Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

21 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Find it weird people are so desperate to be negative.

I agree with this

7 points from 9 with him in the team

Defenders will be focusing on him whether he is effective or not, that in itself opens up opportunities from set plays

50 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You can’t claim that is contributing to a goal. It’s a simple five yard pass. Joelinton does the work then ASM. How far back in play would you like to go, the pass before to Wood? It makes absolutely zero sense.

The pass before Wood from Willock actually was pretty good. Everton were preparing for a cross and it caught them a bit off guard that left open space for Wood and Joelinton. 

5 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah I’m happy we are winning but it’s literally a case of having a body up there, he’s just not involved  in our goals at all. Yeah same, I wasn’t expecting him to be great I think he’s a poor footballer but I have been shocked by how bad his touch and hold up play is, the ball bounces off him. 

Mate you need to watch the game again

3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

You can’t claim that is contributing to a goal. It’s a simple five yard pass. Joelinton does the work then ASM. How far back in play would you like to go, the pass before to Wood? It makes absolutely zero sense.

You directly said he was contributing and used a pre-pre assist as a metric. “You can see what he’s offering” what a sage lol. I can too. Zero goals or assists, and poor touch. Weghorst plays nothing like Wood actually 

I don’t think you know very much about football, you certainly have a lot of opinions that would not need to be repeated 3 or 4 times if they were based on any knowledge about how football is played.  I’d imagine you don’t play chess either, or be any good at it.

He's been decent so far imo, just needs a goal to get the confidence going.

Glad to see him (and the whole team) looking so happy after the game in that video on the club twitter. Would be easy for him to feel left out if he's not obviously contributing as much right away, but the whole group look really together.

Burnley friend of mine isn't/wasn't bothered when they lost him 

He'll come good - score a few then probably see him on the bench/on loan next year if we stay up.

Having said that his headers on goal so far have been bad (debut game and yesterday) and that was, as mentioned by others already, exactly the sort of thing you'd have expected him to be good at.

The longer he goes on without a goal though the more I think fuck me may as well have kept Carroll.

8 minutes ago, KiwiMagpie said:

I don’t think you know very much about football, you certainly have a lot of opinions that would not need to be repeated 3 or 4 times if they were based on any knowledge about how football is played.  I’d imagine you don’t play chess either, or be any good at it.

Woah, @ManDoonis one of the most knowledgeable posters on here man and this from me who doesn’t agree entirely with his opinions on Wood. 

10 hours ago, dinotheprehistoricgeordie said:

Content with him the team as long as we keep winning. He's not great but we can always hope for a Leon Best like turn of form.

Remember when he scored that blahdy hattrick against West Ham? Ohayayoioohooh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

I think that headed chance he tamely hit at Pickford yesterday shows his lack of confidence atm, coming to us knowing he’s our only realistic starting striker with Wilson out puts some pressure on his head to. Reckon he will come good after 3/4 more games.

What do I need to know about football to realise that Wood has actually been great like?

Like ManDoon says, he's a big body up there, it gives us a target to hit and we've clearly adjusted our game plan around that. If he would also start doing other things it would be very welcome.

EDIT: FWIW I really like the bloke and hope he improves. What we paid was daft but I wanted us to sign him when he was linked.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I like him. He's not a superstar signing, but he's grafting, has a brilliant attitude, and is allowing other players like ASM more space, simply by being on the pitch. Agree though that he does need to start scoring, if only to finish up with 4 or 5 for us, as we need goals from everyone to start seeing games out like we did against Everton. Always feel we'll concede at least one at the moment.

You’re absolutely right that he’s got a top attitude, seems extremely supportive of the other players. Has a

smile on his face when playing, I really hope he can get a goal soon and get up to five before the end of the season. He’s clearly not part of our long-term plans but he’ll get some love if he can play a genuine role in keeping us up 

Unprompted from Eddie:

"But also, it's worth highlighting Chris Wood's impact in that. I think his physicality and his ability to make life very uncomfortable for the opposing centre-halves has been key as well in the last couple of games. I think the balance of the team has been very good."

Then asked how far away he is from the goal he needs:

"He'll want that goal, but it's not lost on me the difference his presence and physicality has made to that front line. There'd be a lot of balls that he's had no right to either get a touch on, or to just knock a defender that means we're able to get up the pitch and spend longer in their half. But also his work rate and his teamwork, so he's covered for Maxi a couple of times when he's out of position. For a striker of his type to do those unselfish things, it's made a big difference to the team. So I don't think you can underestimate all the aspects of his game that have helped the team."

Scraping the barrel, or fair?

Just now, Pardiola said:

Unprompted from Eddie:

"But also, it's worth highlighting Chris Wood's impact in that. I think his physicality and his ability to make life very uncomfortable for the opposing centre-halves has been key as well in the last couple of games. I think the balance of the team has been very good."

"He'll want that goal, but it's not lost on me the difference his presence and physicality has made to that front line. There'd be a lot of balls that he's had no right to either get a touch on, or to just knock a defender that means we're able to get up the pitch and spend longer in their half. But also his work rate and his teamwork, so he's covered for Maxi a couple of times when he's out of position. For a striker of his type to do those unselfish things, it's made a big difference to the team. So I don't think you can underestimate all the aspects of his game that have helped the team."

Fair imo. He’s been very much the team player. I think he realises his own limitations and compensates by putting in a shift. 

4 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

Unprompted from Eddie:

Absolutely spot on. Looking at those stats [12 aerial duels, in a game in which we scored 3] compared with ASM's incredible dribbling stats [when we have barely managed to score] shows how important he is to the team.

Not digging at ASM, He's clearly vital to us for what he brings, just like every player.

8 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

Unprompted from Eddie:

Fair, and he’s obviously highlighting the good stuff to keep him in a good confident frame of mind because he hasn’t scored yet here and hasn’t been among the goals all season. Good sound man management from Howe IMO.

He plays an effective, if not glamorous, role in the side. He allows Willock, ASM and Fraser to get next to and beyond him and into the box. Which in turn allows more goal scoring opportunities for the team thus the chances we had second half at Leeds and on Tuesday night.