Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

IMG_3733.thumb.jpeg.80d8eebe4dafacf7fde4b2d635e3dbea.jpeg

Current skipper Jamaal Lascelles is recovering from a nasty anterior cruciate ligament injury that is poised to keep him sidelined until the business end of the year. Even when the centre-back is fully fit, he finds himself down the pecking order and subsequently handing the armband to vice-captain Kieran Trippier. His future has been up in the air in recent windows due to interest, mainly from Turkish side Besiktas. 

Trippier has been a worthy stand-in in recent seasons, showing his immense leadership both on and off the pitch. However, doubts have emerged as to whether he too will be staying at Newcastle for much longer. 

The 33-year-old attracted serious interest from Bayern Munich in January, while this summer has started with speculation over interest from Saudi Arabian sides. Trippier, who will be on the plane to the Euros later this month, subsequently may have a decision to make over taking one last payday before he hangs up his boots. 

With Lascelles and Trippier potentially approaching the end of their time with Newcastle, attention turns to who could be bumped up the pecking order in terms of leadership. Dan Burn would certainly be a contender to become captain, while Callum Wilson and Sean Longstaff have led the side in recent months. Bruno, surely, isn't far away from be awarded the extra responsibility in the future. 

“Look, that’s how I see myself. Throughout the Olympics, I was captain at the Pre-Olympics, I was captain at Atlético Paranense, I was captain at Lyon in a few games, at Newcastle, I think something will happen next season too,” Bruno Guimarães told TNT Sports Brazil this week.

Inevitable and a goal of his for next season with us 🖤🤍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

Bruno, surely, isn't far away from be awarded the extra responsibility in the future. 

“Look, that’s how I see myself. Throughout the Olympics, I was captain at the Pre-Olympics, I was captain at Atlético Paranense, I was captain at Lyon in a few games, at Newcastle, I think something will happen next season too,” Bruno Guimarães told TNT Sports Brazil this week.

Now that IS interesting.

Edited by 80

7 minutes ago, 80 said:

Now that IS interesting.

We’re blessed with players of captain material but I think he’d be ideal. Such a passionate player, lives clean, extremely fit, leading by example. He’s proved he can control himself during the yellow card count. He’s a talisman and incredibly marketable. The heart beat of the team. 

4 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Haven't the slightest doubt he'll be with us for next season, hopefully as captain. Can't wait to see him, big Jur and Sandro bossing games

Absolutely :indi: 

Given they are talking g about bringing in "only captains can talk to refs" I'd be hesitant in making him captain, however he can still be a leader. Trippier was even when Lascelles had the armband.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Given they are talking g about bringing in "only captains can talk to refs" I'd be hesitant in making him captain, however he can still be a leader. Trippier was even when Lascelles had the armband.

That would be just another part of his development. I’ve no doubt he’d be just fine. He’d have to be. Just like he managed to temper himself to not get the additional yellow. He’s proven he has self control when required.

Might just be me but I don't see him as captain at all. We do need to be careful with leadership this summer though; Ritchie gone already with Wilson and Trippier allegedly to follow would leave us with only Burn and Lascelles, neither of whom should/can be featuring as much if we're to progress.

15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Might just be me but I don't see him as captain at all. We do need to be careful with leadership this summer though; Ritchie gone already with Wilson and Trippier allegedly to follow would leave us with only Burn and Lascelles, neither of whom should/can be featuring as much if we're to progress.

Yeah I agree. You need someone who can control their emotions and Bruno struggles in that sense.

Absolutely captain material. Great mentality, wonderful role model to the younger players ans quite frankly think the whole city would follow him into war

10 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Yeah I agree. You need someone who can control their emotions and Bruno struggles in that sense.

Not sure I agree with that tbh. Roy Keane rarely controlled his emotions and he's perhaps the greatest club captain I've ever seen.

Bruno has a winner's mentality, not entirely dissimilar to Keane's. Making him captain will do a lot to lift the standards and commitment of everyone playing around him, I reckon. The odd tantrum / sending off in exchange for that is worth it IMO.

Posted (edited)

His yellow card tight rope absolutely shows he can temper and channel his emotions. Every opponent was out to trigger him during that period. Time will tell. He’s the man for us in my book (surprise surprise [emoji38]

Edited by PauloGeordio

Bruno has the mentality and toolset to become a fantastic captain. The winner mentality can get you extremely far as a leader and not all captains have been Ødegaard levels of quiet.

Look at Roy Keane, Gatusso, Totti, Rio Ferdinand, Gerrard. Probably plenty more that has been very “unhinged” and “not in control” of their feelings while being a captain.

Nah, for me Bruno is the only choice whenever Trippier leaves.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

“…at Newcastle, I think something will happen next season too.”

this really does make it sound like Trippier is gone.

Edited by Smal

On 07/06/2024 at 13:52, Sibierski said:

Basically happy to stay, unless club turn around and say we have to accept this offer because it’s X amount and we need a sale. 

Think personally, only clubs he leaves us for is Real Madrid or PSG. Which won’t be till 2025 at earliest, but if we take a good stride forward and get back into UCL, it won’t just entice him to stay but also means we can be stronger on not selling.

I’m confident of getting 2 more seasons from him, and if he wants to move at age 28, then so be it, we would’ve got 4 1/2 seasons out of him which is a good return. All parties can move on happy, just need to maximise the next 2 seasons of him as he’s a proper jewel.

Are PSG even seen like that anymore? All their galacticos have fucked off and Mbappe basically said openly how miserable it was there after ensuring they got £0 for him.

Posted (edited)

Middle Age Fanclub

IMG_2639.thumb.webp.ed39403fc039abc0498cff1f916ab3f4.webp

NUFC: Ten Things to Love About Bruno.

As we approach the end of another Premier League season rumours seem to be intesifying about Bruno Guimaraes. Across every type of media there seems to be almost a desperate push for the move. Whether it be Manchester City or Arsenal, PSG or Real Madrid, someone somewhere seems to think that Bruno is better off elsewhere.

We could go on and on about why, but that’s not the point of this piece. Southern based press, conspiracy theories and all that can wait. People seem to think that Bruno needs to leave but I’m guessing the vast majority of Newcastle fans would disagree.

Bruno Guimaraes joined Newcastle in January of 2022 from Lyon at a cost believed to be in the region of £36 million. He wasn’t quite an instant hit as Eddie Howe held him back in order to properly acclimatise to the rigours of the Premier League. Instead, he would come on as a sub in a number of games before finally making his full debut away at Southampton. And what a debut! It was in this game that Bruno scored his first Toon goal – an outrageous back heeled volley from a Dan Burn header across goal, right in front of the travelling fans. A star was born!

It’s fair to say that the love affair started that evening and has moved on at pace ever since. Bruno fell for us and we returned his feelings ten fold. In fact, you could say that we love Bruno almost as much as he loves Joelinton. The bastard (more of that later, if you didn’t understand).

For me, Bruno is easily one of the best central midfielders I’ve seen in over 40 years of supporting Newcastle. I can look back on a lot, but without thinking too deeply would struggle to come up with many to rival Guimaraes. Gazza, Robert Lee, Gary Speed and Yohan Cabaye spring straight to mind, but after that I’m reaching a bit. I mean, when you were raised on a diet of players like Kevin Dillon, John Trewick, Pat Heard and Amdy Faye, midfielders begin to stand out for all the wrong reasons.

But comparisons are not what this is about. Rather than ramble and confirm what we all already know (he’s dead good at football), I thought I’d give you ten reasons why I (and probably a lot of us) love Bruno.

1. He just strikes me as a cracking lad. Bruno and family just make for a lovely story. His kids are Geordies and his wife seems very happy with the whole set up. Bruno seems to have time for everyone; a ready smile and a willingness to immerse himself in the city and the region.

2. He’s a current Brazilian international. Ever since I watched the Brazil team in the 1982 World Cup and heard about their 1970 side, I’ve been a little bit in love with their footballers. Apart from Fumaca, of course. He was shite. But the fact that Bruno gets in that side is a hell of a yardstick of his quality and I like that being part of Newcastle United.

3. His kids are Geordies and Bruno seems to be very proud of that fact and of just being able to be a part of our culture. For a lad to come halfway around the world and be obviously so in tune with this kind of pride is just wonderful. Imagine Mbappe, Ronaldo or many other so called superstars being the same. You can’t, can you?

4. His nickname/pet name for Joelinton just seems to be ‘bastard’. Much like Mirandinha being taught swearing by Gazza back in the 80s, someone has clearly got to Bruno! And Bruno seems to love it!

5. His celebrations. For a lot of us fans, football is about passion and joy. Bruno echoes that as a player. Whether he’s climbing on to advertising hoardings, doing little dances, kissing the badge, telling various people he loves them or just hoisting up a corner flag, Bruno seems to have something for every occasion. And he clearly revels in expressing that joy. So much so, in fact that there are occasion where he scores and gives us about 5 different layers of celebration! Remember the knee slide at Southampton away, remember the stripping off against Leicester at home, remember the flag waving at home to Sheffield Utd! There’s lots to love.

6. His laugh. If you’ve watched him on any of the club’s videos you’ll have heard that high pitched laugh. It always raises a smile and is just another sign of Bruno being a bloke who just loves life.

7. He’s ridiculously uncoordinated, yet still a brilliant footballer. I’ve seen Bruno play darts and I’m sure I’ve watched a video of him riding a bike or a scooter or a skateboard. He was shocking at all of it! It’s one of those little quirks that we can’t fail to like. Pu a ball at his feet though…different story.

8. His dad. Never before have I shown such an interest in Dick. The man behind the number 39 has become a part of the whole story of these last two and a bit years. Whether he’s accompanying his son and his family while they get interviewed or joining in with the singing in the pub or on the concourse at an away game, the man has become an unlikely star. None of us would have realised that Bruno’s arrival would lead to us loving Dick too…

9. His passing. I’m guessing we’re all fans of the outside of the boot pass that Bruno has, especially when it comes off. There was a notable one against Luton at home this year that led to Kieran Trippier’s goal. Bruno also does a nice line in ‘no look’ passes, with a one in to Miggy against Wolves a particular peach. The other one that springs to mind is a pass that I don’t have a name for, possibly because I don’t play FIFA. However, it’s a pass that almost looks like he’s scuffed it, almost a scoop. He seems to pretty much miss hit the ball, like he’s trying to dig it out of the turf and it’s quite a common pass that he makes. Teenagers might tell me it’s a knuckle ball, but I don’t know. Anyway, it’s a passing style that I like in amongst a range that I’m a big admirer of.

10. VAMOOOOOOOS! None of us are surely going to tire of that any time soon.

For me, it’s essential that we keep Bruno. For all the talk of that £100m clause, he’s worth much more to the club and the team. The goals, the showmanship, the clinical passes, even the run of games he went on this season to avoid that crucial yellow card are all illustrative of just how integral Bruno Guimaraes has become at Newcastle United.

Talk of him leaving feels ridiculous. Release clause or not, there shouldn’t be a valid reason to sell Wor Bruno! 🖤🤍

IMG_2640.thumb.webp.f142187a867ed40b3c35f642ec3c103f.webp

Edited by PauloGeordio

Bruno is an amazing player, I expect him to stay, he has no viable excuse to leave, if he does he can go and Fuck himself, if he stays, no medals from me it's what I expect.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Schär maybe?

Edit: already mentioned

Edited by Erikse