Dan Burn

Rich

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I thought Antony was probably Man Utd's worst player yesterday TBH, I wouldn't say he got in many times. 

That's why I find Burn hard to assess, he looks odd defensively but I'm not sure he lets that many people past him.

I've tried to word this to people since he first came in at LB. 

Most of the time he doesn't look good... but at the same time nobody ever seems to punish him and he doesn't make any obvious mistakes. Hard to argue against his record.

Think now that we have Targett back, Burn, Botman and Schar can rotate that CB position as the 3 of them look knackered mentally at the minute. So 2 play, 1 can be on the bench.

Edited by nufcjb

13 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Think now that we have Targett back, Burn, Botman and Schar can rotate that CB position as the 3 of them look knackered mentally at the minute. So 2 play, 1 can be on the bench.

Burn can start coming on whenever Schar gets his weekly concussion.

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Burn has played pretty much every single game since he came in.

I get the feeling Howe won't drop him

He might have to start trying something different with Targett soon if our indifferent form continues. 

Thing is I think he was only ever meant to be a stop gap at left back. Some good performances kept him in the side but it's now clear we need to upgrade that position. Ideally he becomes cover for the CB/LB next season. I'm not sure where that leaves Targett though. 

On 27/02/2023 at 15:02, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I thought Antony was probably Man Utd's worst player yesterday TBH, I wouldn't say he got in many times. 

That's why I find Burn hard to assess, he looks odd defensively but I'm not sure he lets that many people past him.

I thought Antony was v. decent but he's not the type to go on the outside and be dangerous. Like he beat Burn once, then turned back to beat him again before Joelinton wiped him out. Antony is always cutting inside and into traffic.

1v1 Burn is usually weak. He lets crosses in, concedes ground. Saka is one of teh best players in the league 1v1 but in the space of 10 minutes he got in behind Burn 2-3 times. Then Joelinton/Willock sat in on him to shore him up a bit better. But that's 3 players defending 1 or 2 man at the same time which is why we couldn't get out.

A defensive fullback has to be useful 1v1 which Burn isn't. Like AWB, he doesn't need cover from a midfielder or a winger against his winger 1v1. A prime Paul Dummett was at least good 1v1 more often than not.

Burn's build-up play is very solid usually. He's also meant to give us extra protection in defensive and offensive set pieces but that doesn't actually work.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I may be completely wrong but I have a feeling those at the club don't rate Targett as highly as us fans do

I think this is correct which makes it even more strange that we signed him.

That's definitely true, would've been signed permanently much sooner in the summer if they did. That said, he's the best we have at present and we need a proper left back in the team for this run of fixtures post-City. To add to that, Maxi's always looked better with him behind him too.

6 minutes ago, Zero said:

I have a feeling that once Targett is backed to the starting lineup, after 9 minutes people will come back and say we should play Burn instead.

I mean, that's fact, and true of pretty much everyone. We've seen plenty of posts from people pleased we sold Shelvey saying that we now miss him.

We wanted Lodi didn't we?

Atletico were quoting us something crazy, then they decided to let him go on loan. Knowing Forest it was probably a £10m+ loan.

He's looked ok for Forest.

I paid a little attention to that Robinson lad at Fulham a bit yesterday as I saw we were linked. Has a fantastic engine on him at least. That's all I gleamed. Quick wiki, 1 year left on his contract in the summer but also seems likely to extend.

I've watched Robinson a few times. Don't think I've seen him really put a foot wrong, but also doesn't look really exciting, or an attacking full back that really gets to the byline/gets crosses in. He looks like he can play though, so that's a good starting point. 

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've watched Robinson a few times. Don't think I've seen him really put a foot wrong, but also doesn't look really exciting, or an attacking full back that really gets to the byline/gets crosses in. He looks like he can play though, so that's a good starting point. 

Aye. He looked pretty quick and athletic... and tall. But i've not watched him closely.

He doesn't have a stand out attribute beyond that from what i've seen.