More transfer rumours

midds

2 hours ago, clintdempsey said:

I don't consider myself insane or on the wind-up (but I guess that's not for me to decide :D).

All I'm saying is that should the window close today we have some gaping holes in the squad which should have been fixed.
A striker and a winger is really, really needed and if we could somehow sneak a midfielder in as well that'd be an awesome window.

That's not taking anything away from the work put in during the January window or the signings made so far. It would be nice though to miss out on the "frustrated at exorbitant prices"/"in line with FFP"-stories that seem to come up with every link. Hopefully we are just keeping our cards close to our chest and will get the required business done.

It's not so much the final position in itself that's important. It's more how we look during the season, how we treat the cups and so on. We have a great opportunity to build something special here and ride the wave of good will from the takeover and the second half of the season. Momentum is key and I'd hate to lose that.

It's a little bit crazy to be imagining the window shutting when there's 4/5 weeks left.

It would be brilliant to have our squad finalised before the season starts, but I don't think that ever happens. The biggest transfers tend to happen in the last days.

The quotes are from earlier in the summer relating to another transfer - so things could have changed.

But it does make sense that he'd be keen to stay and develop for a bit longer. For all the unsavoury elements that come with Red Bull involvement in football young players join them because they are very good at offering clear progression, development and ultimately success for young players. He is Adeyemi's replacement this season - and in a year or twos time he will probably get the same move to a CL team in a bigger league.

It will take a lot of convincing (and a big salary) to persuade a young lad to deviate from this path. Or a persuasive agent who is keen to bring his own income forward.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

I'm really not sure why people are believing all these reports that we're exasperated by prices and surprised by them, or that we're waiting for clubs to go bust to pick up players on a free.

There's no substance to any of it. Most of these journalists have to write something and because things are quiet that's the easiest route to go down. 

i don't know why anybody believes any reports unless they state the deal is done.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

I also think we will have to overpay to get the players we need. 

Didn't we do that already, to a degree, with Botman? We outbid AC who would have probably got him for their price if we hadn't. We'll probably have to do that for the bigger names who attract more attention.

1 hour ago, Joey47 said:

A few comments I've just seen about Harrison on a Leeds forum:

Also a lot of talk about Harrison not really fitting into their current system as he is a Winger and Marsch's 4222 is a narrow system.

Imagine what they would say if they had wingers who scored 1-2 goals per season...

3 hours ago, Yelevats said:

Not allowed to say anything negative about the owners! We should be grateful for everything!

Yes, pretty much. Unlike Ashley, they actually are putting their own money into the club as things stand. We can reassess once the club has been fully scraped off the floor.

3 hours ago, Ikon said:

Hard to argue with this (signing ST, RW, CM). Deals that should be done imo if we aim to be ambitious.

Easier said than done, spaffing £125m minimum on Ivan Toney, Jack Harrison and Pacqueta to keep up appearances. In my view there's only a guaranteed hit rate of 1 in 3 on those signings.

3 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

If reports are true the people running the club seem to be.

These are people who I'm sure are staunch believers in free markets and the ability of the market to decide.

The market is what it is, they either participate in it or we fall behind other clubs who are.

Well, the free market involves being free to walk away and let others drown in their own over heated speculation too. We're an actor in the market and help set the price by saying 'nope, that's not worth it to us'.

Are we falling behind Everton when they buy Dele Alli for £40m or are we falling ahead of them? Are we falling behind or ahead of Forest when they pay Bruno's wages + 50% for Jesse Lingard? It's all judgement and choices.

3 hours ago, loki679 said:

Or just rock up to the training ground in a gold plated rolls royce and two dumper trucks full of cash while the Saudi Air Force drops gold bars and hookers from helicopters.  That'd be mint.

Do these hookers have parachutes?

4 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yes, pretty much. Unlike Ashley, they actually are putting their own money into the club as things stand. We can reassess once the club has been fully scraped off the floor.

Easier said than done, spaffing £125m minimum on Ivan Toney, Jack Harrison and Pacqueta to keep up appearances. In my view there's only a guaranteed hit rate of 1 in 3 on those signings.

Well, the free market involves being free to walk away and let others drown in their own over heated speculation too. We're an actor in the market and help set the price by saying 'nope, that's not worth it to us'.

Are we falling behind Everton when they buy Dele Alli for £40m or are we falling ahead of them? Are we falling behind or ahead of Forest when they pay Bruno's wages + 50% for Jesse Lingard? It's all judgement and choices.

:thup:

Horses for courses. That's why the big six seem to get an easy ride in the transfer market. Basically when they want a player, the chances are the player wants to the move. What chance did Leeds have in fending off Man City for Phillips? Zero, therefore agreeing a fee becomes much easier.

We could improve our squad today, but at what cost in the long term? Everton tried that and so did Villa's previous incarnation.

We don't need to be stuck with half a dozen players who we signed for the short term like Wood, who all take up big wages and would be tough to get off the books.

11 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Do these hookers have parachutes?

3 hours ago, loki679 said:

Or just rock up to the training ground in a gold plated rolls royce and two dumper trucks full of cash while the Saudi Air Force drops gold bars and hookers from helicopters.  That'd be mint.

What do you think? :lol:

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

We should just believe the positive stories instead 

If people want to believe we're waiting to see if a club goes bust before moving for a player that's completely their own right, of course.

24 minutes ago, 80 said:

This is something you made up in your head? There are tons of other options that would strengthen and improve our team and squad in many ways compared to now. It doesn't have to be Osimhen, Paqueta and Diaby for example. But personally i see these three positions as key if we wish to improve and end up having a VERY good window. It doesn't have to cost  a bomb, neither is it something i demand or expect. In an ideal world i would love Paqueta, or an even dreamier signing that is extremely unrealistic like Osimhen. For example, Sesko, Madueke and Sucic are three i'd rather have than the ones you mentioned, apart from maybe Paqueta. If that is still too expensive then skip Madueke and get someone like CHO on loan and we still would have a great window getting these 3 key positions sorted out. Or any other midfielder that fits the bill, whether that is a more defensive or attacking minded, or box to box. These 3 would improve us massively overall without any of them being ridiculously expensive. Toney? Wouldn't want, maybe if below 30m.

Edited by Ikon

Just now, The Prophet said:

It's interesting that the Athletic piece on Harrison doesn't say when our alleged bid was made and that Waugh wasn't willing to put his name to it.

I assume its because its unconfirmed on our side.

I think that part came from the Leeds writer for the athletic. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

:thup:

Horses for courses. That's why the big six seem to get an easy ride in the transfer market. Basically when they want a player, the chances are the player wants to the move. What chance did Leeds have in fending off Man City for Phillips? Zero, therefore agreeing a fee becomes much easier.

We could improve our squad today, but at what cost in the long term? Everton tried that and so did Villa's previous incarnation.

We don't need to be stuck with half a dozen players who we signed for the short term like Wood, who all take up big wages and would be tough to get off the books.

If that is our approach, then we might just have to have a season of consolidation, by which I mean consolidating a middle of the table finish. It does surprise me if that's really how it goes down, I never figured the Saudis to be the patient types, only because their name is now associated with Newcastle United. But maybe it's just about doing things properly and not giving the PL officials any rope to hang us with.

We also don't have the luxury of a 10/20m transfer boost from outgoings. MA made sure that we'd spend the first summer trying to let go of the dead wood.

I'm surprised we haven't looked to move on Lascelles or Miggy (who I consider our only likely saleable assests), in order to replenish our budget.

On the other hand, losing our 4th choice centre half and 3rd choice wide player creates a new problem.

Next summer will be a different matter. Along with our new commercial power, we will have several players who might be available for the right price ;Schar, Fraser, Krafth, Longstaff, Willock, Murphy, Almiron, Wood, Dubravka and maybe even ASM, will all be potential outgoings.

Do the local press get any info any more? I don't mean the local journalists working for the nationals and The Athletic but I can't remember the last time The Chronicle had an 'exclusive' like Gibson & Oliver had regularly. It's always 'Reports suggest...' and never 'According to our sources'.

8 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Have Everton become the new ‘doing a Portsmouth or Leeds’ that the press and other fans threatened us with for years whenever we as fanbase suggested Ashley showed a modicum of ambition?

It's not quite the same thing as doing a Leeds or Portsmouth. Those two teams literally nearly spent their way out of existence, which we know given the money behind the Saudi's is pretty much impossible to do while they're around. What is possible is 'doing an Everton' in falling foul of FFP, and being in a situation where, there may be money there to spend from the owners, but we can't without fully breaking FFP rules. A position Everton were in last Summer, and to a lesser extent this Summer.

So whilst money may, in theory, be no object. Financial Fair Play rules, and the implications of breaking them, very much are. This should hopefully be addressed in the next year or so, I expect us to grow our commercial revenue significantly. But until we do, we can't go out spending huge sums every window. 

Edited by sushimonster85

I still think it's just a case of us holding our nerve before securing a couple of targets we really want at a fair price. I suspect, a la January, we'll look back on this section of the summer and wonder what we were all worrying about. (/Not worrying)

We've got pros running the whole operation. Total faith we'll make a success of the window, it might just take till the end of August. 

4 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I think we are trying to assemble a football  club rather than an expensively assembled squad too. There's long term thinking now, which it is hard to argue has been present at Everton for years. 

The right signings, at the right price, with the right future potential and the right mindset is a perfect approach, as frustrating as it is. But it just keeps bringing me back to what the fuck led us to spaf £25m on Chris Wood :lol: