More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Also reports today he has turned down Man United. 

Does he stay at Brentford or have we managed to convince him? 

I imagine he stays at Brentford, believe he it's been mentioned he would ideally like to stay in London. 

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Didn't realise he was 30! Thought he was mid 20s.

The fact we've gone for someone at that age and experience tells me he's coming in to be number 1, and eventually Dubravka will be replaced with someone younger.

Just now, KaKa said:

The fact we've gone for someone at that age and experience tells me he's coming in to be number 1, and eventually Dubravka will be replaced with someone younger.

Yep and World Cup around the corner for Pope.

That Luke Edwards article has a lot of detail in it, I think he might have some pretty good insight.

Makes Ekitike and his representatives sound absolutely terrible, my God man. If you are exploring other options and don't want to join just come out and say so.

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

Having too many deals done last day will mean we haven’t done good enough.

This is exatly what I refer t when I say I'd be comfortable starting the season with the same as we ended the last. In an ideal world we would have all of our targets signed before pre-season begins. But in the real world that is unlikely to happen and there is no reason to panic. We have a good squad, when performing to their best, and a coach who has proven he can get the best out of them. We can introduce our ew signings when they are ready. It might mean losing a bit of ground, early on, and this might mean a lower finishing position, but it's the way to do things.

7 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

This is exatly what I refer t when I say I'd be comfortable starting the season with the same as we ended the last. In an ideal world we would have all of our targets signed before pre-season begins. But in the real world that is unlikely to happen and there is no reason to panic. We have a good squad, when performing to their best, and a coach who has proven he can get the best out of them. We can introduce our ew signings when they are ready. It might mean losing a bit of ground, early on, and this might mean a lower finishing position, but it's the way to do things.

All the other teams in the league will improve. Standing still is going backwards, not bringing anyone in would be a disaster imo.

Edit: just re-read and think I may have misunderstood your comment. You mean bringing a few in after the season starts is fine?

Edited by BoSelecta

Strange one this. I've got no idea if he's better than what we've got. Good competition, I get that, but I thought we'd have been bringing someone in who was obviously head and shoulders above Dubs, at the very least someone who has shown that they are a good modern style goalkeeper (which Pope may be, but he hasn't had the opportunity to show it, so are we just guessing that he can do it?)

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

All the other teams in the league will improve. Standing still is going backwards, not bringing anyone in would be a disaster imo.

We can introduce our ew signings when they are ready.

Okay maybe the missing 'n' threw you.

Edit: just re-read and think I may have misunderstood your comment. You mean bringing a few in after the season starts is fine?

Aye.

Perp isn't the goalie of my dreams but Dubravka is desperate for competition at the very least, and this lad has a World Cup place to fight for. At £8-10m it's a no-brainer and another important bit of recruitment ticked off at a very reasonable price. At the very least our second choice is going to be a significant upgrade, whether that's Pope or Dubs.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Perp isn't the goalie of my dreams but Dubravka is desperate for competition at the very least, and this lad has a World Cup place to fight for. At £8-10m it's a no-brainer and another important bit of recruitment ticked off at a very reasonable price. At the very least our second choice is going to be a significant upgrade, whether that's Pope or Dubs.

Exactly this, you're making a major squad upgrade with two keepers perfectly capable in the PL who will push each other through competition.

33 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

If he joins, DFDS need to start their Ferry’s to Denmark again. Criminal you can’t get to Scandinavia from Newcastle.

Sickening anti Loganair misinformation campaign from young Dazzler here. Can fly to Bergen and Stavanger.

Maybe they’re hoping competition will bring the best out of both Pope and Dubs.

Otherwise I don’t understand this move really considering Pope is no better than Dubs. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Peak Given and Harper scenario. Though can’t see a Dubs being as committed/accepting as Steve Harper was (I thought he had the potential to have an even better career and think it’s admirable he stayed), if it works out he’s mainly on the bench/doing cup games.