Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

I've just deleted a post and, on reflection I should've left it in. 

Along the lines of..... "As likeable as Targett is, he's no Irving Nattress..............#oldbastard"

Posted it then remembered.

Yeah, Niall, he's no Irving fucking Nattress because Nattress was a fucking RIGHT back you cunt. 

Obvs, said in my head like cos she's still in bed ?️??

Offensively Targett is fine, it's certainly not a glaring detriment to his game as a 'traditional fullback' or whatever they are these days. Modern marauding fullbacks are an obvious area managers can exploit and it would be handy to have someone like Targett around for when we're inevitably getting rinsed down the wings in some games. Or for matches when shutting out their right side makes more sense than trying to run riot down our left.

I know Dummett can fill that role but Targett does everything he does and more, so it's canny irritating, and I've noshed Dummett off for years [emoji38]

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Nicked from Twitter.

Am I missing something here or does this show that Targett is overall the solid option?

6427F0BB-7D70-419A-BED6-A5880EE95DD6.png

Let's have a look at what you could have won

24 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Nicked from Twitter.

Am I missing something here or does this show that Targett is overall the solid option?

6427F0BB-7D70-419A-BED6-A5880EE95DD6.png

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=ed9f7cfe&p1yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id2=e514ab62&p2yrfrom=2021-2022

Lodi started less than half of the games he was involved in so it's difficult to gauge (Target player 87 minutes per match, Lodi 41), but watching both of them it's clear Lodi is a much bigger attacking threat.

Even so if you click 'Toggle per 90' above each of the tables Lodi is still close, or better, offensively in many areas despite his data per game being essentially halved (this can be a possitive or a negative but I imagine players playing a full 90 will get more actions per minute than one being used sporadically - unless they're a super sub).

If I've gotten this wrong then by all means someone who actually knows what they're talking about correct me [emoji38]

Edited by Hanshithispantz

On 01/06/2022 at 18:00, HawK said:

As someone who fondly wore Enriqué 3 on the back of our Championship banana-top, I think this lad has been the best left-back we've had in my living memory. Make of that what you will, i.e. our quality in that position over the years really hasn't been great, featuring such gems as Babayaro and Dummett as regulars. I only remember back as far as Beresford and then Pearce, but I don't recall any of our left backs as good off the ball offensively, or as good at striking the ball as Targett. Bernard and Domi were decent, but they were ball carriers rather than playmakers, and defensively they were average. I can't easily compare Targett to anyone we've had in that position before, other than my old favourite player Enriqué defensively. Offensively he's been a revelation, let alone the added threat from set pieces he brings. With him as our left back, we were in Champions League form without even having a decent striker. Then there's his personality, which is absolutely spot on.

I always felt Robbie Elliott was better than all of them, tbh.  Cracking left foot too - scored more from full back than anyone I've seen in B&W

I will repeat until beaten with a shitty stick: Lodi is no great shakes, have watched him carefully since we were linked and he hasn´t had a good season in La Liga. Can´t say before this year, although he did play a few times as centre back (gives cover I suppoose).

Would rather go for the man city full back, or nick tariq lamtey (does he play left hand side?)...

4 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

I've just deleted a post and, on reflection I should've left it in. 

Along the lines of..... "As likeable as Targett is, he's no Irving Nattress..............#oldbastard"

Posted it then remembered.

Yeah, Niall, he's no Irving fucking Nattress because Nattress was a fucking RIGHT back you cunt. 

Obvs, said in my head like cos she's still in bed ?️??

Still works though, he's a full back and I totally get what you mean. (Could have said Alan Kennedy though)

#anotheroldbastard.

Edited by madras

Disciplined, hard-working, reliable, excellent defensively (which is rare), and available for a reasonable fee. Hard to say no, honestly. Get him, work on the rest of the team for now and get someone better in 2-3 seasons and hopefully by then he will be more than happy to be a back-up in a much better team. If there is a clearly better option now, then why not, but I cannot think of any, really.

If we buy an "attacking" left back we would surely need good back up and/or a good defensive alternative like Targett. He has never let us down all season and gives =>7+ performances every weekend.

Get him signed!!

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I always felt Robbie Elliott was better than all of them, tbh.  Cracking left foot too - scored more from full back than anyone I've seen in B&W

Aye he was decent, never felt he was one of our stronger players in our team at the time, though.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Aye he was decent, never felt he was one of our stronger players in our team at the time, though.

brilliant first time, awful when he came back.

5 minutes ago, HawK said:

He wasn't one of our best players - but I was always of the opinion that he was better than Beresford.  When Dalglish finally gave him a run at LB post-Keegan, he scored six or seven from LB in a dozen or so games.

Dalglish then did the most Dalglish thing ever, and sold him for buttons whilst spunking nearly 5m on Pistone.