Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Guest HTT II

Anyone who doesn’t rate this lad or don’t want us to sign him are off their had. I rewatched the game yesterday and he was our best defender and constantly played forward or progressive balls into their half. Yes he got skinned by Salah once, but again he is arguably the best footballer in the world right now and would skin anyone. Other than that he was 100% solid defensively. Sign him up, 15m would be robbery that’s how good he has been!

I would have zero issues with bringing Targett back permanently next season, been solid since he came in. However, if Eddie and co decide to go elsewhere I fully trust them.

My ideal plan is Targett and Hickey for cover/cup games and to come into the team in coming years.

11 hours ago, Outre said:

That’s one second in a 90 minute match? A single data point. 

I don’t think there is any excuse or rationale for signing a bottom 10 premier league left back when ambitions surely have to be top 8. 

There are reason for not signing Targett, but that isn't one of them. It's a ridiculous argument to say that no players in the bottom 10 clubs of the Premier League are capable of excelling in a club going for top 8. It's actually laughable that you could believe that. 

Its your opinion ofcourse and you're entitled to it, but your opinion in this instance is stupid.

By your standards if we were to finish 11th or lower (extremely likely), none of the players we have should be in this team if we want to compete for Europe. 

I don’t think there is any excuse or rationale for signing a bottom 10 premier league left back when ambitions surely have to be top 8. 

Absolute bollocks.

I would rather the bulk of the transfer budget be spent on areas where class and ability are lacking. He does not lack class or ability

Can be improved upon in 2-3 windows time for sure, there are other more important areas more money needs spent on. Besides, he's excelling in this team who knows what will happen with better players ahead of him on the pitch.

Edited by Amir_9

I’ve changed my perspective. If we can sign a Lodi and still fund other transfers - I would.  

There is no point in spending the transfer fee on him if we think we’ll need to improve in a year and we have options to pursue.  

we should only sign players for the CL unless we have holes in the squad eg Targett is better then no one. 

• 3 weeks later...

Suddenly occurred to me - big Glenn Roeder vibes. If Bruno likes playing with him, that should confirm he's more than just defensively sound.

There's absolutely no chance I'd be letting this lad leave, no chance. Whoever else we might be looking at isn't going to be a dead cert in the way that Targett is. Left back is ticked off for at least next season for me and we'd be far better off looking to seriously strengthen other positions.

So happy we have players coming in, even on loan, and loving playing for us. If I got nothing else, I'd take that. See he got a big hug and a kiss on the cheek from Stavely too. 

I get the other links for other LBs like Lodi etc, but this guy has come in and done so well, so quickly and effortlessly, I cant see an arguement for replacing him. Apart from obviously Villa demanding more than he's worth. He's so fucking solid and with the solidity of Trippier the other side I just think we cant pass that opportunity up. Yeah he's no Robertson down the sides but he's not exactly deficient. I think he'll get better too.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

There's absolutely no chance I'd be letting this lad leave, no chance. Whoever else we might be looking at isn't going to be a dead cert in the way that Targett is. Left back is ticked off for at least next season for me and we'd be far better off looking to seriously strengthen other positions.

This 100%.

I don’t care if there is a younger, more attacking LB out there at the moment. This dude, like you said, is a dead cert and he takes corners and free kicks with some actual skill. Really really hope we keep him. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Couldn't agree more.