Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Not really bothered how much we get for him, given that he's 30 and fairly shit, I think we might do well to get £10m. But no complaints, we stayed up so if we have to write off the vast majority of the £25m we paid, can't really complain.

I think anyone assuming they've seen the last of Wood is kidding themselves. Howe likes him and we've invested massively - far beyond his true value, which will make him impossible to shift cos they're never taking a 15-20million hit on a recently-acquired asset. Besides, he's not as bad as people make out and clearly we haven't suffered from him getting an extended run in the team, despite his paltry goals return. 

It might not even be a lost cause for him either. We've seen worse players improve considerably. 

If he’s 3rd/4th choice next year then that’s fair enough imo. Can see us signing a main striker this year to compete with Wilson for the main spot, and an up and coming one too.

Toney, Wilson, Ekitike and Wood (or similar) would be a decent bunch to work with for next year.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Does Howe like him? He dropped him almost immediately. He’s near 30 isn’t he? If he can’t control a football now, he never will be able to. I feel bad digging him out, but he’s genuinely horrendous 

I feel bad for him because he's clearly come in and tried his best but if we are going to be an ambitious and ruthless club going forward then he has no business being here next season.

Be very surprised if he gets many minutes next season. I’d expect us to sign two strikers in this window, one a development prospect and one established. That would put Wood between third and fourth choice depending on how the new players fare. Would probably be best for us both if we parted ways

7 hours ago, Bompeter said:

Given he’s shite with the ball at his feet, shite in the air (although we pumped thousands of long balls at him), and is never in the right place at the right time in the box - what would playing to his strengths have looked like?

His strength is what we all know , wing play into him in the box , weird you ask. 

Look he not been anything to write home about but I can't criticise any of them (except Longstaff) . Served his purpose, however I agree with others it's not the last you will see of him . 

Not sure what makes anyone think he'll be any use next season. The only thing he did well was close down people, and that's because you don't need the ball for that. We looked so much better when Wilson started it immediately became obvious that Wood is shit.

Was waiting for him to find his feet and improve, he didn't, really. Some of his efforts on goal were of the limpest variety. As mentioned above his most positive contribution was his relentless pressing, which certainly helped the cause. If he's here next season the most he could hope for is a run out in the cups

Tbf I think Mitro has done decent numbers in the PL under the circumstances, something like 10 in 35 for us in his first season here and about the same for a newly promoted Fulham a few years back. 

Im very interested to see how he does next season after the year he’s just had in the championship, there might be a bit more to come from him at the highest level.

12 hours ago, Beth said:

I don't understand the clamour for Toney to come back. He's just another Gayle/Mitrovic, great in the Championship but not good enough in the PL.

Toney is good enough for the PL. Dont think he's anything special, though.

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Probably the 12 goals and 5 assists in 33 appearances with a newly promoted side like, something the other 2 have never got anywhere near doing. 

Mitro got 11 goals and 3 assists in a rubbish Fulham side who got relegated, to be fair. Hardly miles apart.

49 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Mitro got 11 goals and 3 assists in a rubbish Fulham side who got relegated, to be fair. Hardly miles apart.

If Toney follows his 12/5 season with a 3 goals 3 assists season like Mitrovic did then yeah I'll agree. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

23 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If Toney follows his 12/5 season with a 3 goals 3 assists season like Mitrovic did then yeah I'll agree. 

Well if Brentford finish bottom next season with one of the worst points totals in PL history than that’d be a fair comparison.

I’m not really even arguing against you, Toney looks to be a great prospect and would agree a better one than Mitro. Just wanted to point out that your comment Mitro had ‘never got anywhere near’ Toney’s season this year wasn’t quite correct.

Mitrovic is a very good player. A tad slow but he has scored internationals, the champions league, everywhere he’s gone to be honest. His decision making of clubs perhaps underrates him as he would definitely score big numbers at a Napoli or a Leipzig or Villarreal. I hope next year he proves his calibre

3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Well if Brentford finish bottom next season with one of the worst points totals in PL history than that’d be a fair comparison.

I’m not really even arguing against you, Toney looks to be a great prospect and would agree a better one than Mitro. Just wanted to point out that your comment Mitro had ‘never got anywhere near’ Toney’s season this year wasn’t quite correct.

Can a 26 yo really be described as a great prospect?