Jesse Lingard

12 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Does no-one pick up the phone any more or speak on Zoom etc and bloody agree things before putting in the offer?   Its a bloody strange window this one.

Edited by Awaymag

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Matic is still there and desnt play. And yep is old and was good in his prime. But he's better than what we've got in that position by a mile even though he's past his best, he'd be better than no one, and I think we're desperate for some quality and experience in that role.

Might be shite in comparison to new, ambitious purchases, but if we're struggling to get those in at present, Im not averse to some decent squad additions to help us stay up. Again these are wild, gamble stop gap ideas. But Matic in front of our back 4 would improve us. As grim as that sounds. 

Fair enough. Wouldn't be my choice personally but I can't argue with it, he is better than what we've got. 

I mean why would they loan him out when it's their final opportunity to get a few quid? Then the permanence of the move might put the player off, especially seeing as he'll have preferable offers than a team destined for relegation. That's why I don't blame Van de Beek either; his career is at risk of going down the pan - certainly in this country; why would he join a basket case in order to rejuvenate himself when he could go somewhere better functioning? 

Re Lingard, it's the sort of signing you can only see happening at the very end of the window - whether it's a loan or a purchase. 

Dunno, can't see it. Kinda wish we'd dip into the Championship for another attacking player tbh.

Just now, Yorkie said:

I mean why would they loan him out when it's their final opportunity to get a few quid? Then the permanence of the move might put the player off, especially seeing as he'll have preferable offers than a team destined fit relegation. That's why I don't blame Van de Beek either; his career is at risk of going down the pan - certainly in this country; why would he join a basket case in order to rejuvenate himself when he could go somewhere better functioning? 

Re Lingard, it's the sort of signing you can only see happening at the very end of the window - whether it's a loan or a purchase. 

Dunno, can't see it. Kinda wish we'd dip into the Championship for another attacking player tbh.

Van de Beek would be coming on loan while we are in the Premier, he wouldn't even be here if we got relegated. Is playing in Man U reserves going to be better for his international career than getting first team football here? 

Guest carpetman1
5 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Does no-one pick up the phone any more or speak on Zoom etc and bloody agree things before putting in the offer?   Its a bloody strange window this one.

It's a journo telling us this. They've as much as an idea as we have.

Just now, TRon said:

Van de Beek would be coming on loan while we are in the Premier, he wouldn't even be here if we got relegated. Is playing in Man U reserves going to be better for his international career than getting first team football here? 

Of course not but I'm sure his options aren't limited to: ManU's reserves or Newcastle United. If that's the case on January 31st then obviously it's a more appealing switch, but not at the moment. 

39 minutes ago, 1964 said:

The most overrated virtue, by definition the belief in something without evidence. However George mimed a nice riff with a nicer gretsch acoustic...

I know. But his first crossover to the dance scene was called 'outside'. If I remember correctly.

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

2 million when we paid 25 million for that carthorse Wood , not really suprising it’s been rejected .

Aye, on a 6 month loan's a bit different though. :lol:  

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Just give him a release clause if we go down. 

I think anyone who would insist on that wouldn't be worth it in the first place and Howe had said as much. The problem is, at the moment, Howe's search filters are currently:

. Ability: First team ready

. Plays for: team above NUFC

. Max Wage: £whatever-shelvey's-on

. Max Fee: £less-than-a-pisstake

Feel like at least one of those needs to be relaxed cos Trippier might have been the only name the system generated. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I think anyone who would insist on that wouldn't be worth it in the first place and Howe had said as much. The problem is, at the moment, Howe's search filters are currently:

. Ability: First team ready

. Plays for: team who sees NUFC as step down

. Max Wage: £whatever-shelvey's-on

. Max Fee: £less-than-a-pisstake

Feel like at least one of those needs to be relaxed cos Trippier might have been the only name the system generated. 

Shelvey's wage won't be the ceiling for max wage like. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

There’s some weird communication going on. They surely had to know Man United’s preference on the deal, why even bother if you know that they want a permanent deal. 

It is interesting. Perhaps they thought a decent loan fee close to the asking price might tempt them?

Guest carpetman1

I've a delivery of salt arriving tomorrow. I use it every time a rumour appears.  Unless the quote is direct from a player, why get excited?  

literally pocket change when weighed against the risk of relegation. Funny though, I'm still so in the Ashley-era mindset that I almost instantly gave up hope at "3.5m" :lol:

Edited by thomas