More transfer rumours

midds

Most reliable news sources want three of a player, an agent, a buying club or a selling club to verify a story before they'll run with a it. By shutting off verification from the buying end, we make it a hell of a lot more difficult for reporters to do their job, particularly the local lads.

A few of the rumours that we do hear will probably have some substance, such as Gordon,  Harrison and Sesko because its in the agents or selling clubs interest to make our interest public knowledge.

If a local journo hears one of these rumours and gets a no comment from the club and they're not well connected to the selling club, it won't be reported because they've been unable to verify.

In January the club were happily talking to the media and journos were getting breifs on Carlos and Botman every other day. This summer Targett and Pope were done within circa 48 hours of breaking and the Italian press broke the Botman news, our lads didn't follow up for a few hours.

It's impossible for Ashworth to shut down everything, but he's certainly made reporters lives more difficult.

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

With the season starting next week,... you do have to start rating it from now.\

You taker Arsenal and Spurs. Nearly all key positions filled in time to participate in pre-season. Good window.

City - still chasing 1 player but everyone signed nice and early.

Then you have Chelsea, Man United.. us... key potentially season defining transfers will happen in the last 5 weeks and most likely after the season has already started. It cannot be an ideal window.

We've got enough stop-gaps for now. We need another 2 players - a level above what we have.

No you don't, it'd be like grading your season in February.

I think we could have done deals yesterday if we just wanted players who improve us slightly, so the likes of Cornet, Dennis or Sarr. Available and in our price range. That we haven't bitten makes me think we must still be confident of landing a higher level of forward, maybe we are just waiting until the market opens up as the window gets smaller.

If we were trying to genuinely make an attempt at top 4, having everything lined up before the season starts is more important as the margins are much tighter. 

As it stands, I think we'll be aiming for top 10 and a cup run, which gives us some leeway to not panic for the start of the season. It also gives us a short window to see how the squad performs in real matches to help steer final recruitment decisions.

While it's always ideal to have everyone in early, it's not the be all. Our manager very successfully integrated a number of new players mid-season.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think we could have done deals yesterday if we just wanted players who improve us slightly, so the likes of Cornet, Dennis or Sarr. Available and in our price range. That we haven't bitten makes me think we must still be confident of landing a higher level of forward, maybe we are just waiting until the market opens up as the window gets smaller.

Saw Sarr and Dennis linked earlier today. Surprisingly decent stats between them.

13 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

Were just waiting for the £140m Provi  Loan [emoji38]

Well it does mean we might be able to do deals which were previously off the table because selling clubs want a lot of money up front.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/07/28/benoit-badiashile-newcastle-united-transfer-deal-eyed/

The original source is our friends from Media Foot, so to be taken with a truck load of salt.

If he is still available I do think he is a possibility in January. He would complete our CB pool and be a hell of a partner for Botman.

It annoys me that we got linked with Sesko at all, because of his agent. I'm now desperate for us to sign him :lol:  Even if extremely unlikely for many reasons. Looks a player who will double his worth in a year or two. Even at 40m+ now. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, Ikon said:

It annoys me that we got linked with Sesko at all, because of his agent. I'm now desperate for us to sign him :lol:  Even if extremely unlikely for many reasons. Looks a player who will double his worth in a year or two, certainly even. Even at 40m+ now. 

Me too. Looks far better than Ekitike.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

It annoys me that we got linked with Sesko at all, because of his agent. I'm now desperate for us to sign him :lol:  Even if extremely unlikely for many reasons. Looks a player who will double his worth in a year or two. Even at 40m+ now. 

He added 15m just last night unfortunately

13 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

He added 15m just last night unfortunately

Don’t be silly. A good performance in a pre season friendly added nothing. He was always gonna be valued too high for us. That’s due to performances in his league and CL not a friendly ffs 

fuckin hell Almiron would be worth £40m :lol: 

Edited by gdm

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Did we decide where Werner would fit in the side? 

Hes capable of playing anywhere across the front 3 and has played in all 3 for Chelsea and Leipzig. I think it would be easy to slot him into the RW position and be done with it. No reason him and ASM can't swap sides throughout matches as well to mix things up. 

Not sure these links have much to them though, however he is the type of signing I would expect to happen closer to the window closing if anything when Werner and his guys get more and more concerned that he won't play enough.

51 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

If we were trying to genuinely make an attempt at top 4, having everything lined up before the season starts is more important as the margins are much tighter. 

As it stands, I think we'll be aiming for top 10 and a cup run, which gives us some leeway to not panic for the start of the season. It also gives us a short window to see how the squad performs in real matches to help steer final recruitment decisions.

While it's always ideal to have everyone in early, it's not the be all. Our manager very successfully integrated a number of new players mid-season.

Realistically you're looking at a centre mid and right winger as the 2 positions that could be transformational at the start of the season now - Wilson is currently fit and whilst he is fit he is a top 6 striker.

Almiron's form (albeit preseason) makes it that bit more difficult to get a transformational signing there so you are left with the third peg of the Bruno-Joe/? triangle to fill as an immediate priority.

Yes we need another forward to cover for Wilson's inevitable injury and a winger to push on ASM/Almiron or whoever would be sensible but its not going to hurt us if they come in over the next fortnight compared to being in pay for Atalanta 

18 minutes ago, gdm said:

Don’t be silly. A good performance in a pre season friendly added nothing. He was always gonna be valued too high for us. That’s due to performances in his league and CL not a friendly ffs 

fuckin hell Almiron would be worth £40m :lol: 

🤣🤣

I'm not serious mate.

Was Joking about the club adding to this price tag after last night...not his actual value 🤣