More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

I disagree with saying xG is pretty useless.

xG is the probability that a shot will be converted to a goal based on the characteristics of that shot and by comparing it to the outcome of thousands of similar shots. 

So xG is the number of goals the average player would have scored if he was provided with those particular chances (since it calculates the probability based on average). If Nunez scored double his xG, it means he scored double what the average striker would have scored if both were given similar chances. That’s a pretty big deal. 

however, I agree with you on saying the xG of a single season could be misleading, as that sample could simply be an outlier and not a true representation of his skills. I can’t argue with that, and we won’t know unless we see how performs in the next couple of years. 

I agree with your take on xG.

Regarding Nunez and him scoring double his xG, the question is: Has he managed to do that because he is an elite finisher or has he been extremely lucky?

I've seen in here about players who usually outperform their xG like Kane and Son but how many other forwards actually double their xG?

Earlier on, I saw footage of Ashworth from his Brighton days (naturally I can't find it now), talking about how we'll probably operate going forward. At Brighton he had a traffic light system based on three factors: i) the input of the recruitment team ii) the input of the head coach iii) the financial viability of the transfer. He'd talk things through with all parties concerned before proceeding with a transfer.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No sensible club would have a plan like “we’ll sign three players” anyway. Doesn’t make any sense. 

It does for dressing room harmony which Howe has openly stated is his biggest challenge whilst improving the squad.

Its always been seen as the right amount of players to interchange in a squad from past successful managers.

16 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

I agree with your take on xG.

Regarding Nunez and him scoring double his xG, the question is: Has he managed to do that because he is an elite finisher or has he been extremely lucky?

I've seen in here about players who usually outperform their xG like Kane and Son but how many other forwards actually double their xG?

Do you know who else scored double his xG? Hugo Ekitike 😂

It seems Eddie likes those stats lol. 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Earlier on, I saw footage of Ashworth from his Brighton days (naturally I can't find it now), talking about how we'll probably operate going forward. At Brighton he had a traffic light system based on three factors: i) the input of the recruitment team ii) the input of the head coach iii) the financial viability of the transfer. He'd talk things through with all parties concerned before proceeding with a transfer.

This is why I always felt that rather than his arrival signalling a sudden influx of signings, he'll probably want to have a look at where we are with various negotiations and offer advice, opinions and/or assistance with the process.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Its always been seen as the right amount of players to interchange in a squad from past successful managers.

What's the evidence for this?

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'm more than happy to take a quality over quantity approach, but I'll be amazed if we only sign three players.

We need young players since we have almost nothing coming through the academy as well.

Guest neesy111

It's very likely they'll be outgoings from some fringe players who will need replacing etc.

Also like all clubs if the right deal comes along for a player you should go for it if the money is there.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If you’re looking to take a team from 5th to 4th or 2nd to 1st maybe. When you’re trying to go from mid-table to challenging the top 6 you need more than that.

It also depends on what type of players your signing is it first team or is it squad players.  I'd argue we need to strengthen both.

Three permanent quality signings plus a couple of astute loan signings (with options to buy) wouldn't seem outrageous. That's half a team.

One real problem we'd have then would be that none of the current players contracts run out this summer and many which aren't regulars now are on decent wages.

We'd have about 35 players then for 25 squad spaces. It'd be almost as much work to move that many players out or on loan.

FYI, I like the Botman deal for many reasons (hopefully it happens) but he's clearly been identified by the team as the top CB target and they've done their homework on him. I trust the club did their homework on him. I also respect they didnt go back in for Diego Carlos and have other players in mind if Botman doesn't happen. 

Re our budget, I was listening to the Pod on the Tyne episode with Shearer on, which was recorded just last week. Caulkin says that the club have said Ashworth will arrive in November. Goes to show that not everything they’re briefing out (even to blue eyed George) is accurate! 

46 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

41 minutes ago, Ikon said:

No matter what, I really don’t want cast offs from other PL. clubs. 

What would you define as a 'cast off' though? Burn, Targett?

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

What would you define as a 'cast off' though? Burn, Targett?

More like players from the greedy top clubs I would probably say. I want us to get players like Bruno for example, players that will build a name for themselves in this league with us, growing together. I don’t mind players from other clubs in England as long as they are here for the right reasons and have hunger as well as being on the way up preferably. If good enough of course. 

Edited by Ikon

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

On the other hand though, some of these players want to leave to play football. 

There’s always exceptions obviously. Personally I don’t want players that are “Too” much Liverpool, ManU coloured and so on.. I want us to create our own legends and get people on their way up in their careers. Not known names on high wages that haven’t performed.

Edited by Ikon