Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Rudiger was a dirty bastard yesterday, one point which wasn't even mentioned waa when he literally held Burns wrist on the half way line stopping him from tracking back. Not even looked at. 

19 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

People can’t take honest takes. 

he does look a bit slow. He’ll need to think fast In this league to compensate. 

Comparisons to Busquets, Pirloa and Iniesta… I mean ok.  He’s more likely Granit Xhaka level and his lack of speed is a problem. 

Bruno has excellent ball control, good under pressure that’s great. But I was hoping for greater athleticism. He looks fairly fit and mobile. Just not quick. 

jonjo jo joe works well because 2 lads are extremely mobile and quick, Jo is v. strong for a midfielder and Shelvey can be strong in the tackle. 

i don’t think Bruno has the athleticism to play that Mezzalla role in the PL 

Eh! Slow?! 

He's not slow at all, he's just not quick. Those are 2 completley different things. 

15 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Eh! Slow?! 

He's not slow at all, he's just not quick. Those are 2 completley different things. 

Over short distances I think he's slower than Shelvey. He's got no real acceleration.  Although his overall mobility and stamina seems much better than Shelvey's. From what i've seen so far anyway.

He would compliment Jo really well imo. Jo has that acceleration, pace and strength. But can Jo play the intricate passing game with Bruno?

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Over short distances I think he's slower than Shelvey. He's got no real acceleration.  Although his overall mobility and stamina seems much better than Shelvey's. From what i've seen so far anyway.

He would compliment Jo really well imo. Jo has that acceleration, pace and strength. But can Jo play the intricate passing game with Bruno?

No way he's slower than Shelvey over short distance. If anything I think his acceleration is quite good and it's his top speed that lets him down.

2 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

No way he's slower than Shelvey over short distance. If anything I think his acceleration is quite good and it's his top speed that lets him down.

Recall him getting back pretty sharpish for slide tackle in second half.  Suspect the ‘slow’ notion is more an illusion of his controlled style of play. He’s definitely not a kick and rush merchant.  Perhaps we’ll see him in a flat out foot race at some point in coming games and that’ll add more evidence. 

Guest HTT II

I hate the obsession with players needing to be quick pace wise, yeah it can help, but Cabaye, Lee and Speed are three of the best CM’s I’ve ever seen play for us and they were not quick. Give me a good footballer with a quick brain, with quick feet and quick movement/speed of thought. Shelvey is slow as fuck, but under Howe with the right coaching, tactical understanding and positioning awareness now, it only really impacts him when we are caught on the break and he’s high up or he’s caught on the ball and gets dispossessed and has to track back. Guess what though that can happen to any player and team, no matter how quick they are or not.

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Hmm, he's definitely not slower than Shelvey but I'm not even sure pace and acceleration is the type of quality you'd hope for in that type of midfielder anyway. 

As for Jo and him in midfield, honestly yes, I don't envisage any problems at all with whatever type of football we decide to play.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Jorginho, Gundogan. Ndidi, Kalvin Phillips, Ward Prowse, Moutinho...not blessed with pace. All top players. 

Most of these are v. athletic or sit deep. 

I'm using the word pace but what I mean is a certain type of athleticism - acceleration, power. Our league has always been filled with CMs that could really run.

Cabaye was "mobile" but he wasn't very athletic. Opposition midfielders could sometimes have him chasing shadows. 

37 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm using the word pace but what I mean is a certain type of athleticism - acceleration, power. Our league has always been filled with CMs that could really run.

Cabaye was "mobile" but he wasn't very athletic. Opposition midfielders could sometimes have him chasing shadows. 

Clear from the video that he’s at least as quick as Kovacic who was much fresher as he was only a 2nd half sub.

Good job Bruce isn't here anymore cos he would be getting knacked by Tariq lamptey when he stuck him in at left back - the lads game isn't about pace - he seems to move well enough and can read the game to cover the ground - I thought he was great especially when you consider the opposition and  being outnumbered in the middle - thought longstaff did ok too

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Sort of agree with this, but I don't agree he's slower than Shelvey. He covers ground much quicker IMO, will make a proper judgement call when I see him with a bit more legs around him. Jo and Joe were a big miss against Chelsea, we had a completely revamped midfield, that too against one of the elite teams in Europe. I thought Bruno ended up trying to do too much and needs more going on in front of him to get the best out of him.

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

Clear from the video that he’s at least as quick as Kovacic who was much fresher as he was only a 2nd half sub.

Kovacic gets the ball and runs past 3 of our lot including Bruno in the second half. As you say, Kova was much fresher.

I don't think Bruno is that type of midfielder. I like the way he's happy to play in tight spaces and often invites intricate 1-2's. I don't think opposition will be able to press his influences out of games the way you could a Cabaye or even a Xabi Alonso.

We need to ask the club to post a video of a 100m dash to get to the bottom of this. This mystique of who is quick, slow, has pace and/or accelleration in an atheltic or mobile way and how you define each aspect of it in order to conclude where on the spectrum Bruno find himself is killing me.

40 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Aye, but if you asked him to turn on the spot, the QE2 could do it faster...:mick:

Somewhere, in another timeline, we are still talking about the horrendous performances of Jeff fucking Hendrick. So I think maybe we can lay off Bruno for a bit and just fucking enjoy having a quality midfielder. Honestly, you people.

Edited by AJ9