Mason Greenwood

mouldy_uk

What a mess.

I think the PFA should be more prominent here. This is a player-created problem, not a club-created problem. The PFA should come out and encourage/defend clubs for dropping players for moral reasons. As things stand, the temptation for a club with someone they'll have to pay will be try and play him, as we have seen here with Manchester United. There needs to be a realization that standard employment rules protecting the player's right to be paid cannot apply here.

PFA are there to protect the player though aren't they? So I doubt that'd happen. Would be a huge move if they did and I would like them to, but they're probably more likely to suggest he is innocent until proven guilty...perhaps...

Edited by Heron

21 minutes ago, Stottie said:

There needs to be a realization that standard employment rules protecting the player's right to be paid cannot apply here.

You're not far wrong in what you say, but that kind of action then becomes a law issue, and the innocent until proven guilty aspect as well. That's a big can of worms to delve into and to try to get right and fair in a lawful way, that would protect the employee, any victim depending on what crime may have occurred, and employer for that matter.

Also in sport (and politics especially) you seem guilty until your proven innocent, which always seems a tad unfair.

Edited by Bimpy474

Could he have admitted guilt and been punished via a civil case, settled privately out of court, without her pressing criminal charges?

Him admitting guilt would have created a space for the club to publically punish him, the thing which is necessary here given the public existence of what is incriminating evidence. Him playing or not would then come down to whether people want to forgive him like the victim has done in the criminal sense. I'm no expert on women's rights but the victim has every right to not press criminal charges. Rape trials can be highly traumatic for victims, and this one would be as high profile as they come. 

Anyway the above ship has sailed. The net result may still have been Greenwood not playing for Man U. In the above scenario however, the club wouldn't have had to pay him and would have had less incentive to embarrass themselves trying to "protect their investment" or whatever businesspeak is appropriate for how they have behaved.

Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.

Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.

All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.

Edited by 54

I don't want to post it as I don't want to give the guy the time of day, but Greenwood has released his own statement where he basically says the "social media posts" as incorrect.

7 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Still not clear to me what they’re doing with him after reading that, other than that he won’t be playing for them any time soon.

Pretty much. 

If they release him, I'm guessing he could claim unfair dismissal? Now they've either got to sell, loan or wait for his contract to run down. 

Edited by OCK

Just now, OCK said:

Pretty much. 

If they release him, I'm guessing he could claim unfair dismissal? Now they've either got to sell, loan or what for his contract to run down. 

They’ll pay up his contract and he wont make an issue of it probably.

1 minute ago, OCK said:

Pretty much. 

If they release him, I'm guessing he could claim unfair dismissal? Now they've either got to sell, loan or what for his contract to run down. 

They can pay up his contract.  

What’s done him in is the audio. There’s probably a dozen rapisy footballers playing weekly in the PL but none of them have that audio. 

To be honest I ain’t sure the decision is correct or not. I mean it’s really complicated. It could be right to dismiss him for all the negative publicity he brought to the team, but then it could also set a very bad case for other teams to follow in the future.

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

To be honest I ain’t sure the decision is correct or not. I mean it’s really complicated. It could be right to dismiss him for all the negative publicity he brought to the team, but then it could also set a very bad case for other teams to follow in the future.

The existence of the audio probably lends itself to say he's brought the club into disripute.

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

Like what? That doesn't say they are releasing him, more like we support you and try to find you a new club.

This is from Richard Arnold, implying he hasn't done it. 

"While we were unable to access certain evidence for reasons we respect, the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with. I am restricted as to what I can say for legal reasons, including the alleged victim's ongoing right to anonymity, but I am able to share the following with you which should give you some insight into the complexity of this case.

• The alleged victim requested the police to drop their investigation in April 2022.

• We were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online.

• The alleged victim's family participated in the process and were given the opportunity to review and correct our factual findings."