Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

13 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

That won’t work.

Any midfield needs at least one holding midfielder, and that’s someone who stays deep all the time to support the defenders while giving those sweet passes forward. That’s Shelvey. Joe and Willock are more of box to box or ball winning midfielders. They are the roaming type. Bruno is also a roaming type, and having 3 roaming midfielders at the same time will simply leave you exposed at the back very easily. Won’t happen. 

Not only did Bruno play as the roaming/box to box type with Lyon and Brazil, you can see how we found him inside Everton’s penalty area 2 mins after coming in for a scoring opportunity (but ASM didn’t pass or he would have scored). His off the ball movement is great.  

He’s 100% taking Willock’s spot. 

That takes us to 3 goal threats. The front three. If that’s really Bruno’s game then it’d probably be Joelinton who’d have to drop out. Willock is more likely to score a few and by the sounds of it, Bruno does what Joelinton does.

From what I have seen of his play (online) and analysis of his style, in terms of NUFC comparisons, he seems like a cross between GiGi and Nobby. I think through no fault of his own, Joelinton may give way (or be moved to replace Willock—who I think is contributing less at the moment). 

I've just never agreed with the argument that you should never change a winning team, think its a bit of a small team mindset. All the good teams change and rotate as each opposing team poses different challenges which different players might be more suited to deal with. West Ham are different to Everton and Villa with a better midfield I see no problem what so ever dropping some one to start Bruno, especially as we've all got to be pretty confident in him being the best midfielder at the club.

Edited by WillingtonMag

7 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

I've just never agreed with the argument that you should never change a winning team, think its a bit of a small team mindset. All the good teams change and rotate as each opposing team poses different challenges which different players might be more suited to deal with. West Ham are different to Everton and Villa with a better midfield I see no problem what so ever dropping some one to start Bruno, especially as we've all got to be pretty confident in him being the best midfielder at the club.

But you still wanted Bruno to play against both Everton and Villa :lol: 

I find the "don't change a winning team" mindset about as solid as the "you play your best players" mindset. Based on what I've seen so far, I prefer the "manager knows best" mindset.

Not sure why Trippier can displace our RB, Targett can displace our LB, etc

But our biggest signing cannot displace Shelvey

I do think we have done the right thing up to now, but sooner or later you need to start playing the guy - even if just under the guise of "rotation"

I thin Bruno will come in now. Howe has shown some big balls to persist with the current middle men and thankfully, it's paid dividends.

But we have a small buffer now, and can probably allow a little leeway with the selection as it isn't MUST WIN (yes I know we aren't safe, but them two games have allowed a little respite)

Think he would've got more minutes before now had we not put in such resolute performances against two good sides.

Let him bone up on his English whilst he gets these little runs in the side - the better he can communicate effectively with everyone else around him, the better he can be the midfield general we've all been crying out for. You could see against Everton how he was geeing up the crowd at the end. He has Trippier-level leadership energy.

14 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I do think we have done the right thing up to now, but sooner or later you need to start playing the guy - even if just under the guise of "rotation"

Because our existing full backs were absolute garbage and we weren't winning games. 

35 minutes ago, Conjo said:

But you still wanted Bruno to play against both Everton and Villa :lol: 

I find the "don't change a winning team" mindset about as solid as the "you play your best players" mindset. Based on what I've seen so far, I prefer the "manager knows best" mindset.

I did aye he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me though. 

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

You've just described our midfield too though :lol:

I don't agree with that at all. Willock looked Garbage but Shelvey was playing well and was involved in most of the goals we had scored and Big Joe was bossing it.

I would have dropped Willock and put Bruno straight in but Howe decided to stick with him

Trouble is, we don't have access to all of the information needed to make an informed judgement. It's not just about fitness, there are lots of things to take into the equation. That is why I trust Howes judgement to make the right call. He won't always be right but he will learn from any mistakes, of that I'm sure

I think he has better understanding of English than Almiron, which is quite remarkable considering Almiron has played in English speaking countries for the last 6 years :lol: Was an article/interview on Almiron by Sky from May 2021 where he said he was now taking English lessons, so maybe he's gotten better over the last 9 months but still.

1 hour ago, arnonel said:

Well we haven't seen the fitness stats which will be more crucial in CM than full back. I am going to enjoy trusting Eddie and his coaching team.

25 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You'd hope the bare minimum to joining a club in another country would be to try and learn the language

All of the 'huge respect' to him posts on Twitter are a bit odd

You would, but it's not. Therefore respect to those that do, is due.

Bielsa doesn't fuck around with that English malarkey.

Each to their own. But it's always an easy win to try and speak the native language at the club you're at, at least to try endear yourself to the club/fans and have a better understanding with team mates.

Swear the English are the worst for this[emoji38]

Article-Photo-16.jpg

Edited by NE27
Added extra schteve for dramatic effect.