More transfer rumours

midds

Wouldn’t be surprised if we signed someone like Zapata. We clearly need another striker, even if just for cover. Can’t remember last season’s stats, but he’s 31, couple of seasons in him, and has basically scored 1 in 2 in Serie A. 

I am assuming it depends on who else is really available to us and how much they are genuinely prepared to pay for alternatives or other positions. I guess there will be at least two first teamers  coming in, probably three, and at least one of them will be a journeyman/‘right for now’ or loan. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Trippier, Wood and Burn already don't have much resale value.

They were all players used to the league already, wouldn’t need adapting, and were known quantities who would do an immediate job. 

Tbh I bet they could give a shit about resale value from signings in this early stage. As that Tifo vid went into, Man City made bugger all back from most of their initial signings and it didn't matter a jot. It was an investment which contributed to them, ten years later, becoming one of the clubs in the world with the highest turnover. 

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd be amazed if that's true. He doesn't fit our target profile at all.

It's actually embarrassing that they can be so clueless. How could we possibly go and sign yet another 30 year old striker. Such a lazy link from someone that's not paid any attention to what the club is doing. Awful stuff. Just throwing out made up articles for clicks.

On 17/06/2022 at 11:39, kingxlnc said:

I'd like to see signings this summer in these positions.

In terms of order:

RW: Diaby, Raphina, Zaniolo, Sarr, McNeil

ST: Osimhen, Isak, Calvert-Lewin, Ekitike, Cornet

CB: Badashille, NDicka, Botman, Demiril

CAM: Paqueta, Eriksen, Fekir

DM: Haidara, Sangare, Fofana, Zinchenko

GK: Oblak, Pope, Areola, Kepa, Henderson

Getting even 1 of the first-choice ones would be amazing and would constitute a successful summer, 2 would be a game-changer. 

Looking at this post from earlier in the summer, we have only got one second choice and one third choice in so far, in terms of plugging the key gaps in the team. 

As long as all these positions get covered, be it by loan or full purchase, we'd be in a very good place to meet aspirations. 

Assuming we could only get 1 first choice, it would be Pacqueta all day long. 

For RW, I'd be ok with Sarr. 

For ST, I'd be ok with Cornet or even Dennis. 

For DM, any of those would be great (but have the least expectation since we haven't been linked strongly with any of them). 

Just now, Manxst said:

They were all players used to the league already, wouldn’t need adapting, and were known quantities who would do an immediate job. 

Yeh I get that.

But of the 6 takeover signings we've made. Only 2 look like long-term bets and 3 have decent resale value.

If that's important to leadership, signing a 4th short-term - low resale value player doesn't seem the move.

I'm not sure that it is important. Those lads are on short-term contracts anyway (signed 2.5 year deals I think). Just kicking the tyres on the theory.

This summer window is playing out the way the January window did. Trippier and Wood were signed early doors and then there was a lull. During that time we walked away from both Botman and Carlos because their clubs wouldn't do a deal at our valuation and panic inevitably set in.

That's why I believe there is cash for a marquee signing. In January the club wouldn't pay insane money for Botman or Carlos, but they did a deal for Bruno at nearly £40 million because they felt it represented value for money. The club have repeatedly said if a player they're interested in becomes available at the right price, they'll do business. This was shown again when we successfully went back in for Botman six months later, when he was available at a fee that we considered fair.

Disclaimer: that doesn't mean that I want or that I'm expecting a marquee signing, just that I believe the money is there.

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd be amazed if that's true. He doesn't fit our target profile at all.

Same. Not sure I'd want him given the age profile of our squad.

Burn, Schar, Trippier, Fede,Shelvey, Wood, Wilson, Gayle (still has 2 years on his deal) are all the wrong side of 30.

Wouldn't be a good look to have all 4 strikers on the book be over 30 with no resale value etc.

It is going to be difficult for the club to get the right sort of striker imo.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

This summer window is playing out the way the January window did. Trippier and Wood were signed early doors and then there was a lull. During that time we walked away from both Botman and Carlos because their clubs wouldn't do a deal at our valuation and panic inevitably set in.

That's why I believe there is cash for a marquee signing. In January the club wouldn't pay insane money for Botman or Carlos, but they did a deal for Bruno at nearly £40 million because they felt it represented value for money. The club have repeatedly said if a player they're interested in becomes available at the right price, they'll do business. This was shown again when we successfully went back in for Botman six months later, when he was available at a fee that we considered fair.

Disclaimer: that doesn't mean that I want or that I'm expecting a marquee signing, just that I believe the money is there.

Good point. I do like this pragmatic way of working and being sensible, but it's semi-surprising, given how Chelsea and Man City first operated under moneybags ownership, and secondly Saudi's objective regarding ownership - all of which pointed to a couple of 'statement' signings being the order of the day. As everything Saudi do is often to square up competitively against their Gulf rivals, bigger and better etc - but perhaps this is where PCP's operations management is doing its work, to ensure NUFC is not just a rich play thing for an oligarch or sheikh, and to ensure there is professionalism to meet the long term objectives of domination. Short term pain for long term gain. I do think Everton's bad example has also helped to temper activity also. 

6 minutes ago, adamjk007 said:

Linked with Zapata again now according to the Northernecho

I'd be happy with him tbh his goal record is impressive,  could still get a good 3 or 4 years out of him the way things are going at the minute with longer careers.

19 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's actually embarrassing that they can be so clueless. How could we possibly go and sign yet another 30 year old striker. Such a lazy link from someone that's not paid any attention to what the club is doing. Awful stuff. Just throwing out made up articles for clicks.

Well you would be getting a world class striker who would maybe give you 2-3 good seasons which is pretty hard to put a price on. I mean this standard of player is transformational in results terms, you could genuinely beat anyone if you have that type of firepower in your team ( assuming you get someone like Sarr in for £20m in the RW slot).

I doubt we'd do it, but it's not out of the question if you believe we want to be in Europe at the end of THIS campaign.

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Be a shame if he goes to Leeds. They are doing great business imo 

I don't know a lot about the players they've signed, but it seems like they've totally overhauled the first team. They could be a bit of an unknown quantity next year.

25 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tbh I bet they could give a shit about resale value from signings in this early stage. As that Tifo vid went into, Man City made bugger all back from most of their initial signings and it didn't matter a jot. It was an investment which contributed to them, ten years later, becoming one of the clubs in the world with the highest turnover. 

I disagree, I think they're only interested in strengthening our squad.

30 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yep I don’t think that resale is a priority more than not giving players who are seen as transitional purchased long deals. Wood is only 2 years isn’t he? 

14 minutes ago, gdm said:

Agreed 

I think quite a few teams have done some nice business 

Spurs- Richarlison,Bissouma, perisic, 

Arsenal - Viera,Jesus, maybe Zinchenko?

Man City - Haaland , Kelvin Phillips

Brentford - Hickey , KL -Potter

Leeds - Aaronson,Sinisterra,Kalimuendo? 

Villa - Coutinho, Kamara, Carlos 

Liverpool - Nunez, Carvalho 

Southampton - Bazunu, Joe aribo

West Ham , Aguerd, Areola

Chelsea , Sterling , Koulibaly

Resale value didn't matter for Man City because there was no FFP and players cost 1/4 the price they do now in 2009. Getting value for money with signings and investing in younger players who will appreciate in value is absolutely vital now to avoid Everton type situations.

Edited by ponsaelius

16 minutes ago, gdm said:

They’re going to have to considering they’ve lost their two best (by some distance) players.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well you would be getting a world class striker who would maybe give you 2-3 good seasons which is pretty hard to put a price on. I mean this standard of player is transformational in results terms, you could genuinely beat anyone if you have that type of firepower in your team ( assuming you get someone like Sarr in for £20m in the RW slot).

I doubt we'd do it, but it's not out of the question if you believe we want to be in Europe at the end of THIS campaign.

I don't think they are in such a rush that they are going to bring in anymore expensive older players who would command higher wages, certainly not in a position where we already have two older players.

Europe is also not out of the question without having to sign someone like that anyway, so I just don't see it. The priority, as they have said, is to reduce the age of the squad, and bring in more players that can grow with the club.

Zapata is a good player but his game is all power and pace and he's already started getting injuries. Shouldn't be anywhere near the profile of players we are aiming for and i'd start worrying about the logic of our transfer policy if we signed him.

Edited by ponsaelius