More transfer rumours

midds

At some point last season I remember some commentator noting that Newcastle hadn’t won a game without Shelvey in midfield. I remember being rather surprised by that.  Obviously that didn’t hold true for the remainder of the season. We really did look a different side with Wilson and Bruno playing. Rewatched those last two games— ASM was looking to make a pass! 

Wilson, Bruno, Trippier, and Shelvey all playing at the same time? Didn’t happen.

I'd love to sign this Paqueta fella, if he's available.

I've seen people debating where he'd fit in our midfield. But there's a good post on another thread about the impact of bring in the 5 subs rule, where more quality in depth will be a real advantage.

That's quite apart from the benefits of having competition for places and potentially being able to mix up your tactics.

Though, I do agree that a striker and a winger are the priority for now.

Edited by Abacus

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Shelvey looked good under Howe, I think it’s churlish to suggest otherwise. Deserves to be a key contributor.

I'm just concerned that he's never shown any level of consistency through his entire career. 

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I'm just concerned that he's never shown any level of consistency through his entire career. 

Agreed. Wouldn't argue with his performances under Howe being generally improved, but sooner or later he'll let us down with half arsed performances again. We also looked a lot more dynamic without him in the last few games. 

He's fine as backup. 

Replacing him shouldn't be the priority if we had to choose two more players for instances it's likely we would go for a winger and a forward. With that being said If we could get a third replacing him would be high on my list.

He's stats are hardly ground breaking.

image.png.f6cec2fa670e09d9a0d7438f7ef478c3.png

Just now, r0cafella said:

Replacing him shouldn't be the priority if we had to choose two more players for instances it's likely we would go for a winger and a forward. With that being said If we could get a third replacing him would be high on my list.

He's stats are hardly ground breaking.

image.png.f6cec2fa670e09d9a0d7438f7ef478c3.png

Grim

1 hour ago, TRon said:

It's not about being happy, in reality on Bruno is the genuine class midfielder out of those on our books, the rest could all be upgraded. But I would have thought a DM was even more important than someone like Paqueta who would be more of an AM. Unless we are prepared to play Bruno in a deeper role like he played previously with Paqueta. I just don't know if we'll be able to buy in all the players we need in one transfer window.

If Paqueta is available though, it would seem a great chance to bring in a genuine upgrade player.

I think Bruno and Joelinton in the middle with whatever is needed in the circumstances. Think we have Shelvey and Longstaff who can sit in front of defence, and Willock who can drive us forward, but what we lack is a midfielder to control the game in the opponents half.

Of course we need another alternative up front, but I think for the next season a young prospect will suffice, but he'll still cost a packet Canny bag.

Next priority is RW, but if we are smart, we could get a prospect to cover both positions, guaranteeing more playing time. And leave money to sign Bruno's mate.

Of course if we managed to sign Erikson, that would be a coup.

25 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Shelvey looked good under Howe, I think it’s churlish to suggest otherwise. Deserves to be a key contributor.

I quite like Shelvey and think we have to keep him at least as Bruno backup. He doesn't provide the full Bruno package of course, but is our next best progressive passer in midfield, the only one who comes close.

Lets hope the targets next season are Wilson or better, ASM no more than 40 yards from their goal, and a new signing who gets the pulse racing.

35 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He has though. He was consistently reliable last year, in Rafa’s 2nd and 3rd years and in the first Bruce year.

36 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Good is no longer the benchmark. He's earned the right to be a contributor, if he wants to keep his place in the first XI and keep up with our ambitions he needs to demonstrate excellent form on a consistent basis. 

For me, his limitations are going to limit our potential as a team and he will need to be upgraded. But it doesn't necessarily need to be in this window, especially if we sign a young prospect in CM to gradually bed in over time.

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Ekitike alternative 

No chance. One for the under 23s I imagine. Plus he appears to be more of a winger rather than a striker.