Transferometer: January 2022 Edition

How would you rank this Transfer Window?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank this Transfer Window?

Just now, jack j said:

Exactly

I understand people's frustrations and disappointments but when they step back and look at it compared to the last few years then howay man

Why should that matter? Me personally I’m looking at it purely on wether we’ve done enough to stay up and I think we are one position short. Decent window but just short

11 minutes ago, jack j said:

What would you have rated this window under ashley?

Still 5. Getting two amazing players in Bruno G and Trippier does not excuse a semi-improved CB in Burn, a slightly better Dummett in Targett and.. Whatever Wood is supposed to be. I think the Wood signing was full on panic and I have no faith in a guy that was in a slump in a team built around him coming here and scoring when we barely cross, and the only good crosser we have is Trippier as of now. We are going to be in the struggle all the way down to the line without the two attacking options and it will show against Everton imo.

EDIT:

The biggest reasoning for Burn not being great is that we dont have a pacy partner to play him with, and I think that will cost us, badly.

Edited by worthy

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Why should that matter? Me personally I’m looking at it purely on wether we’ve done enough to stay up and I think we are one position short. Decent window but just short

As I said I understand the frustrations

For me personally as a club we are a million miles away to where we were 4 months ago.

Just now, jack j said:

As I said I understand the frustrations

For me personally as a club we are a million miles away to where we were 4 months ago.

Of course we are and it’s amazing. Think people are just desperate to be able to start fresh next season. Desperate not to be relegated 

6/10. Seems a harsh score when you consider how amazing Trippier and Bruno are as signings (plus I generally think Targett and Burn are solid), just that the lack of dedicated central defender + pacey striker/support striker is risky.

Happy with the players brought in, just wish they had been brought in earlier. If Howe can't get this squad to stay up, there's no excuses really. I was prepared to let Howe stay on for a promotion run when he signed for us if we got relegated, but now I don't think I'd be satisfied with that unless we are hit by an unusual amout of injuries to key players.

Really looking forward to not reading about Jessie fucking Lingard again on here in every thread after the window shuts. Think we dodged a bullett with him. We already have two players who did well for a 4 months spell, never to replicate it again, so I've been quite surprised how sought after he's been on here. It is more likely that he'd be another hard working Fraser/Almiron with little end product than the player we saw for a short spell at West Ham.

I'm at a 7. Disappointed we didn't make some signings but the intent was there. Ekitike knocked us back, we were being held to ransom for Carlos. 

I think if we had of saved the 25m on Wood and the potential 33m on Ekitike, could we have signed a 60m stirker with that money? Who knows.

Depends who was available and who was willing to join in our current plight. Stay up and I think we'll see some really good signings over the summer. 

I've gone for a 7.

We've got some great players (Trippier and Bruno) in but hard not to be a touch disappointed not to get another forward player in.

Additionally, at one point it appeared we were going to get both Botman and Carlos so to go from them to Burn is underwhelming.

Targett, Burn and Wood are sensible signings that should do a job though.

On the whole, I feel we had the ability to eliminate the threat of relegation completely and we haven't done that imo. A Zapata instead of Wood along with either a DM or CB and we'd be safe no problem. I still fancy us to stop up but it'll be close.

Still happy with the business done though.

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

7/10.

One attacking signing off an 8.5

But it's decent and it should give us a fighting chance. The problem is every other club down at the bottom has also improved in some way.

Not as much as us, I don't think Norwich or Burnley are any better off with players either.  Weghorst might work but its a gamble.  If you asked Dyche who he would prefer it would be wood.

8/10 for me. That last striker/wide player today would have shifted me to a 9, 10 if it was a blockbuster like Nunez.

Bruno will be a transformative signing and we've added proven PL experience throughout the side, as well as upgrading 3 slots out of 4 in the defence.

A great effort from the new lot, I just hope it's enough. As you all know I'm still really unconvinced about Howe and he's going to need to knit this all together quickly, the margin for error is very narrow.

7/10 for me. The extra couple of signings we were aiming for today after Burn and Targett would've cleared an 8 or 9 but you can't fault the club's effort.. And I wonder how long it'll take until I get used to that. 

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

7/10 in terms of what we got 

10/10 for effort as if any of the clubs allowed Botman / Carlos / Zapata / Lingaard to leave , we would be at 10

Ditto

Really wanted another striker 

46 minutes ago, gdm said:

this

we Are not under ashley and we needed to invest and do what we can to secure the spot. 

The sort of players we’ve went for shows that the new ownership setup aren’t going to settle for making up the numbers or probably just aiming top 10.

We’re fighting off relegation and yet still signed two players who are top 4 quality. 

If we survive, with more willing sellers during the summer window than January, I think we’ll add another 4-5 of that ilk and be pushing for Europe next year.

Huge statement of intent for me.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

10/10 Trippier and Bruno

7/10 for borrowing Targett

5/10 Wood and Burn. These players ain't impressed me in the past but hopefully they will prove me wrong

10/10 effort from new owners, shame they were fucked about by certain people and clubs

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The sort of players we’ve went for shows that the new ownership setup aren’t going to settle for making up the numbers or probably just aiming top 10.

We’re fighting off relegation and yet still signed two players who are top 4 quality. 

If we survive, with more willing sellers during the summer window than January, I think we’ll add another 4-5 of that ilk and be pushing for Europe next year.

Huge statement of intent for me.

All about staying up now. Gonna be a nervy few months. Don’t think I could handle losing Bruno because of a relegation 

Just now, Ken Boon said:

10/10 Trippier and Bruno

7/10 for borrowing Targett

5/10 Wood and Burn. These players ain't impressed me in the past but hopefully they will prove me wrong

10/10 effort from new owners, shame they were fucked about by certain people and clubs

Accurate