More transfer rumours

midds

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We only go for players who are out of our price range according to the press ?

I've stopped reading any articles with Harrison and Gordon mentioned, and will now add Harvey Barnes to the list :lol:

Think they're getting a kick out of trying to wind up NUFC fans with the idea that our lot are struggling and panicking about getting players in that clubs don't want to sell.

Unless it's a new name that seems feasible, and might make some sense, I'm not reading the article.

Starting to think this may be a case of waiting clubs out now. Weve got the targets weve got so far because we've been working on them since January. Clubs may change their mind when there is only a week to go and they realise the player wants to leave and no other clubs are willing to spend 30M on them.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

The only thing I can think, is that they will eventually pay what they have to in order to get the player they want but right now are trying to pull fees down.

It makes zero sense to low balling sides, knowing that they won't accept, unless we believe in the long run it will save us money.

Think a lot of those articles are to get clicks and wind us up man.

You typically wouldn't even bother trying to pull fees down if the difference in valuation is huge. You can always get an inkling of whether there is room for negotiating.

Not sure we are still interested in most of these names being peddled. But these Journos are that dumb they just keep going on about how we won't pay enough for them.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Go abroad, then. Never getting any deals in the PL for that. He seems a shocking journo btw. Sensationalist tripe is mostly what I've seen.

Yup, it's going to be a name out of the blue that is likely from abroad soon enough.

Unless we decide to go for one of the relegated teams players that are more in that price range, but can't help but think we would have done that by now if we really wanted one of those lot.

Bruno and Targett came out of the blue in January iirc, the first we heard about them was a bid being made. All this 'weighing up', 'monitoring', 'preparing bid' is all nonsense to get emotional football fans like us clicking and reading about it. 

I doubt any journos whether that's Wilson, Edwards insisting on a budget, Hope or anyone like that have a clue. It's no coincidence to me that the Athletic journos have been really quiet this window.

But to entertain that horseshit for a second longer that it needs to be, insisting on not paying over £25m will get you nowhere in the PL and will likely not upgrade what you have unless you find an absolute gem.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

But to entertain that horseshit for a second longer that it needs to be, insisting on not paying over £25m will get you nowhere in the PL and will likely not upgrade what you have unless you find an absolute gem.

Agree for the most part but you could definitely improve upon our wide options with 25m.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Agree for the most part but you could definitely improve upon our wide options with 25m.

If you find a gem which is never guaranteed from abroad, yeah. But £25m gets you Chris Wood or Harry Winks these days, the wide equivalent is no different. Its an insufficient amount to do business in the PL, assuming that's the market we're looking at for whatever reason given the lack of real value.

Am aware this is mainly regarding a wide player but also if we really are gambling on Wilson staying fit then that's proper shite. Needless.

5 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

The spent £35m+ on a CB. They're hardly scared to spend above £25m on a top winger :lol: Journos spout some right shite. 

Playing devils advocate…

unless there is indeed a budget and we only have a certain amount left. It is confusing some things make me think there is a budget and there are things that make me think it doesn’t make sense. Guess time will tell which. 

Edited by gdm

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

You could definitely get significantly better than what we have on the continent for £25 million IMO.

Just mentioned Ludo Blas who is on the market for £17 million. With the emergence of Yeremy Pino at Villareal, you could also likely get Chukwueze in that price range. Noah Lang has been linked also, and is in that price range, Madueke too, and I'm sure there are others.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

If you find a gem which is never guaranteed from abroad, yeah. But £25m gets you Chris Wood or Harry Winks these days, the wide equivalent is no different. Its an insufficient amount to do business in the PL, assuming that's the market we're looking at for whatever reason given the lack of real value.

Am aware this is mainly regarding a wide player but also if we really are gambling on Wilson staying fit then that's proper shite. Needless.

25m could get you Cornet, Dennis or possibly Sarr; all proven PL performers. I will say it probably won’t get you the top performers for a current PL team but there are definitely PL players you can buy for that price that would improve the team. Obviously this is due to how poor (Maxi aside) our wide options are.

32 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Shocking article :lol:

So we're just sat there bidding for players that their clubs have made clear they do not want to lose unless it is for ridiculous money?

The desperation for clicks really has led to some desperate stuff being put out this summer man. Wow.

This is the geezer who suggested that we were making enquiries about Paqueta, after the press suggested his price had dropped. Brain dead stuff.

Any links to Gordon at this stage can be filed as complete bullshit imo. I’m not denying we enquired and do rate him, but since our supposed first offer he’s about to sign a new deal, been given the number 7 shirt and told he will be the main man for them this season. Based on all of that, there isn’t a chance we have bid again and certainly no chance we would bid so low.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Any links to Gordon at this stage can be filed as complete bullshit imo. I’m not denying we enquired and do rate him, but since our supposed first offer he’s about to sign a new deal, been given the number 7 shirt and told he will be the main man for them this season. Based on all of that, there isn’t a chance we have bid again and certainly no chance we would bid so low.

Number 10 shirt* but aye he’s going nowhere this window 

35 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Go abroad, then. Never getting any deals in the PL for that. He seems a shocking journo btw. Sensationalist tripe is mostly what I've seen.

See I don’t get this, I get journalists have sources, but I don’t see how anyone connected with the club rings up Scott and says yeah we only want to spend 25 million on a wide attacker