More transfer rumours

midds

12 hours ago, Nobody said:

You don't stay up by having won more games, you stay up by having more points. 

And I know that. But there are teams with Norwich and Watfords stats at this point in the season that have stayed up as far as I know. 

Interesting how they've both come out with that statement.

It's rumoured we went back in for him at the end of the window, wouldn't be surprised if they've agreed a deal with us contingent on us staying up.

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Seeing how terrible Lille were yesterday against PSG he would've been better off joining us, i guess the fact that they still are in the champions league kept him with them.

He wanted to come, we wouldn’t be extorted and thus it didn’t happen. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Good to see that happen the other way around for once tbh. Hope he does well. 

Hummels and Nerlinger went from Bayern to Dortmund. And Goetze eventually made his way back via Bayern too. Think he’s missed a trick not moving abroad at this stage, but it’s not the worst move I guess. 

Post takeover, I'm glad he's ended up at Dortmund and not Chelsea. I know we can't challenge those teams yet but would love teams like Man Utd's attack to still be Ronaldo and Cavani when we can challenge. 

The best need to come to us, and only us!

Add Gosens to the list with Ekitike, Süle, and whoever else I’m forgetting that turned us down after a bid was accepted for them:

Spoiler

Robin Gosens has revealed he turned down a contract offer from Newcastle in the January transfer window.

Gosens, who moved to Inter Milan on loan towards the end of the window, has starred for Atalanta in recent seasons.

He has also picked up 13 caps for Germany, scoring two goals.

The left wing-back told German magazine Kicker: "I had a contract offer on the table, but rejected it. At no time did I say yes."

Gosens, 27, continued: “I thought about it. But I never really considered the transfer at any time. When I have to decide something, I always make a pros and cons list and then see what prevails.

“And with this offer, the Premier League and a lucrative contract were clearly on the pro side, but there were too many points on the con side. I would have put my sporting goals at risk.”

And asked whether the money available at Newcastle after their Saudi Arabia-backed takeover had appealed, he continued: “I think it's very human to think about that. If you can earn many times more for the same job at another location? Show me someone who would simply say, ‘No, thank you’. It's not just about me either, I probably could have provided for a few more generations of my family with that money.

“I would like to be able to look at the mirror at the end of my career and say, 'I got the most out of my career from a sporting aspect.' With Newcastle, I didn't have that feeling from the beginning.”

Newcastle are 19th and at risk of relegation from the Premier League, although they did manage to overcome Leeds 1-0 in their last game.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Add Gosens to the list with Ekitike, Süle, and whoever else I’m forgetting that turned us down after a bid was accepted for them:

Hide contents

Robin Gosens has revealed he turned down a contract offer from Newcastle in the January transfer window.

Gosens, who moved to Inter Milan on loan towards the end of the window, has starred for Atalanta in recent seasons.

He has also picked up 13 caps for Germany, scoring two goals.

The left wing-back told German magazine Kicker: "I had a contract offer on the table, but rejected it. At no time did I say yes."

Gosens, 27, continued: “I thought about it. But I never really considered the transfer at any time. When I have to decide something, I always make a pros and cons list and then see what prevails.

“And with this offer, the Premier League and a lucrative contract were clearly on the pro side, but there were too many points on the con side. I would have put my sporting goals at risk.”

And asked whether the money available at Newcastle after their Saudi Arabia-backed takeover had appealed, he continued: “I think it's very human to think about that. If you can earn many times more for the same job at another location? Show me someone who would simply say, ‘No, thank you’. It's not just about me either, I probably could have provided for a few more generations of my family with that money.

“I would like to be able to look at the mirror at the end of my career and say, 'I got the most out of my career from a sporting aspect.' With Newcastle, I didn't have that feeling from the beginning.”

Newcastle are 19th and at risk of relegation from the Premier League, although they did manage to overcome Leeds 1-0 in their last game.

Aye, personally I’m happy with this. I don’t want players who don’t want to be here. Good luck to him in the future. 

What’s most interesting about that is Gosens style as a LB is almost the mirror opposite to what we ended up with in Targett. Very much so a full on attacking LB that can also play LW, makes me wonder how far down the list of players Targett actually was.

Gosens "I never considered it". 

Also Gosens "I had to way up the pros and cons".

Fucking muppet. The reason we didn't sign him and Bakker is that Targett became available on loan and it was a safer option.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Gosens "I never considered it". 

Also Gosens "I had to way up the pros and cons".

Fucking muppet. The reason we didn't sign him and Bakker is that Targett became available on loan and it was a safer option.

He said he had an offer and declined. I don’t think we passed on him :lol:

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Fair comments from Gosens, I don’t share them but he sounds a principled lad 

Yeah, if it had been the summer it might have been a different story.  We need to start the window well though, a big signing at the start of the window might convince other players to join.  Carrasco would be good for this, he would come I think as well.

Looking at it objectively, if you have serious ambitions that you want to realise right now, we aren't that club.

If you can spare a year or two, then you may reap the rewards (hopefully)

I take positives in that if we were not in this lowly position, he would have seriously considered the offer. As it is, we will be able to secure players of his caliber once we are safe, and that is something we will be looking forward to in the summer.

Guest reefatoon

If we had managed to peddle the diabolical Bruce earlier and we were in a much healthier league position going into January, I wonder what signings we would have made. Cheers Bruce you utter cunt.