Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yes, I've got no serious criticisms of how he handles his current role. It's just a question of whether he'd be more devastating if he spends more time closer to the opposition's goal. I'm sure he would. We'd need new players or a tactical rethink to do that though.

Or just have other people who are devastating near the oppositions goal, or sign people who can keep possession so that Bruno can also advance with more confidence. 

Arguably we already have those people, they’re just injured. 

The issue is Bruno is better than all our midfield options both tactically and technically. Physicality, no. 
Having players who create dangerous and/or goal scoring opportunities are harder to find than players who can shield and maintain possession. Ergo I’d rather have Bruno further up the pitch if we had a decent midfielder who had the awareness of when to sit a little deeper to protect us during transitions or just limit he option of playing through our centre with relative ease.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Or just have other people who are devastating near the oppositions goal, or sign people who can keep possession so that Bruno can also advance with more confidence. 

Arguably we already have those people, they’re just injured. 

Aye, agree. It wasn’t a problem last season when we didn’t have injuries to key players alongside him. Raise the quality either side of him and our midfield will be back to being formidable. Let him stay centre and control.

18 minutes ago, Lotus said:

The issue is Bruno is better than all our midfield options both tactically and technically. Physicality, no. 
Having players who create dangerous and/or goal scoring opportunities are harder to find than players who can shield and maintain possession. Ergo I’d rather have Bruno further up the pitch if we had a decent midfielder who had the awareness of when to sit a little deeper to protect us during transitions or just limit he option of playing through our centre with relative ease.

Totally agree. I still think the vision for Tonali and Bruno (Brunali?) combo was a fluid flexible midfield pairing, I.e. both interchanging and doing both attacking and defensive duties. Still need a destroyer in there, as part of the mix, I think. 

41 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

After watching West Hams last 2 games I'm glad we didn't sign Philips

He was always going to be a bit rusty but yeah I agree. Was always going to take time to get up to speed and possibly too long to make the loan worthwhile. 

Not necessarily suited to playing there in Howe’s system. But we really need to try and get him further forward more and not always the deepest midfielder. 

He was a bit lax at times when getting caught in possession. But two sublime

finishes and his passes will do much more damage splitting the defensive line as opposed to the midfield one. 

Bruno played pretty much as an 8 all game until Tino came on for Miley. He hasn’t played in that role since Shelvey was here if I am not mistaken. Definitely loved how he was just everywhere and scoring two goals. 

Edit: typo, I meant as an 8. 

Edited by Solitude20

In the Forest home game Gibbs White man marked Bruno out of the game so it looked like a clear lesson learned today to move him away from being the deepest lying midfielder

10 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Bruno played pretty much as a 6 all game until Tino came on for Miley. He hasn’t played in that role since Shelvey was here if I am not mistaken. Definitely loved how he was just everywhere and scoring two goals. 

Not sure I agree

He was playing ahead of Miley, it was Miley who was playing in the 6

I liked the tactical switch from Howe, got the two goals and also protected him from a booking