we’d field a team of about 5 players. However, I agree with the sentiment, and if anything I think we will see an overall increase of the benchmark standard due to Howe’s coaching, squad competition, squad harmony and collective belief and optimism. 

Shelvey absolutely has limits but so do all but a small handful of our players.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Nine said:

Seems like he’s really settled in London which makes total sense considering his time at Spurs, not sure what we could offer that would tempt him 

A Villa in Benwell?

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

Seems like he’s really settled in London which makes total sense considering his time at Spurs, not sure what we could offer that would tempt him 

The RVI is next door.

Too soon? :lol:

We were heavily linked with Brereton Diaz in Jan, seems to have gone quiet for us but he’s being linked to European clubs left and right 

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

I think Bruno and Joelinton in the middle with whatever is needed in the circumstances. Think we have Shelvey and Longstaff who can sit in front of defence, and Willock who can drive us forward, but what we lack is a midfielder to control the game in the opponents half.

Of course we need another alternative up front, but I think for the next season a young prospect will suffice, but he'll still cost a packet Canny bag.

Next priority is RW, but if we are smart, we could get a prospect to cover both positions, guaranteeing more playing time. And leave money to sign Bruno's mate.

Of course if we managed to sign Erikson, that would be a coup.

All of those can do a job (sort of) individually, but you never really see them combine well effectively, e.g win the ball then move the ball up the field in unison with quick one twos. Shelvey's just not capable of it, he can pick the ball up, then ping it forward but he stops there. Joelinton and Willock attempt to do it, but can be loose in possession. Longstaff is more of the same. Bruno stands out a mile in this regard.

It's not urgent by any means, but we will need better footballers in possession if we want to challenge the top 6.

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Broja, Harrison, Diaby or Paqueta, but they're more like papier-mâché links. 

My Leeds mate says that Harrison could definitely do a job on the right wing as it's not clearly obvious which foot he's best with anyway. He takes corners with either. @HTT II would approve.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

My Leeds mate says that Harrison could definitely do a job on the right wing as it's not clearly obvious which foot he's best with anyway. He takes corners with either. @HTT II would approve.

I’m two footed, but my corners are shit. He seems quite decent from what I’ve seen like and fits the mould so to speak.

Edited by HTT II

26 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’m two footed, but my corners are shit. He seems quite decent from what I’ve seen like and fits the mould so to speak.

Good character, works his bollocks off after Bielsa conditioning, technically gifted with either foot.

Ticks the boxes for Howe. Given we have the added quality of Trips at RB also, I think Harrison would be a savvy signing for us RW - anywhere in the region 10-15mill I'd be happy with that?

3 hours ago, 54 said:

Love how we're signing a load of youth talent on top of our first team. Its about damn time!

To be fair we signed plenty of youth players released by bigger clubs under Ashley too. Hope there's a good reason why he's decided not to stay at Spurs

1 hour ago, JP said:

Good character, works his bollocks off after Bielsa conditioning, technically gifted with either foot.

Ticks the boxes for Howe. Given we have the added quality of Trips at RB also, I think Harrison would be a savvy signing for us RW - anywhere in the region 10-15mill I'd be happy with that?

Comparable production to Raphinha in the Prem too. Very underrated player.