Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

If we can get him for £12m it’s an absolute no brainer. A solid mid table PL left back who will continue to improve under our current set up. 

He’s ideal for the next couple of years and gives him the opportunity to show he can cut it in a team on the up.

25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he could be like Hughes was in the 01/03 teams. He can defend and he is better than people give him credit for going forward.

First couple of games I thought he seemed a bit one dimensional, looking to swing the ball in whenever he could, but he seemed to be getting closer to Trippier in his decision making the more time he got. Making disguised passes inside, taking on fullbacks, and even making decent runs into the box.

He's obviously got a decent left foot on him, I don't think there's much stopping him from being a genuinely great allround fullback. We do still need a proper offensive wingback though, even if they're just young cover.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

First couple of games I thought he seemed a bit one dimensional, looking to swing the ball in whenever he could, but he seemed to be getting closer to Trippier in his decision making the more time he got. Majing disguised passes inside, taking on fullbacks, and even making decent runs into box.

He's obviously got a decent left foot on him, I don't think there's much stopping him from being a genuinely great allround fullback. We do still need a proper offensive wingback though, even if they're just young cover.

Hickey would be the dream but wonder if Howe sees something in Lewis to have another go with.

I wonder if we've had a bash at trying to negotiate down the Lodi price and gone back to the drawing board?

In time, we will need a more offensive full back, but Targett was brilliant last season and is absolutely fine for where we are.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Has excellent delivery 

Agreed , he can cross a very good ball 

he can also knock it long into the channels (not just a hoof) 

his ball down the left channel to maxi against Burnley in the first half (put him clean through) ….great ball and vision 

Wonder if we were just waiting for Ashworth and the opening of the transfer window to get Targett? Or perhaps signing Lodi was becoming too much hard work/too expensive.

Either way, getting this sorted on day 1 of the window would be champion.

90min ([emoji38]?) think a medical's happening today https://www.90min.com/posts/newcastle-united-closing-in-on-permanent-matt-targett-deal

90min understands that Targett is due on Tyneside on Wednesday to conclude a medical after sporting director Dan Ashworth finalised terms.

Ashworth is currently working on a deal to sign another long-term target in Hugo Ekitike after Newcastle agreed a fee with Reims last week.

The Magpies have agreed to pay €31m for the forward, although he will sign on an initial loan which will have a mandatory clause in order to help avoid any Financial Fair Play issues.

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Also pretty exciting if we are saving money on him, we may go bigger on other players.

This was my first thought too. If Lodi was going to be in the £35-40m range then I assume we've got a plan for that extra £20m or so...

9 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

90min ([emoji38]?) think a medical's happening today https://www.90min.com/posts/newcastle-united-closing-in-on-permanent-matt-targett-deal

90min understands that Targett is due on Tyneside on Wednesday to conclude a medical after sporting director Dan Ashworth finalised terms.

Ashworth is currently working on a deal to sign another long-term target in Hugo Ekitike after Newcastle agreed a fee with Reims last week.

The Magpies have agreed to pay €31m for the forward, although he will sign on an initial loan which will have a mandatory clause in order to help avoid any Financial Fair Play issues.

This is all stacking up nicely. Targett is more than adequate to bridge where we want to get to before upgrading like Man City have done. They made do with Wayne Bridge before they made that jump up to CL quality, although not before burning £50m on alleged rapist Mendy.

The loan to buy piece is another great development. Hopefully by next year a better league position will allow us to supersize our commercials.