Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Be delighted if we signed him. He'll be at least 7/10 every week, absolute minimum. Often more. So solid and consistent, and utterly reliable.

Sure he's not a flair player, he's no Cafu, but we need depth and we need English players too. He could play a really big part for us for many years. Given the fees bandied about, I reckon he's an absolute bargain and we'd be mad to not sign him if the opportunity is there.

He's one of the most underrated players I've come across in recent years. Never gets the attention he deserves (wherever he's been), but seeing him in the flesh makes you appreciate what he can do. He's solid, reliable, produces when it matters, and has been a key cog Eddie Howe's machine since January. 

I really really hope he's signed. Just quietly goes about his business and linking everything together. 

In the absence of quality England left backs, this guy is surely worth a shout. 

I feel like i've either thought or said this after every single game he's played for us, we really could not spend 15m any better than on this lad. Are there better LBs in the world? Well, aye but not for that cash. Top player and character.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/targett-electric-fans-inspired-us/

Nice interview with him, if we can keep him on then I've no complaints. Obviously if we're after CL level defenders its a bit different but either way he'd been a huge part of our transformation and I'd be happy to see him here next season. 

That thumbnail :lol: Doesn't exactly look like a player destined to be returned to Villa

image.thumb.png.f5571ad1dd70919fa5a45eb1511c4917.png

If Trippier is marauding on the other side I see no problem having him, a less offensively minded full back, starting on the left. Plus if ASM is ahead of him, then that solidity is exactly what we should be looking for. Depends what Howe wants to do tactically really, if we're lining up next season with Targett I'd be happy, binning off Ritchie, maybe Lewis as backup and Dummett can be the 25th man at a push.

I think Targett is going to end up being one of the players Eddie was saying we’d be sad to say goodbye to - he’s been absolutely outstanding and If be happy for him to stay, but the fact they gave Dummett another contract and talk of Lodi suggests Targett will be going back to Villa.

If we don't sign him, he might just get the best reception from a former player when he plays against us.

I suspect we had Lodi lined up in January and that's why we didn't just sign Targett on a permanent then.

Does he think he'll be happy as a squad member of a champion's league team? That's maybe the question that decides whether he stays here.

He came here for first team football in his mid-20s which is ultra respectable. But being categorical backup at perennial also-ran Villa is a bit of an insult. Maybe the project here is a better way of spending his life? He's clearly genuinely happy here which is great.

His offensive game doesn't get enough credit imo because of how solid he is defensively. Just take yesterday as an example. The first touch to bring down the cross field ball from Schar to get past the Arsenal player and play through Wilson was pure filth. Then from deep in our half he plays through Wilson for Whites yellow card. He also overlapped well and played a nice ball through a small gap between to Arsenal players into the box for our second goal. On top of that he is very good at set pieces. 

I honestly think if that rumoured £15m fee is correct then we should sign him up. I know the fee talked about for Lodi seems to be between the £20-£25m range, which is also a good price, and I do think Lodi is likely the better attacking full back. But Targett is solid, and I don't think Lodi is £10m extra better than he is.

Even though Willock did absolutely amazingly well, in my brain I'll always give the assist for Bruno's second goal against Leicester to this guy. Seven times out of ten, Dummett's conceding a penalty in a similar situation.