More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not sure what to expect tomorrow, but with the way we've been messed around by other clubs this window, I'd be surprised to see loads of business suddenly concluded. I guess we'll see, but I suspect it could be a frustrating day. 

Bids possibly knocked backed to try and get interest from other clubs to hike the price up. Last day tomorrow so we could (not saying we will) see clubs being more receptive. 

I think some of the players we’ve signed or want, Wood, Burn and Targett are with one eye on the possibility of needing those type of players to get us out of the Championship next season should we go down, but in the short-term hope that they will give us the experience, character and ability to come straight in to help us stay up. Do that and they will become decent squad players. Sensible signings that make perfect sense for where we are at, where we could end up and where we are trying to get to? We could do with a Tripper level of quality player up front and in midfield still and ideally at CB too.

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I'd be okay with Targett on loan but permanent would be underwhelming as I'm sure with a bit more time in the summer we can get better

Even on loan it seems a bit pointless when you have Lewis, Manquillo, Dummett and now Burn who can do that role. Granted they're not the best, but neither is Taggart.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Even on loan it seems a bit pointless when you have Lewis, Manquillo, Dummett and now Burn who can do that role. Granted they're not the best, but neither is Taggart.

Decent program but not as good as frost 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I guess Burn is being signed to play CB

Dummett is very limited on the ball, Manquillo has done well there but he's not a natural left back

Which leaves Lewis, I like him but he's not played much for Howe so maybe he wants someone a bit more dependable 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think he’s good, very solid player who won’t get burned repeatedly imo

Didn’t Sarr absolutely destroy him at the start of the season? Almost Hatem vs. Luna levels?

Just now, ManDoon said:

I don’t recall it but wasn’t their a period where did that to a few players 

Just checked, he got hooked at half time :lol:

“While the new boys didn’t impress, it was one longer-serving player who had a particularly awful game – Matt Targett.

The left-back certainly wasn’t helped by Ashley Young seemingly allergic to doing his defensive duties and tracking back, but Watford’s Ismaila Sarr took him to the cleaners with his combination of pace and trickery.

As per Sofascore, the English ace lost all five duels in which he was involved and made no tackles or interceptions whatsoever. He also lost the ball on eight separate occasions and couldn’t find his passing radar either, completing just 79% of his passes.

Such were his struggles that Smith actually decided to take him off at half-time and spare his blushes, but some journalists didn’t spare the 25-year-old in their assessments of the match.

The Birmingham Mail’s Ashley Preece claimed that Targett was “all over the shop” as Emmanuel Dennis opened the scoring for the home side, with the left-back’s nemesis on the day Sarr playing a big part for the goal.

Writing on Twitter, The Athletic’s Gregg Evans said: “Feeling a little bit for Matt Targett here. 14 mins in and Sarr is causing him all sorts of problems. Hard to watch. #WatfordFC #AVFC.”

Hopefully he was just a bit rusty back then…

17 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

There is no alternative 

Whilst SSN is clichéd when it comes to Transfer Deadline Day it's the place to watch it. 

And for the first time in years it's worth watching from our perspective.

Agreed.

I for one am looking forward to all the bollocks, pure excitement and nonsence with nuggets of truth/hope to keep you glued.

Makes a change.

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I guess Burn is being signed to play CB

Dummett is very limited on the ball, Manquillo has done well there but he's not a natural left back

Which leaves Lewis, I like him but he's not played much for Howe so maybe he wants someone a bit more dependable 

Just think Targett, Taggett, Taggart or however his name is spelt is of the same ilk

Edited by et tu brute

Might’ve had COVID or something prior? Got dropped for Young at LB against us the following week, but had clearly got back into things before Digne came.

If Rafa rated him, he’s probably decent.

I suppose even if Target is fairly similar to what we have then it's a good deal, God knows how long Dummet stays fit and although Lewis has had decent games I'm not convinced and good to have options. 

Targett is the most uninspiring signing of the window, for me. Assuming he comes, he just seems like he might be a slight upgrade on the 3 options we already have there. Not great going forward by all accounts, so not even a different type of player. 

It doesn’t seem a position of need, really. But if we still got another attacking player in tomorrow. Then I suppose it doesn’t matter. Not like it’s either or. 

29 minutes ago, SweMag said:

From the end of last season:

To be fair to him, he was magnificent that season.

This is a strange one. I can't see why we'd do it. Gerrard likes them more attacking than Targett is, but even so, strange.