More transfer rumours

midds

If Howe was happy to let Lascelles go I'd have every faith that he was making the right call (I love trusting a manager), but based on what we know it seems like an unnecessary way of reducing squad numbers/cashing in. He's not great but he's not terrible and could yet improve, given who else has improved under Howe's tutelage, and he's clearly a crucial voice in the dressing room. It would be foolhardy to clear out all of the characters who've set the tone and standards of mentality over the past five years; we certainly wouldn't have stayed up - or helped to integrate the likes of Bruno so effectively - if it wasn't for the standards set by the likes of Ritchie and Lascelles. 

It would also mean we'd have to buy two new CBs instead of one. Clark and Fernandez aren't playing, so they have to be out the door. We need four out of Schar, BDB, Lascelles and A.N Other.

25 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If Howe was happy to let Lascelles go I'd have every faith that he was making the right call (I love trusting a manager), but based on what we know it seems like an unnecessary way of reducing squad numbers/cashing in. He's not great but he's not terrible and could yet improve, given who else has improved under Howe's tutelage, and he's clearly a crucial voice in the dressing room. It would be foolhardy to clear out all of the characters who've set the tone and standards of mentality over the past five years; we certainly wouldn't have stayed up - or helped to integrate the likes of Bruno so effectively - if it wasn't for the standards set by the likes of Ritchie and Lascelles. 

These are all good points but I think if they get a decent offer for Lascelles they’ll almost certainly take it. Yes they’d have to get another CB. It I’m sure they’ve got a list of options. Trippier surely nailed on to be captain next season too and Lascelles just isn’t going to start for us. You’d think his type of character would be someone who wants to start.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

22 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I just think he's not very good at all, and if we're to reduce our squad size and also look to bring in another central defender, he's the weakest link at the moment out of Schar, Burn, Fernandez. The latter of those three seems content at being a squad player, whereas I don't know how Lascelles would react to sitting on the bench as only a backup.

I believe we should have our captain on the pitch, leading from the front, not on the bench so either our captain will be sitting on the bench, or he has the captaincy removed which might cause friction in the dressing room. Him going to Forest just seems like a very obvious way out of a potentially sticky situation where we're having to tip-toe around our captain being one of the worst players on the pitch (imo).

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Now that we have Trippier and Bruno, I see it as a changing of the guard in terms of leadership anyway. 

Trippier has to be the captain for next season. No doubt in my mind.

Having looked back at links since Dec/Jan and then since we've pretty much looked like staying up, as well as the comments Howe has made about signings, particularly about looking at players going into the last year of their deals, I think there's a very strong possibility we see the following:

Right wing - Marco Asensio (Real Madrid): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £21 million.

Central midfield - Renato Sanches (Lille): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £17 million.

Left back - Alex Grimaldo (Benfica): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £17 million.

Centre back - Jason Denayer (Lyon): End of contract, no fee.

Striker - Joao Pedro (Watford): We were linked this morning. Watford have said he can leave for £25 million. Apparently Reims rejected a bid of £29 million for Ekitike from us late on in Jan because they weren't happy with the clauses, and so that looks like it's done. Reims wanted £33 million for him, £25 million flat and £8 million in 'achievable/realistic' clauses.

Goal keeper - Dean Henderson (Man Utd): Looking like this one will be somewhere around £15/£20 million.

Edited by KaKa

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Having looked back at links since Dec/Jan and then since we've pretty much looked like staying up, as well as the comments Howe has made about signings, particularly about looking at players going into the last year of their deals, I think there's a very strong possibility we see the following:

Right wing - Marco Asensio (Real Madrid): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £21 million.

Central midfield - Renao Sanches (Lille): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £17 million.

Left back - Alex Grimaldo (Benfica): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £17 million.

Striker - Joao Pedro (Watford): Watford have said he can leave for £25 million. Apparently Reims rejected a bid of £29 million for Ekitike from us late on in Jan because they weren't happy with the clauses, and so that looks like it's done.

Goal keeper - Dean Henderson (Man Utd): Looking like this one will be somewhere around £15/£20 million.

Grimaldo and Denayer would be insteresting left field shouts for LB/CB. 

Asensio seems unlikely due to wages right?

From what I understood the main reason Ekitike didn't happen in Jan was more down to him wanting to play a full season at Reims before moving. 

Renato seems pretty nailed on to go to AC Milan from what I've seen. They can have Renato and we'll take Botman! 

Joao Pedro, must admit I haven't watched him enough but I don't think he's anything special. 

Just now, NWMag said:

If we could get money for lascelles and replace him with a free transfer like Tarkowski then it’s a no brainer 

Tarkowski is on more money and is of a similar (if not lesser) standard. We don’t need a relatively paltry £10-12m in the bank, simply to increase the wages for no playing benefit. 

33 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Central midfield - Renato Sanches (Lille): Last year of contract, price apparently set at £17 million.

Striker - Joao Pedro (Watford): We were linked this morning. Watford have said he can leave for £25 million. Apparently Reims rejected a bid of £29 million for Ekitike from us late on in Jan because they weren't happy with the clauses, and so that looks like it's done. Reims wanted £33 million for him, £25 million flat and £8 million in 'achievable/realistic' clauses.

I'm all for making shrewd additions with FFP in mind but I would definitely be surprised if the bulk of our signings are players we're getting on the cheap due to a contract situation.

I would hope we'll try to get the players that Howe/Ashworth really feel will be the best players on the pitch for years to come rather trying to primarily get what we feel are the best of the affordable options.

Your post reads like an ambitious Mike Ashley era summer rather than that of a team looking to make some real noise next season IMO.

59 minutes ago, Emotic said:

It would also mean we'd have to buy two new CBs instead of one. Clark and Fernandez aren't playing, so they have to be out the door. We need four out of Schar, BDB, Lascelles and A.N Other.

Ideally this is what happens, but we may find it easier to shift Lascelles than Fernandez & Clark so may opt to have them as back-ups instead.

I think Lascelles and Darlow or Woodman will head to Forest, £15m in the kitty and two squad places freed up. I can see Murphy ending up at a Blackburn / Stoke / Boro. Problem will be Gayle and Hendrick. Hendrick in particular is the new Colback where we’ve horrendously overpaid on a long contract.

54 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

From what I understood the main reason Ekitike didn't happen in Jan was more down to him wanting to play a full season at Reims before moving. 

Renato seems pretty nailed on to go to AC Milan from what I've seen. They can have Renato and we'll take Botman! 

Joao Pedro, must admit I haven't watched him enough but I don't think he's anything special. 

Grimaldo - Strongly linked in Jan, but the threat of relegation likely made this one difficult as he is very highly rated, and so think this one was put on the back burner for the summer with him going into the last year of his contract. Very attack minded. 6 goals and 9 assists for Benfica from left back this season.

https://www.jn.pt/desporto/videos/zaidu-e-grimaldo-na-lista-do-newcastle-no-ataque-deste-sabado-14515722.html

Jason Denayer - Been very strongly linked since December. Asking for £80,000 a week as a free transfer. With how well Dan Burn has done, I think we will add Denayer as an ideal partner, as he adds a lot of pace and ability on the ball. Has loads of experience, and is only just 26 years old. He wants to go somewhere he will play leading up to the world cup, which puts us at an advantage.

Asensio - Apparently we already offered him 10 million Euros a year net (around £160,000 a week). The other most interested party was apparently AC Milan who were offering him 5 million Euros, and he wanted at least 7 million Euros.

https://www.elnacional.cat/ca/esports/marco-asensio-ha-de-decidir-si-accepta-l-oferta-que-ho-fara-multimilionari-o-segueix-en-el-reial-madrid_690137_102.html

https://www.acmilaninfo.com/marco-asensio-wage-demands-ac-milan/

Renato - We've been strongly linked with him leading up to the window. AC Milan are interested but they don't have the money for the wages he wants. Apparently he wants around what we've offered to Asensio (around £160,000 a week), which is really interesting because both he and Asensio are under the agent Jorge Mendes. I think Mendes might deliver both to us.

https://milanreports.com/2022/03/29/renato-sanches-big-salary-at-milan/

Joao Pedro - I am really confident Joelinton is going to be pushed a bit further up next season, to play as support striker/attacking midfielder in behind and around Callum Wilson, similar to the role Josh King had when he played with Wilson. Ekitike and Joao Pedro fit this same profile, as younger back up options with huge potential, who similar to King and Joelinton, can also play on the left. Joao Pedro has the advantage of having got a good amount of games in both the Championship and the Premier League already now.

Joao Pedro breakdown - https://theathletic.com/3334585/2022/05/30/watford-joao-pedro-transfer/

Edited by KaKa

25 minutes ago, Shak said:

I'm all for making shrewd additions with FFP in mind but I would definitely be surprised if the bulk of our signings are players we're getting on the cheap due to a contract situation.

I would hope we'll try to get the players that Howe/Ashworth really feel will be the best players on the pitch for years to come rather trying to primarily get what we feel are the best of the affordable options.

Your post reads like an ambitious Mike Ashley era summer rather than that of a team looking to make some real noise next season IMO.

Wow ... it's not about signing them just because of the contract situation. It's about taking advantage of the situation to sign top class players that will take us to the next level quicker.

Asensio, Renato and Grimaldo are all players we wouldn't be able to sign all at once if their contracts weren't running down. The cost for all 3 together ordinarily would be around £120 million!

Edited by KaKa

Asensio has zero league assists this season. It’s the first time he’s ever reached double figures in league goals. He does not even average a dribble completed, key pass, or foul drawn per game in the league. His Champions League statistics are similarly abysmal. For £160kpw? No thanks. 

Don't want to sell Lascelles unless we receive a very sizable bid and he's very adamant to leave. He looked shit under Bruce but under proper management from Benítez and Howe he's a very capable understudy. We also need leaders in the dressing room.

1 hour ago, Joey47 said:

Agree with all the above.

Denayer would be a really good option as 3rd/4th CB. Don't know enough about Grimaldo but he's obviously someone we were keen on.