More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

A full-fit* DCL is one of the best strikers in the Premier League.

*I can understand people not wanting him due to his injury record but doubting his ability is ridiculous. 

He’s poor 1v1. We currently have 2 wingers who rarely cross the ball for someone with heading ability as we’ve seen with how few chances we actually created for Wood over half a season.

I doubt how hungry he is and by his own omission and recent statement he’s struggling mentally which as harsh as it sounds isn’t a ringing endorsement for someone who is wether he likes it or not will have the biggest expectations put on him from the fans, management and owners due to the outlay and symbolic position he’ll be playing for this club.

4 hours ago, joeyt said:

Maybe one for the pet hates thread but the editing of wiki pages for footballers are rarely ever funny or clever and ends up being a bit of a bug bear for me (sorry for being a spoilsport)

The only one I can remember finding funny was someone editing Papiss Cisse's which said  Place of Birth: Offside,Senegal

Thought it was a joke when Rio Mavuba's place of birth read "at sea".

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Disagree. It’s always a useful metric. It’s not deceptive - if a player consistently scores from range or daft angles it means you can rely on them to constantly outperform their Xg. 

It’s a data point. It’s useful as a data point. Their are many data points. 

I think confidence is also reflected in Xg. Confident players tend to get into better goal scoring positions and have higher Xg.  

But all of that comes with caveats.

I'm not saying xG is useless, the exact opposite, used properly it's probably one of the most useful stats you can draw from as it allows the data brains behind the scenes to distil down sections of the game to find out what leads to goals. For example you could look at how teams playing in a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers do against sides playing 3 at the back. The xG there could be very helpful (although it would still likely need a proper data analyst to filter the correct data to compliment it).

Just looking at a players xG compared to their goals scored though tells you nowt yet over the past few years it seems to have crept into footy discourse in that way. James Ward-Prowes scores lots of free kicks so he will probably have a low xG in comparison to goals scored. I don't see how the xG stat helps me know anything extra here. I just know that JWP is ridiculous from set pieces. You can apply that to any decent goal scorer in any of the top leagues, their effectiveness in front of goal will be clear to those who watch them, and any layman trying to see an xG stat will still need to either watch the player themselves, or ask someone who has done to give them the details that are actually necessary.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

DCL is nowhere near the best in the world at anything.

I really hope we don't sign DCL. However I think he could be one of the best strikers in the world at winning headers, his jumping reach is quite crazy.

But we already have Chris Wood for flicking the ball on (giving it back to the opposition)[emoji38]

No point in spending 40 million on a striker who is no better than Wilson so that rules DCl and Toney out for me , appreciate Wilson won’t always be fit but we need someone either better than him or who won’t mind sitting on the bench when Wilson is fit .

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

But all of that comes with caveats.

I'm not saying xG is useless, the exact opposite, used properly it's probably one of the most useful stats you can draw from as it allows the data brains behind the scenes to distil down sections of the game to find out what leads to goals. For example you could look at how teams playing in a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers do against sides playing 3 at the back. The xG there could be very helpful (although it would still likely need a proper data analyst to filter the correct data to compliment it).

Just looking at a players xG compared to their goals scored though tells you nowt yet over the past few years it seems to have crept into footy discourse in that way. James Ward-Prowes scores lots of free kicks so he will probably have a low xG in comparison to goals scored. I don't see how the xG stat helps me know anything extra here. I just know that JWP is ridiculous from set pieces. You can apply that to any decent goal scorer in any of the top leagues, their effectiveness in front of goal will be clear to those who watch them, and any layman trying to see an xG stat will still need to either watch the player themselves, or ask someone who has done to give them the details that are actually necessary.

What do you think the stat is for?

You use it with the eye test, not instead. Data aims to remove a level of bias. 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Listening to the live true faith podcast and sorry if it’s been mentioned but Craig Hope says he’s told we’ll sign 3 players 

Listening to the voices in my head and they say 7.     

Which one will be right!

4 hours ago, nemtizz said:

Overall or soon?

It was from the live podcast last week.

I'm sorry, but they really don't know anything. I like Hope, but it's purely speculation. 

Edited by Rocker

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Listening to the live true faith podcast and sorry if it’s been mentioned but Craig Hope says he’s told we’ll sign 3 players 

He says 3 30 million pound players 

21 minutes ago, gdm said:

Don't listen to any of them, as they all got it totally wrong in January.