Dan Burn

Rich

Feel bad for him as he comes across as likeable, did well first half of the season but performances have been poor for a while. Ideally should be a bench player but our lack of quality across the squad forces us to play him.

Just now, Pilko said:

I'd drop him after that. Absolutely shambolic display.

He has looked the weak link for a while. Whilst still being solid enough at the back. Seems to be getting more and more exposed, though. Plus he offers nothing going the other way. 

All well and good saying we should drop him. But who for? Dummett, Ritchie or Lewis?

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

I'd drop him after that. Absolutely shambolic display.

Don’t have many options, Ashby at right back and Trippier to left? Wouldn’t want Lewis stinking things out.

Regardless of how bad he was in possession, and he was absolutely atrocious, he's failed to defend his zone again on a corner and, along with Trippier's poor marking, it's cost us a goal. However, if he deals with the ball on both occasions Trippier's fuck up doesn't matter a jot.

Seems like the nicest bloke in the world, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend his performances.

33 minutes ago, SAK said:

Don’t have many options, Ashby at right back and Trippier to left? Wouldn’t want Lewis stinking things out.

Going by Howe's recent press conference, no chance of Ashby starting any time soon.

I think he worked fairly well with Willock and Joelinton on the left, they sort of interchanged, he wasnt left exposed and he was able to tuck in which allowed Trippier to get much further forward. With ASM (and probably Gordon), we play with more of an orthodox balanced shape it doesnt really work. He doesnt get the cover from ASM and they dont link up well together. Its worst of both worlds. 

Teams are sitting off us and looking to hit on the break, a more offensively minded full back, which im not sure Targett is would see us creating more. Then again, we might be more fragile but its a lack of goals thats our issue at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

Even if Targett is fit I'd bet howe would keep faith in burn. He did earlier in the season when he had the choice. 

Targett was ill for a good couple of weeks, from memory. Then he had his heel issue that he was playing through. Which probably explained why he barely played and why he looked below par when he did play. 

Depends who we are playing, I reckon. I think there must be some rotation soon. Going to be enforced due to injuries, anyway. But I think it is coming with Burn and Targett at some point.