More transfer rumours

midds

7 minutes ago, Flip said:

Are you guys saying you'd be happy to go into next season with Joelinton, Shelvey, Longstaff, Bruno and Willock as our central midfielders? I think a DM/CM/CAM depending on how we plan to play Bruno should be our priority along with a RW. 

Also, Joelinton hasn't created a problem for us signing Paqueta at all. They don't play the same position at all. Paqueta is much more advanced and far far more talented. 

I think the point he was making was that Joe has made the NEED for a CM far less that it was before Clark got sent off vs Norwich, we have other positions of priority now that should be addressed before we splash massive money on a CM.. I agree with do need another DM/CM (depends on where Howe plays Bruno imo) but that player doesnt have to be 50m+ Paqueta. He is obviously better than Joe.

Edited by Nine

6 minutes ago, Flip said:

Are you guys saying you'd be happy to go into next season with Joelinton, Shelvey, Longstaff, Bruno and Willock as our central midfielders? I think a DM/CM/CAM depending on how we plan to play Bruno should be our priority along with a RW. 

Also, Joelinton hasn't created a problem for us signing Paqueta at all. They don't play the same position at all. Paqueta is much more advanced and far far more talented. 

This! Find it ridiculous how many people seem to be reasonably content with our central midfield. Foolish and naive. I know we need a RW and a Forward/striker of some kind, 

but Cm is an extremely important area of the pitch. Just see how much of a difference Bruno has made, and we still have weaknesses in there. This was with Wood playing too.

If we dont sign at least one CM of some sort then it's not looking very good at all imo. People overrate our midfielders because of a run that isn't sustainable for the level of

players we have there when Bruno was on the bench. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, Nine said:

I think the point he was making was that Joe has made the NEED for a CM far less that it was before Clark got send off vs Norwich, we have other positions of priority now that should be addressed before we splash massive money on a CM. Paqueta is obviously the better player. 

I got his point. I just don't agree with it at all. I might be in a minority, but our last half of the season isn't sustainable with this squad at all and especially in midfield. An injury to Bruno and we're back to a relegation battling midfield. Howe seems to be a good manager, but he's not a miracle man. Signing someone like Paqueta or any other CM that improves us is very important. 

Just now, Flip said:

I got his point. I just don't agree with it at all. I might be in a minority, but our last half of the season isn't sustainable with this squad at all and especially in midfield. An injury to Bruno and we're back to a relegation battling midfield. Howe seems to be a good manager, but he's not a miracle man. Signing someone like Paqueta or any other CM that improves us is very important. 

I agree with everything you just said, my only point is the CM we sign doesnt necessarily have to be Paqueta especially if we plan to spend big on a RW and/or a ST.

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

This! Find it ridiculous how many people seem to be reasonably content with our central midfield. Foolish and naive. I know we need a RW and a Forward/striker of some kind. 

Extremely important area of the pitch. Just see how much of a difference Bruno has made, and we still have weaknesses in there. This was with Wood playing too.

If we dont sign at least one CM of some sort then it's not looking very good at all imo. People overrate our midfielders because of a run that isn't sustainable for the level of

Couldn't agree more.  

Just now, Nine said:

I agree with everything you just said, my only point is the CM we sign doesnt necessarily have to be Paqueta especially if we plan to spend big on a RW and/or a ST.

Fair enough. :thup: I agree it doesn't have to be Paqueta (no guarantees that he'll be a success either), it all depends on how Howe sees Bruno playing. Bruno seemed to play a few positions in midfield and did well in all of them. If we want to play progressive football I see him as a deep lying playmaker, but given where we are, him as the most offensive midfielder isn't bad either. 

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

Love how he's talking about doing the hard work and that Neymar wouldn't have to worry about the defensive part. His mindset has already switched from being a striker to a hard working central midfielder. Really hope he can sustain his form. Had such a tough start to his career here and has kept working hard. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

This! Find it ridiculous how many people seem to be reasonably content with our central midfield. Foolish and naive. I know we need a RW and a Forward/striker of some kind. 

Extremely important area of the pitch. Just see how much of a difference Bruno has made, and we still have weaknesses in there. This was with Wood playing too.

I AM reasonably content with our centre midfield, baring in mind the same midfield contributed to 6 months of top 4 form. 6 months IS sustained form, it's not a purple patch, it's their genuine capabilities.

Saying we have weakness in centre midfield is fine but we have weaknesses in every position on the pitch if you want to go through it with a fine tooth comb and considering CM a priority over RW or ST is madness IMO.

FWIW, I do think we will get another CM in during this window but I imagine it will be a younger player who will come into the squad to grow. Don't expect a big star signing unless we get Eriksen.

Before you get all defensive, nobody is saying our CM is perfect or couldn't be improved but isn't this thing about growth and window by window getting better and better in each area of the pitch?

Let's get those two attacking players in and see how things play out until January. If by then it's clear that Bruno needs company in terms of proper top quality, we can start looking at Paqueta or someone else. 

The point is, we can't do it all in one go.

I don't think being "content" with our CM is an outrageous position in fairness.

We've got our best player (Bruno) and our POTS (Joelinton) in there. I'd be happier with those two plus Shelvey/Willock/Longstaff than I would see us playing Fraser/Almiron on one wing and Wood as the only backup to Wilson.

If we get good players at RW and striker that's a solid window and I'd back us to achieve the lower-end of our expectations (8th/9th). More quality at CM would obviously improve us (add Eriksen to RW & striker and I reckon we could really push 6th/7th) but I can see why that's third on the list after the other two positions.

I wouldn't say I'd be happy about starting our season with the current midfielders, however we have more pressing concerns in terms of positions that need filling. You can't sign an entire new defence, midfield and attack in one transfer window.

We've got our new defence, now we need attacking reinforcements more than anything else. Next summer will then be the time to look at getting another top quality CM to go alongside Bruno. For now, a combination of Joelintion/Willock/Shelvey/Longstaff will do the job just as they did in the last 6 months.

Chris Wood and Almiron/Fraser/Murphy were all part of the same team. If anyone believes that our form is sustainable with the current team, they're kidding themselves. That being said, if our aim is a top 10 finish then let's hope we can sign a player or more and completely avoid injuries.

I trust the club and Howe's vision of the team, but its interesting that we prioritised a high calibre centre back over a midfielder. Having Shelvey in the midfield will cost us more points than a Schar-Burn back two. That's why I think we'll still reinforce the midfield. We're a Bruno injury away from being back to square one.

Just now, Flip said:

Chris Wood and Almiron/Fraser/Murphy were all part of the same team. If anyone believes that our form is sustainable with the current team, they're kidding themselves. That being said, if our aim is a top 10 finish then let's hope we can sign a player or more and completely avoid injuries.

First sentence highlights the need for RW and ST incomings as priority. Centre midfielder could be one we see come in late in the window if an opportunity arises. 

Shelvey gets some unfair cop on here, think he's been really good for us last 6 months under Howe.

1 hour ago, Flip said:

Love how he's talking about doing the hard work and that Neymar wouldn't have to worry about the defensive part. His mindset has already switched from being a striker to a hard working central midfielder. Really hope he can sustain his form. Had such a tough start to his career here and has kept working hard. 

Big Jow's mentality is rock solid, like. Amazing what he had to put up with for two years being a target man for Bruceball and everyone calling him shit, and end up POTS. His redemption arc is the most beautiful thing about this season, imho. He must be proud as fuck.

2 minutes ago, JP said:

First sentence highlights the need for RW and ST incomings as priority. Centre midfielder could be one we see come in late in the window if an opportunity arises. 

Shelvey gets some unfair cop on here, think he's been really good for us last 6 months under Howe.

Our best performances last season came without Shelvey on the pitch.Norwich away and Arsenal at home were two of our best performances and in both Brunos started as the deep lying player in Shelveys position if I remember it correctly. 

CM is only a priority for me after winger and forward.

However I'm honestly not massively fussed what kind of midfielder we were to sign as long as they represent an injection of quality. I can see the merits of either a defensive or attacking option because I think Bruno's (and Joelinton's tbh) role can be adapted either way.

Edited by ponsaelius

49 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think that's bollocks! If we want him, I reckon he'll choose us over most other clubs. He wants to play with his besty and knows he'll be worshiped by the Toon Army. 

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I’d rather play Longstaff than Shelvey. That being said, I’m pretty confident our transfer work is far from done. We just need to get rid of the trash.

Shelvey offers way more than Longstaff, Shelvey was very good for us back end of last season.

The Nantes manager has admitted they won't be fighting to hold on to any of their players. Ludovic Blas is one who we've been linked with since January. Looks canny good, hope we're in for him.