Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Whether or not he's good enough for a top-4 team as a starter, he's definitely good enough as a squad player for a top-4 team - And we're not a top-4 team yet, not by a long way.

So aside from just not getting ahead of ourselves, even if we were a top-4 team (which we're not) then I'd still want him around.

For the fees quoted, for a young English fullback who can play for the next 7 or 8 years at a very high level, the fees quoted make it a no-brainer.

You could also argue that 12m for Targett is better value than 20m+ for Lodi.

If the club are trying to be cute with their money, until big sponsors arrive, a potential 10m difference in the transfer kitty might be useful later in the window.

There is an element of certainty involved here too. Firstly, everything we know about Eddie is that he's not the sort to string Targett along if we aren't sure about him. Secondly, the club itself can tick left back off the list of priorities in the summer, where as a protracted pursuit of another left back might hold up other deals.

Targett is about as sure a thing as you can have in a transfer. Has already played for the club. Understands the system. Manager trusts his character. Fans adore him. He's not injury prone.... and he's only 15m total, which is pocket money these days. Sign him.

Regardless of what happens close season its the first one in forever that I won't be thinking, can we stay up.  Whoever we get will be trained, coached and prepared for the season.  Unlike previous years where they were sent away with a training plan and told see you mid July for a pint

I'd be canny pissed if we don't sign him. I'd like to think we'd reward him with the move for all his hard work and consistent approach. If he ever becomes our weak link they were flying.

3 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Sounds like he's going to tell Targett that we want to sign him, but we'd be looking at rotating him with another potential left-back, and whether he'd be comfortable with that. Either way, we'd at least start next season with someone of his calibre, which I'm all for.

Guest HTT II

I know Howe likes to play an expansive game, but I think he’s learned during his time out you need defensive solidity too and this guy has proved he has that, you need the right balance. 

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, huss9 said:

if he's good enough for Bruno and Eddie, he's good enough for me.

If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me
It's good enough for two, it's what I want to see
If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me
It's good enough for two, it's what I want to see

I don't know how people can say that he's not good enough for a top 4 team.  That could be said of a lot of players if you take them in isolation but put them in a good team and they perform fine.  Phil Neville wasn't the best full back I've ever seen but performed well in the Man U team. Beckham had a lot of weaknesses but his strengths complimented the team. If we'd had Messi last season under the Bruce regime it would have made no bloody difference to the side.

1 hour ago, STM said:

You could also argue that 12m for Targett is better value than 20m+ for Lodi.

If the club are trying to be cute with their money, until big sponsors arrive, a potential 10m difference in the transfer kitty might be useful later in the window.

There is an element of certainty involved here too. Firstly, everything we know about Eddie is that he's not the sort to string Targett along if we aren't sure about him. Secondly, the club itself can tick left back off the list of priorities in the summer, where as a protracted pursuit of another left back might hold up other deals.

Targett is about as sure a thing as you can have in a transfer. Has already played for the club. Understands the system. Manager trusts his character. Fans adore him. He's not injury prone.... and he's only 15m total, which is pocket money these days. Sign him.

100% all of this, it's a chance to lock down one of our weaker positions for the next two-three years before the window even starts, and at a discount to boot.

No brainer for me! Such a likeable character and he has adapted to our team so well. Even if we do upgrade him in a few years, there is a good chance we get our money back if not even make a profit. Make it happen Eddie! 

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

I hope the Sherminator is here next season. We’d be crazy not to make it permanent. 

Hahaha the Sherminator is a great shout.

Love this lad making his case on the last day in a dead rubber match, that pass down the line to send ASM away and the goal line clearance to save the win, sign this fucker up on Monday won't you?

Edited by Miercoles

8 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Hahaha the Sherminator is a great shout.

Love this lad making his case on the last day in a dead rubber match, that pass down the line to send ASM away and the goal line clearance to save the win, sign this fucker up on Monday won't you?

He said himself when he arrived he gets compared to Sherminator - can't find the video.