More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Jacobs saying we’re considering Dennis and that apparently Howe prefers him to Cornet . Interesting if true.

Out of Dennis, Sarr and Cornet who would you prefer? 

Good question. Think it would have to be Dennis.

He is the youngest of the three, and crucially he seems to be the most durable too. His number of goals and assists were also fantastic right out of the gate, first time in the league, for a team that was generally really poor going forward.

He can be a bit of a malcontent when he isn't pleased about something though, but I think Howe has the right kind of temperament and personality to manage those kind of instances, so I don't anticipate that being as much of an issue.

Based off of last season’s form I’d go Dennis as well; seems like he just glides across the pitch megging players left and right. For a rumoured 20m, that’d great business imo.

Honestly though if we can’t land our top targets, any of those 3 would greatly improve us (and without breaking the bank).

Jacobs saying we’re considering Dennis and that apparently Howe prefers him to Cornet . Interesting if true.

Where did he say this? Was it on a podcast? If so, may give it a listen.

Not really an answer to your question, but this is why I'm not too fussed at this stage if deals for Diaby or Paqueta don't materialise. Obviously I'd love to sign them, but those are just the type of unsexy signings which we could afford, and would immediately improve us in the right areas for the coming season.

Just now, McCormick said:

Based off of last season’s form I’d go Dennis as well; seems like he just glides across the pitch megging players left and right. For a rumoured 20m, that’d great business imo.

Honestly though if we can’t land our top targets, any of those 3 would greatly improve us (and without breaking the bank).

Yeah, Dennis plays with the most flair out of the three for sure.

Very surprisingly, I was also just looking at their stat breakdowns on fbref, and Dennis is also the best at pressing, tackling and interceptions. In fact his defensive numbers are really good. I'm sure Howe absolutely loves that. Think it's a big part of why he likes Harrison who has exceptional pressing/defensive stats.

As said before I’m a massive fan of Paqueta he really is top class. He’s in that kind of world-level with Bruno and could go to a top club and slot in, him coming here takes us to a new level. Splash the 50-60 mil on him. The rest of the 2-3 signings can be loans of players like Dennis for 20 mil and improve our depth. For me added with Paqueta if we could add Dennis/Cornet as well as a CHO or someone else on loan I think we’d all be extremely happy.

I might be wrong but I get the feeling that the transfer fees are not necessarily the problem but that the wages are. A 30-40m player is around 100k a week maybe a bit more, the 50-60m players are looking for 200k a week. Jesus reportedly is on over 200, Sterling more no doubt. So the Isaks, Diaby and Paquetas who are all valued at over 50m probably want way more a week than at this point we are prepared to pay. 

Sooner or later we will have to or we’ll be stuck in mid table forever.

To be honest, I’m just as excited to see if Elliott Anderson will be involved, is he the real deal etc.. if he gets the backup position to ASM then great, he’ll get game time.

I think the best position we can fill is right midfield, not forward.. for value at least, if we’re more dominant in the middle, the less tracking back the likes of Fraser or Miggy would have to do so we might see more from them going forward. Or that’s the theory anyway, give them till January and then upgrade if it’s not working.

For me Paqueta makes a lot of sense re. his versatility. I'm sure it's been said but he's played centrally, deep forward, and also on the right. All of these areas are a bit fragile, and having him able to fill all of them would be a great foundational signing that makes the rest of the window that bit less riskier and more in our favour.

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

To be honest, I’m just as excited to see if Elliott Anderson will be involved, is he the real deal etc.. if he gets the backup position to ASM then great, he’ll get game time.

I think the best position we can fill is right midfield, not forward.. for value at least, if we’re more dominant in the middle, the less tracking back the likes of Fraser or Miggy would have to do so we might see more from them going forward. Or that’s the theory anyway, give them till January and then upgrade if it’s not working.

I'm here... Striker on Loan - someone good enough to cover Wilson with Pace and Power. Dennis would do.

Winger - Sarr would be a decent buy if we can't get Diaby. Then spunk the rest on Bruno's best mate and watch the beautiful Brazilians turn on the samba football.

I'd Start:

Pope

Trippier

Target

Botman

Schar

Joe

Bruno

Paqueta

Maxi

Sarr

Wilson

That with Eddie at the reign and some luck with injury would get us top 8. Elliot / Fraser / Miggy to Cover wings, Wood & Dennis to cover Wilson, Shelvey, Longstaff to cover the middle. Let's go! It's Phase 1.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

5 hours ago, KaKa said:

Think they both haven't quite maintained those previous levels. Those two teams also have a lot of attacking midfield talents, and so they haven't quite had the luxury of just continuing to play all the time.

Aouar is also now entering the final year of his contract. Brandt has a couple more years left, but they're just ready to move him on now it seems, as I think he wants to be more of a key player in a consistent position.

I still like both of them a lot though, and think they'd be great for us right now, but we don't seem to be looking at those types.

Betis have reportedly had a bid accepted for Aouar but he seemingly is holding out for a PL move

His stock was at it's peak after they played City, seems to have fallen a bit but he's a lovely footballer, would happily take him here

It's a difficult one with Paqueta, obviously he would improve the team, there's no doubt about that but I think the position he plays in we probably wouldn't have been considering this summer. If he were ST or RW I think it would've been done already.

But arguably his signing (as long as we also got ST/RW in as well) would catapult us onto the next level. ie, challenging for 6th and perhaps 5th rather than 7th/8th.

But there in lies the big question, are we going to spend the amount necessary to get Paqueta and a ST and a RW. I don't think it would be an issue of FFP this summer but it would definitely decrease our spending power for next summer. I want it to happen but I'm seriously doubtful it will.

11 hours ago, junkhead said:

Despite the lack of any genuine rumours and Waugh's opinion, I think that logic dictates that we're interested and most likely in pole position to land Paqueta. It was widely reported in January that he had rejected an approach from us, so he's a player that Howe likes. Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas commented at the time on the identity of the bidder:

“It's a club with a lot of money but it is confidential”
“He will stay with us this transfer window. He wants out (to leave) in the medium term.”
“As I always say, if an offer of 80 million euros comes, we'll consider it”

6 months later, I'd like to think his best mate's success has changed his view on our project. There's no doubt that he'd entertain a move to us but he might still prefer a more reputable team like Arsenal.

Apparently the player's performance has dropped off massively this calendar year. He has mostly been playing as a 10 and at RW but most OL fans think that his best position is further back as a more disciplined creative CM, the role he played the previous season.On their forums, apart from his creative ability, most list his work rate and tenacity as his main strengths - some even claim he's better defensively than Bruno. Their fans consider him a complete midfielder but there's some criticism of his decisions and overconfidence on the pitch and generally with his mentality and loyalty this season. Apparently his body language since Juninho and Bruno left is a clear signal he's not happy at Lyon anymore and Aulas has admitted several times that he's open to selling him for the right amount.

Not a lot of teams can afford players in this bracket. There's a lot of talk about Arsenal, apparently Edu likes him but afaik no genuine reports from reputable sources. They probably hold some interest but I doubt they have another £50 million for a position which is not really a priority. 

As for us, we DO have a lot of FFP room to manoeuvre. It's absurd that we'd cap ourselves to £70-80 million or whatever the local reporters claim. It's one of our few advantages over other clubs and we'll play the card this transfer window, I have no doubt. The negotiations with Aulas will be tricky, so I think this will go all the way towards the end of the window but we'll get him.

Great post. 

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or whether it should be in the Realistic Targets one, but I think we could do a lot worse than Cornet/Sarr for £20-25m & Kalimuendo £15-20m.

That's £35-45m, on top of the £50m(ish) we've spent already which keeps us within the mooted budget for the summer, you're getting a starter plus cover across all three forward positions and they've all played multiple seasons in the top flight (France/England). They're all early/mid 20s so you're bringing the average age of the squad down (which is something we're keen on apparently). Both deals can be wrapped up swiftly and allow them to bed in with a decent amount of pre-season behind them.

Revisit the likes of Diaby, Paqueta, Isak next summer when we've (hopefully) had a successful season and a raft of new sponsorship deals in place.