Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

He's so reliable, every game I've seen him play in I've seen him shut down his man on so many occasions, just a block tackle or shoulder to shoulder race and he gets the ball. Such an under rated player. 

Would be a excellent signing especially with trippier on the other side. Not many teams would be able to attack us constantly down the flanks. 

Guest HTT II

I’m sure Howe can develop a way to get Targett more forward and be more of an attacking threat which he has been doing lately. It’s a lazy term to say someone is an attacking full-back because they get forward, or is a defensive full back because they don’t and the. Come to conclusions one is poor in attack and the other is poor in defence because of that. Targett is very very good defensively and more than capable going forward. Regardless, you can’t put a price on having a player with experience, professionalism, a good healthy fitness record, with a high work ethic who puts the team ahead of himself who you can rely on every week, whatever position on the pitch and Targett has all those traits. 

To me signing Targett makes sense, it's such a no brainer based on his performances and the reported fee.

However if Howe has seen something in his game that means he doesn't want to sign him permanently then I have no issues with that, I think Howe has earned himself the right to make judgments on players and we have to trust him.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if Howe didn't want him and I wouldn't pay too much attention to that article, there's a lot of assumptions in it and some serious stretching.

People should probably read the article macphisto is referring to in the Athletic.

It says Howe is still evaluating things regarding Targett, and it's not a guaranteed signing as of yet. Apparently in Howe's Bournemouth teams, in his preferred setup, his full backs often had the most touches and he always looked to have two marauding full backs that overlapped his wingers as the wingers are asked to sit more narrow.

If Howe ultimately determines that he'd like a full back that is more attack minded than Targett, then I'd be fine with that. He should be allowed the freedom to build the exact kind of team he wants, and shouldn't be doubted. He'll have the budget to get a high quality player in that position, and the whole pre-season to bed them in, and so I don't anticipate any issues whatever call he does make.

19 hours ago, Comegetasample said:

Wait, who's saying we shouldn't sign him? 

Don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't sign him? Some people say IF Howe has another target in mind he prefers over Targett then they are comfortable with letting Targett go back to Villa which I think is fair enough on the basis of trusting the manager to make the best decision for the club.

We should sign Targett permanently though.

22 minutes ago, KaKa said:

People should probably read the article macphisto is referring to in the Athletic.

It says Howe is still evaluating things regarding Targett, and it's not a guaranteed signing as of yet. Apparently in Howe's Bournemouth teams, in his preferred setup, his full backs often had the most touches and he always looked to have two marauding full backs that overlapped his wingers as the wingers are asked to sit more narrow.

If Howe ultimately determines that he'd like a full back that is more attack minded than Targett, then I'd be fine with that. He should be allowed the freedom to build the exact kind of team he wants, and shouldn't be doubted. He'll have the budget to get a high quality player in that position, and the whole pre-season to bed them in, and so I don't anticipate any issues whatever call he does make.

The worrying bit from that article for me is that we’re looking to retain Dummett. Blokes a sicknote. 

Target going forward is not the issue. As he’s not really been allowed to.

His job is to cover for ASM who will repeatedly lose the ball for every successful carry he does. This puts enormous pressure on a left back to carry that extra responsibility in games, that won’t be lost on Eddie Howe.

If an agreement with Villa is in place, it’s a no brainer.

Guest HTT II

Meh, send him back…

He’s played several great balls which have again been fucked up by ASM/Willock. Getting forward lots too!

Interesting, if true I like the ambition and the fact that Howe has a clear vision for the side. However I also really like Targett for his reliability, quality in defence and his attitude so I hope he’s here next season