More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, midds said:

We simply don't have the time or the cash to solve all of the problems in a window or 2. We're going to have to accept as fans the fact that we're still going to be a bit short in a few areas for a few years yet, we absolutely will pick up injuries and suspensions this year and we've not got the squad to cope with it yet. Jumping from relegation fodder to pushing for Europe is a 3 year deal imo, we're going to have to dip deep into the squad and the strengthening needs to be a medium term thing. I'm ruling out pushing for top 4 or top 6 or whatever. I would like more points, more goals, fewer conceded and more clean sheets next year. If that happens I'll be more than happy. 

Setting expectations that are clearly not achievable with the squad we currently have will only lead to frustration and disappointment. They're investing more cash into the team and the club than we've ever seen before. Please don't have pops at them if player x or player y doesn't sign, they're demonstrably doing their best. 

I think that's a decent attitude to have, but I still think if players of top calibre become available within our wage structure, we'll find the money to make it happen. Paqueta and Diaby certainly fall in that category of you grab them while you can.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think that's a decent attitude to have, but I still think if players of top calibre become available within our wage structure, we'll find the money to make it happen. Paqueta and Diaby certainly fall in that category of you grab them while you can.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like as many quality players in the squad as possible and if Paqueta becomes available and the money is there then I'd love to see him in a black and white shirt. Same goes for Diaby. But I'll not lose my shit and moan like fuck if Almiron, Fraser, Shelvey and Longstaff are playing because Paqueta and Diaby were unaffordable. It's a gradual process we're embarking on here and it'll take a few years before we have strength in depth in all positions :thup:

10 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Each to their own. You obviously enjoy the sight of Shelvey and Longstaff running through treacle. 

You obviously enjoy the sight of Almiron turning back and causing no threat at all and don’t get me started on Murphy’s shooting and decision making :lol:

40 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Double pivot ffs, new fangald bollocks for two hard working central midfielders who do the lot. Cover each other, one goes the other stays, pretty simple really.

Sorry old school here.

May as well have just kept Bruce eh?

1 minute ago, midds said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd like as many quality players in the squad as possible and if Paqueta becomes available and the money is there then I'd love to see him in a black and white shirt. Same goes for Diaby. But I'll not lose my shit and moan like fuck if Almiron, Fraser, Shelvey and Longstaff are playing because Paqueta and Diaby were unaffordable. It's a gradual process we're embarking on here and it'll take a few years before we have strength in depth in all positions :thup:

Not many are, it was just a hypothetical either/or, not a demand.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

You obviously enjoy the sight of Almiron turning back and causing no threat at all and don’t get me started on Murphy’s shooting and decision making :lol:

Nobody enjoys either but if we can do away with one and replace with a particular player.....which is to the most benefit of the team ?

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

At least they compete athletically and physically. It is a minimum requirement of top level football and regrettably Shelvey and Longstaff struggle with it.

4 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

At least they compete athletically and physically. It is a minimum requirement of top level football and regrettably Shelvey and Longstaff struggle with it.

True. Ideal world we get Paqueta & Diaby. Not gonna happen tho imo. I actually struggle to believe we’ll get either of them 

Edited by gdm

9 minutes ago, midds said:

Yep. We need to keep our feet on the ground especially considering Big 6 clubs will be competing with us, but don't rule anything out if the right players become available this window. As pointed out by @Optimistic Nut Asensio is in the mix as well.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

True. Ideal world we get Paqueta & Diaby. Not gonna happen tho imo. I actually struggle to believe we’ll get either of them 

Now that I agree on.

My big hope is we don't splurge big on DCL, Gordon or Harrison as Howe does like British players but they're often overhyped and over priced.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think the biggest obstacle with Diaby will be convincing the player, with Paqueta thr biggest obstacle will be the fee.

Diaby is being quoted as being dearer than Paqueta 

Just now, gdm said:

Diaby is being quoted as being dearer than Paqueta 

It seems to depends on the source. I've read  everything from £35 million to £60 million. I think if we offered £40 million Leverkusen would listen, as that's a fair price for him. He's not a £50 million to £60 million player, not yet anyway.

4 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

And Eriksen, and Tielemans. That creative midfield position definitely seems to be one that we are after if those links were correct.

I don’t think it’s necessarily about us specifically chasing a creative midfielder, I just think we’re open to any player who is available and improve us.

Eriksen and Tielemans fit both of that criteria. An improvement and readily available.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily about us specifically chasing a creative midfielder, I just think we’re open to any player who is available and improve us.

Eriksen and Tielemans fit both of that criteria. An improvement and readily available.

Yes.

12 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Diaby + striker > Paq, but imagine we got all 3.

Be certainly pushing top 6 with all 3. Think the former will get us as 'best of the rest' but Paqueta on top would definitely have us right up there. Issue is the cost that would be, especially on top of what we've already spent in the last year.

1 hour ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I don't see RW as a priority.

We have Murphy, Fraser and Almiron all of whom could play there. Are they top 6 standard? No, but they all offer something different and graft for the team. It's good enough for another season. You could even add Joelinton to that list.

A CM could transform us from a counter attacking team to one that keeps possession and controls games. 

As someone else has said, it also allows us to stay strong in that department should Bruno get injured or suspended.

If it was a straight choice, I'd want Pacueta over Diaby.

My concern with this is that we may end up having possession and not having the outlets to take advantage of it.

I predict we're already going to see a lot more opponents set themselves up conservatively against us, knowing what we've turned into since this time last year.

The more we bring the possession onus onto ourselves, the more we'll need top class incisiveness up top to apply the coup de grace. I back Wilson for that, but Wood? Almiron? Murphy? Fraser? Saint Maximin? I'm not so certain. Which could lead to a lot of frustrating draws and Everton away style results.

31 minutes ago, 80 said:

My concern with this is that we may end up having possession and not having the outlets to take advantage of it.

I predict we're already going to see a lot more opponents set themselves up conservatively against us, knowing what we've turned into since this time last year.

The more we bring the possession onus onto ourselves, the more we'll need top class incisiveness up top to apply the coup de grace. I back Wilson for that, but Wood? Almiron? Murphy? Fraser? Saint Maximin? I'm not so certain. Which could lead to a lot of frustrating draws and Everton away style results.

That's why we need 3 players, a quality CM to allow our midfield to take control of games, supply the wings, whilst also getting a fair amount of assists and goals. A quality right winger, because the players we have there are just not good enough. And finally a centre forward of a decent level of quality (either young or established), as unfortunately you cannot rely on Wilson to be fit for even much more than half the season, never mind the majority of it. I'm pretty confident we will get players for all 3 positions. Time will tell though if we actually do.

Edited by et tu brute