Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

On 28/04/2023 at 09:58, Nine said:

I’m not convinced personally, we have far less depth in quality at CB/RB.

Obviously Targett may not be happy playing second fiddle and want to move, in that case we will.

We’ve four CBs who Howe trusts. I think LB will be a priority/nailed on signing, but mainly for tactical/flexibility reasons rather than lack of quality or trust in the options we have.

Just look at the table. We’ve only conceded 26 goals. 12 less than Arsenal (and 3 less than Man City). Any angsting over our defensive quality, at LB or anywhere else, seems ridiculous in that context. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

We’ve four CBs who Howe trusts. I think LB will be a priority/nailed on signing, but mainly for tactical/flexibility reasons rather than lack of quality or trust in the options we have.

Just look at the table. We’ve only conceded 26 goals. 12 less than Arsenal (and 3 less than Man City). Any angsting over our defensive quality, at LB or anywhere else, seems ridiculous in that context. 

Agree. At RB we’ve already bought Trippier’s understudy and backup in Kraft and Manquillo.

Be absolutely amazed if Ashby is anywhere good enough to be a understudy for Trippier. Send him out on loan in the summer. Krafth and Manq might be enough for the time being, but I really want a new, young RB to compete with Tripps.

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

The missing context is though that our first choice back 4 have been very fortunate with injuries so far. Next season we might not get so lucky, Botman/Schar to Lascelles or Trips to Manquillo is a massive step down in quality. Where as on the left you have pretty solid quality and consistency in who comes in should Burn or Targett go down for any lengthy period.

You have a point on tactical flexibility, an attack minded LB would be covered well by Joe on that left side. Having said that I just can’t see Burn being replaced as first choice LB this summer, he’s consistently performing well enough that replacing him at the moment just isn’t Howes modus operandi.

I agree the position is an issue in the mid term, but short term (1 more season) I think we are okay there. Having said that, if a long term LB target becomes available for the right price there’s every chance we pull the trigger this summer. I just feel the priorities are elsewhere first and foremost.

Edited by Nine

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Courtesy of Lee Ryder…”Eddie Howe says that Matt Targett has nothing to prove to him after his superb pre-season form has put him on the brink of winning back his first-team place.”

Superb? Really? I've not seen a lot of pre-season minutes, but that's Ryder being Ryder right? 

Just now, gbandit said:

Think Howe’s just building his confidence back up, in the knowledge that Targett will have a lot more game time this season 

If Schar's not fully fit for Villa it'll be interesting whether we go Lascelles or Burn centre-back. Could be Targett's path back into it. 

21 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Anddddd scene. 

I'm not coming at this from a Targett hater angle mate just curious where the truth lies between the Ryder comment and the rest of the stuff I've read online that's not exactly in agreement.

Some people have weirdly taken against Targett. I think he’s been solid, if unspectacular, in pre-season. 

When was the last time he had a sustained run of games following his injury? I think he’ll be fine this season with a few PL games under his belt. We’re gonna need him. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

Some people have weirdly taken against Targett. I think he’s been solid, if unspectacular, in pre-season. 

When was the last time he had a sustained run of games following his injury? I think he’ll be fine this season with a few PL games under his belt. We’re gonna need him. 

Fucking hell we better hope not. I don’t think he’s abject but better players will eat him for breakfast. 

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Fucking hell we better hope not. I don’t think he’s abject but better players will eat him for breakfast. 

Under the presumption he remains in a fixed state of performance, yes. I'd imagine the point is that with more games in his legs he'll improve somewhat, which makes sense given the stop start nature his 2nd half of last season had and can likely perform well in our setup, a setup Dan Burn can play well in as a LB.

55 minutes ago, pbxtn said:

Courtesy of Lee Ryder…”Eddie Howe says that Matt Targett has nothing to prove to him after his superb pre-season form has put him on the brink of winning back his first-team place.”

Superb? Really? I've not seen a lot of pre-season minutes, but that's Ryder being Ryder right? 

Ryder said the same thing a week ago: Targett had been so good in pre-season that he’d overtaken Burn for LB. You can only laugh at the mong.

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Do you think he’s declined or did you never really rate him from the beginning? If he has declined in your eyes, do you think it’s a permanent thing? 

Not trying to catch you out here or anything, I’m genuinely interested. I think he’s been fine and has just suffered for a stop/ start reintroduction following his injury and illness last season. I still think he’s the same solid 7/10 player and I’m content with him playing more.

I’m not against a world class LB upgrade though obvs. 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we started the season well with Targett left-back and Burn in the centre, it might be Schar that gets the unlucky Targett treatment this year. If Schar's fit I don't see Targett getting much of a look-in from the start. 

Can’t see this. As soon as Schär is fit, he starts. He offers so much more than Burn.

30 minutes ago, LV said:

Do you think he’s declined or did you never really rate him from the beginning? If he has declined in your eyes, do you think it’s a permanent thing? 

Not trying to catch you out here or anything, I’m genuinely interested. I think he’s been fine and has just suffered for a stop/ start reintroduction following his injury and illness last season. I still think he’s the same solid 7/10 player and I’m content with him playing more.

I’m not against a world class LB upgrade though obvs. 

I thinks he’s basically a decent player. Our standards defensively are now so high he’d be a clear weak link.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I thinks he’s basically a decent player. Our standards defensively are now so high he’d be a clear weak link.

I don't think we've seen enough of him to make that decision 

We've probably seen more in his time with us to suggest it's simply not true.

Seems his long term absence and subsequent sporadic appearances have resulted in people writing him off. He was very good in the half season loan with us and if he can recover that form he'll be a valuable player.