Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

7 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Chris Sutton never seems to fail to get things wrong. He's just a constant stream of crap.

Can never decide if he's just constantly on the wind up. Whatever, after a little while it gets so tedious.

https://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-england-new-guimares-idUKL5N2XC2TT

MADRID (Reuters) - Newcastle United midfielder Bruno Guimaraes says he has surprised even himself at how quickly he has adapted to life in the Premier League since joining in January.

The 24-year-old Brazilian has been a key figure in Newcastle’s transformation under manager Eddie Howe and produced another inspired display in the 2-0 win over Arsenal on Monday.

He scored his fifth goal since joining and was voted man-of-the-match for the third time in the 10 Premier League games he has started for the Magpies.

But it is his all-round game that has made the 40 million pounds ($49.88 million) Newcastle paid Lyon for his signature look like tremendous value for money.

“To be honest, I didn’t expect that I would adapt so fast to the Premier League,” Guimaraes told Reuters by phone.

“I think what helped in my transition was the physicality of Ligue 1. It’s very hard to play in France because they beat you up relentlessly. I had to get used to that, needed to gain five kilograms of muscle. My body changed, I got stronger.

“That was crucial to get me ready to play right away in the Premier League where the pace of the game is so intense.”

Guimaraes leaves nothing to chance in his preparation for games, surrounding himself with a personal trainer, nutritionist and physio. He also has a gym and recovery room at his house and spends his free time watching soccer and studying language.

“I talked to several former players that regret not having taken care of their bodies and play longer, so why not listen to them while I’m still young?” he said.

“I like winning, I’m a competitive guy and I want to play at the highest level as long as I can. The decisions that I make now about how I train, take care of myself and how I live will impact my career.

“Having my staff at home can allow me to be a step ahead in fitness and recovery. In an intense league like the Premier League, having the opportunity to get home, have an ice bath, a massage and a nice and balanced meal can make a big difference looking forward to the next game.”

“I’ll take any advantage that I can have.”

Guimaraes admits there was some surprise when he chose to join Newcastle -- a club facing a relegation battle -- rather than the likes of Arsenal, Paris St Germain or Real Madrid.

But the move has worked out well for both parties with Guimaraes earning rave reviews and Newcastle having the possibility to finish in the top 10.

“It was a bold move, but I believe it was decisive for me to consolidate my spot at the group that is fighting go to the 2022 World Cup with Brazil,” Guimaraes, who won an Olympic gold medal in Tokyo last year, said.

“To be in the Premier League and succeed here has massive weight and Newcastle offered me to come as one of the leaders of their ambitious project.

“When I arrived we were second from bottom. Now we are 12th and went as far as ninth in the standings. That speaks volumes. I feel loved by the fans, I’m happy and I look forward to next season, when I assure you we will surprise a lot of people.”

Guimaraes said playing for next Newcastle reminds him of playing in south America and believes the fans can look forward to the team challenging the top eight next season before setting their sights even higher.

“We can think about the Champions League and becoming a contender. I came here to win and we will turn Newcastle into a winning club,” he said.

:smitten:

That last sentence speaks volumes - the type of ambition that we have missed.

“We can think about the Champions League and becoming a contender. I came here to win and we will turn Newcastle into a winning club,”

5 hours ago, HTT II said:

Been sloppy today mind!

He was, but he had to adjust without his minder big Jo, and I thought he got better over the 90 mins. It was kind of gratifying to see him adjust to the pace and engineer it to his own tempo by the end.

Just seen his lasses instagram story and on the last clip where she's cooking mushrooms, you can hear Bruno in the background singing along to Hey Jude when watching what sounds like a game replay :lol:

Edited by Andymc1

Guest reefatoon

He was at Central Station this morning. Must be doing a little tour of the country to round up some top talent to join. First stop must be Leeds to twist Raphinia's arm.

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

He was at Central Station this morning. Must be doing a little tour of the country to round up some top talent to join. First stop must be Leeds to twist Raphinia's arm.

Off to Edinburgh with his mum and dad according to his Insta stories