Dan Burn

Rich

Watched the pre-final interview him on YT yesterday, and forgot about that header off the bar against Liverpool.

Great to hear him speak, from a supporters perspective (he'd love to be down there just watching it) and now as a player (he's actually playing for us in a final!).

HOWAY BIG DAN BURN!! Hehe

Dear Dan,

When I walked up Wembley Way with you, a mere seven-year-old, on my shoulders en route to the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea in 2000, who could have predicted that the next time Newcastle would be fighting for a cup there, I’d be in the stands, watching my son in those gorgeous black-and-white stripes?

It was only ever going to be this club for you.

After all, you and Jack, your brother, drew teams out of a hat to decide which matches the pair of you would go to with our East Stand season ticket. Tyne-Wear derbies, top-of-the-table clashes and Champions League nights — you saw it all under Sir Bobby Robson.

For your own football journey, first there was Blyth Town — I’m still puzzled you decided to be a keeper — and then Spartans. A left-back to begin with — I suppose you’ve come full circle! — then a centre-half, you won everything going.

Those two years as a junior at Newcastle’s Centre of Excellence coincided with a growth spurt, when you struggled to adapt to your changing body. That letter on Christmas Eve, releasing you as a 14-year-old, was gut-wrenching.

But it never held you back. You made sure you made it.

You pushed trollies at Asda and grafted in non-League with Darlington before Everton and Fulham came calling. For your medical, I told you to “look the part”. In hindsight, perhaps wearing suits might not have been the best idea, seeing as you had to undress about 15 times. Then there was Yeovil — remember son, you’ve already won, and scored, at Wembley — Birmingham and Wigan.

Away from football, you married your childhood sweetheart, Roz, and started a beautiful family, only to move about as far away as possible to Brighton!

When the takeover happened, you told me: “That’s that, Dad. They’re never going to sign Brighton’s Dan Burn.” Then the speculation started and it was unbearable because I so wanted it to be true.

That night you came back, when I was stood alongside you in the boardroom, it moved me to tears. Your debut against Aston Villa topped it. Captaining (briefly) against Brentford was another level still.

That’s before we think about the quarter-final… I was so proud I can barely put it into words.

I still can’t believe I wasn’t there, instead, I was watching from a bar in Spain, but it doesn’t diminish it one bit. Seeing you slalom in from the left and caress the ball in with your right foot, at the Gallowgate End, with a finish Alan Shearer would be proud of — I’ve watched it hundreds of times since and I still can’t quite believe it. That was just so special.

Since then, I find myself driving places and suddenly I have a massive smile on my face because I remember that goal.

Newcastle brought you home and you bloody deserved that chance. You are still the very same lad; the best father, husband, brother and son we could all wish for. Nothing has changed you. You’re still Dan from Blyth, with the same mates who have followed you all the way and everyone can see that.

Your resilience, your perseverance, should be an inspiration to every young kid in the north east. You are no Peter Beardsley, but you proved that sheer determination and hard work can take you far. As our fellow fans sing, “You’ll never, ever beat Dan Burn.”

You are living the dream of so many and you understand that responsibility.

Sat on my shoulders 23 years ago, you were excited and euphoric walking up Wembley Way. This time it’s my turn. In the stands, I’ll be donning your match-worn shirt from the quarter-final, the one you saved especially for me. I’m welling up just thinking about the moment you run out…

That will be my lad, my Dan, on the world stage, showing who he is: a great footballer and an even better bloke.

I wish I could bottle up this feeling I have because it would make me millions if I sold it. I’m so immensely proud of you son.

Love Dad

15 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Dear Dan,

When I walked up Wembley Way with you, a mere seven-year-old, on my shoulders en route to the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea in 2000, who could have predicted that the next time Newcastle would be fighting for a cup there, I’d be in the stands, watching my son in those gorgeous black-and-white stripes?

It was only ever going to be this club for you.

After all, you and Jack, your brother, drew teams out of a hat to decide which matches the pair of you would go to with our East Stand season ticket. Tyne-Wear derbies, top-of-the-table clashes and Champions League nights — you saw it all under Sir Bobby Robson.

For your own football journey, first there was Blyth Town — I’m still puzzled you decided to be a keeper — and then Spartans. A left-back to begin with — I suppose you’ve come full circle! — then a centre-half, you won everything going.

Those two years as a junior at Newcastle’s Centre of Excellence coincided with a growth spurt, when you struggled to adapt to your changing body. That letter on Christmas Eve, releasing you as a 14-year-old, was gut-wrenching.

But it never held you back. You made sure you made it.

You pushed trollies at Asda and grafted in non-League with Darlington before Everton and Fulham came calling. For your medical, I told you to “look the part”. In hindsight, perhaps wearing suits might not have been the best idea, seeing as you had to undress about 15 times. Then there was Yeovil — remember son, you’ve already won, and scored, at Wembley — Birmingham and Wigan.

Away from football, you married your childhood sweetheart, Roz, and started a beautiful family, only to move about as far away as possible to Brighton!

When the takeover happened, you told me: “That’s that, Dad. They’re never going to sign Brighton’s Dan Burn.” Then the speculation started and it was unbearable because I so wanted it to be true.

That night you came back, when I was stood alongside you in the boardroom, it moved me to tears. Your debut against Aston Villa topped it. Captaining (briefly) against Brentford was another level still.

That’s before we think about the quarter-final… I was so proud I can barely put it into words.

I still can’t believe I wasn’t there, instead, I was watching from a bar in Spain, but it doesn’t diminish it one bit. Seeing you slalom in from the left and caress the ball in with your right foot, at the Gallowgate End, with a finish Alan Shearer would be proud of — I’ve watched it hundreds of times since and I still can’t quite believe it. That was just so special.

Since then, I find myself driving places and suddenly I have a massive smile on my face because I remember that goal.

Newcastle brought you home and you bloody deserved that chance. You are still the very same lad; the best father, husband, brother and son we could all wish for. Nothing has changed you. You’re still Dan from Blyth, with the same mates who have followed you all the way and everyone can see that.

Your resilience, your perseverance, should be an inspiration to every young kid in the north east. You are no Peter Beardsley, but you proved that sheer determination and hard work can take you far. As our fellow fans sing, “You’ll never, ever beat Dan Burn.”

You are living the dream of so many and you understand that responsibility.

Sat on my shoulders 23 years ago, you were excited and euphoric walking up Wembley Way. This time it’s my turn. In the stands, I’ll be donning your match-worn shirt from the quarter-final, the one you saved especially for me. I’m welling up just thinking about the moment you run out…

That will be my lad, my Dan, on the world stage, showing who he is: a great footballer and an even better bloke.

I wish I could bottle up this feeling I have because it would make me millions if I sold it. I’m so immensely proud of you son.

Love Dad

Fuckin lump in the throat before the game, not what i need in my current condition.

14 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

How on earth did he stay on for the full 90? Offers nowt going forward and we were desperate for a goal. Targett should've been on at HT.

Makes me think Targett isn't actually fully match fit yet and would only be in an emergency. 

Love the lad to bits obviously but we don’t even play the system that made him effective as a LB anymore (we got found out essentially). Targett needs to come back into the fold.

There were a few times during the match today where ASM was up near Dalot/WB and then there was about 60 yards of space behind him until you saw Burn. Or ASM would cut inside and we had absolutely no one near him on the left side. Easy as piss for a team to defend against that. 

Also having Targett back will give us a different set piece option. 

Edited by cubaricho

I love him, but we need Targett back in the side as soon as possible.  You can't be carrying a player that requires constant cover. Targett is a much better one on one defender and we don't look as exposed when ASM plays. Anthony had him on toast yesterday and it's not particularly his fault, he just isn't a full back.

Just now, The Prophet said:

I love him, but we need Targett back in the side as soon as possible.  You can't be carrying a player that requires constant cover. Targett is a much better one on one defender and we don't look as exposed when ASM plays. Anthony had him on toast yesterday and it's not particularly his fault, he just isn't a full back.

Wouldn't be surprised if Targett wasn't better in the air as well.