Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

So who will be his backup? Dummett or will Lewis get another chance in the squad?

Assume Dummett considering he's been given a new contract. I would hope Burn would be ahead of Dummett for backup though.

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

So who will be his backup? Dummett or will Lewis get another chance in the squad?

Lewis will be given a chance according to the media, Burn can also fill in there as well.

I personally think the Dummett contract was more about transitioning him into another role in the club, when he stops playing. He has hardly contributed much recently as a player, so that can surely the only logical conclusion. 

Solid signing and is definitely good value for money. He won't need any time to settle in or take up a huge chunk of the budget whatever that budget is. We could probably have signed a better LB but at a much bigger cost and risk. Happy to see him sign permanently. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We’re actually pretty well stocked for back-ups currently aren’t we? Lewis, Dummett, Burn, Manquilo, Krafth and Ritchie could all play there :lol: .

Obviously some will have to be moved on…

Edited by McCormick

If other clubs are trying to rip us off, then this seems a good move. Targett did look vulnerable against the better teams, but generally he did a good job for us and is certainly the best LB at the club.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Howe said Lewis would get a chance in pre-season.

Given the transformation we've seen with the likes of Kraft I am more than happy to see Lewis given another chance at the club.

He was a rabbit in the headlights, but then so was Kraft - and he put in one or two solid performances in some important wins for us.

32 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I'm loving the fact that we haven't had a proper left back for years and now we are concerned about having a back up 

Left backs: Targett, Lewis, Dummett

Right backs: Trippier, Krafth, Manquillo

That would be a solid set of options for a season or two in the full back positions, so long as Lewis can come on a bit, and be a bit more of an attacking option, and Krafth continues where he left off, he's perfect backup.

Might sound stupid but I prefer this to Lodi as we will still go out and get a LWB at some point (and could still bring in one this window).

Letting Target loose seemed pretty mental for that price. Can see him becoming a handy squad player down the line, he would made a brilliant LCB in a 3 you would imagine.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Left backs: Targett, Lewis, Dummett

Right backs: Trippier, Krafth, Manquillo

That would be a solid set of options for a season or two in the full back positions, so long as Lewis can come on a bit, and be a bit more of an attacking option, and Krafth continues where he left off, he's perfect backup.

There's no room for Manquillo in the 25, like, Murphy and Fraser would be used in an emergency I reckon.

Would love to have seen Lodi here as I think he would have been an incredible signing but targett has been absolutely solid. 

So many times I've seen him stop the opposition right winger and completely kill their attack. 

Plus will do wonders for our ffp if we need to spend bigger elsewhere so a great bit of business all round. 

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

There's no room for Manquillo in the 25, like, Murphy and Fraser would be used in an emergency I reckon.

Yeah, I hope for everyone's sake he gets a decent move cos he's clearly not fancied here (Howe making most of us look like mugs when preferring Krafth to him).

He'd be a good option for a newly promoted team and especially for a Championship side. Seems like one of those that might end up going back to Spain though. 

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Unsure about that, Manquillo can cover LB as well. Guess it depends how much faith they have that Lewis can be Howed back to life. 

Absolutley great decision all round. He deserves this chance. It's a great price and means we can put the budget to use in other areas. We can revist a more attacking LB in due course. 

A hopefully now recharged and injury free Lewis will get his chance in pre-season too. I'm happy to wait until January at least on a more attacking LB.

Do loan players even bother with a medical? Surely they're only undertaken to ensure you're not investing in an asset that's immediately going to plummet in value on account of being broken? (Which wouldn't apply in the case of a short-term loan signing).

Just now, Yorkie said:

Do loan players even bother with a medical? Surely they're only undertaken to ensure you're not investing in an asset that's immediately going to plummet in value on account of being broken?

Yeah exactly, dunno. Maybe it’s for insurance purposes or something.