Transferometer: January 2022 Edition

How would you rank this Transfer Window?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank this Transfer Window?

I'd say a 7. We've signed 2 players in Bruno and Trippier that are the quality of players you'd see in teams challenging for the top 4. Never thought we'd get the former. We're still lacking in forward areas but we've improved in other areas. Fingers crossed its enough.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

8/10. 

Wish we had managed a pacey striker and Botman or Carlos, would’ve rated it 10 if so. 

If we stay up then I will revisit this and give it a 10. That’s all that matters. Scary stuff if we do, can see us signing some quality players in the Summer. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

8/10. 

Wish we had managed a pacey striker and Botman or Carlos, would’ve rated it 10 if so. 

If we stay up then I will revisit this and give it a 10. That’s all that matters. Scary stuff if we do, can see us signing some quality players in the Summer. 

If we go down will you rate it lower too?

I think we’re pretty much as we were in terms of attacking threat and I think it’s going to be a problem although I did really appreciate Midds’ post in another thread about attacking as a team. I think it’s asking an awful lot of Bruno to both fix the DM problem and become a potent attacking threat as of next Tuesday, and that’s when we need to start winning games.

I think we’re going to have to win quite a few games 1-0 so let’s hope Howe can fix the amount of goals we concede with his new players.

2 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

5.5. Trippier and Bruno are quality. Targett and Burn are decent and plug gaps. Wood, im very much not sure about on terms of quality but the fact that Burnley have went and spent half of his fee on a Dutch international who scored 20 goals in the Bundesliga when Wood had scored three goals for them all season really does not bode well. They spent the other half on a Croatian international too.

The fact is though, we really needed to bring in another attacking player. An injury to the notoriously fragile ASM and were fucked. Goals have been an issue all season but we've not signed any attacking players that would start in our first 11.

I understand that the January window is difficult, I understand that they've 'tried their best' whatever that means but they've also been blessed with an enormous budget. I'm not convinced they had the infrastructure in place or identified the correct targets. Scratching around for Lingard who was never going to happen or a French kid with half a season on Ligue 1 under his belt says it all.

Have they don't enough to keep us up? Im not sure they have. Theyve given us a chance but with the resources available to them, I expected more and I think PIF would have should we go down. 

We don't have enough goals in us and it'll be touch and go as to whether we stay up imo.

Argee with this mainly, though I have put a 5 as I'm not convinced by the signings of Burn and Targett and I presonally think Wood is a shocker of a signing. I think the lack of  goals is a massive issue going forward.

I'm far from convinced that this team will be enough to stay up. Personally think there has been too much time spent chasing targets who were either unavailable or just didn't want to come.

I had high hopes last night and this morning, which in my opinion has become a bit of a damp quib in the end today, with a final 'scattergun'  attempt looking very much like it will not pay dividends either.

We will see though, as usual the barometer of different opinions (expected tbf) is in full display . 

Edited by et tu brute

Guest reefatoon

If we stay up a 10. If we go down a 1. It’s all there for us to stay up now though, sure we will do it. 5 signings is a good window.

Don’t think we did enough to raise the quality by a sufficient standard to get enough results. Think we will be reliant on other teams having poor runs.

We really needed to add goals and have failed in that respect, if ASM is off his game or injured we’re done.

it’s a 6 for me.

7 for sure. We've pretty much strengthened in every position we've brought in. I know there are nay-sayers but when we line up we are swapping the following:

1. Kraft/Manquillo for Trippier

2. Clark/Lascelles for Burn

3. Ritchie/Dummett for Targett

4. Longstaff for Bruno

5. Gayle/out of position ASM for Wood

The only reason it isn't higher is because we failed badly with Botman, Carlos and Ekitike, wouldn't pay for Coutinho, and fancied around with Lingard. Any of those players and it would have been outstanding. Lets hope the lads we've brought in do a job - if so, the summer is going to be very very fun.

7. Seeing as it's their first window in difficult circumstances it's a good overall upgrade to the squad. A few lessons to be learned, possibly, with being strung along by clubs and the lateness of the bid for the lad from France (if that's true), which does leave us a light in attacking areas. Can't help but feel we could've used that 25m for Wood a little better too...

Overall a great effort and Bruno and Trippier are cracking signings.

7 for me.

Like others mentioned obviously Trippier and Bruno outstanding. Targett and Burn decent (but could've been better ie Digne, Carlos/Botman).

People keep saying they're happy with Wood but I just don't rate the guy much unfortunately. Hope I'm proved wrong

Still think we missed opportunities. Ramsey would improve our midfield (I know injury record), Ekitike we took too long. Still a striker short. 

Sounds ungrateful but I'm definitely not. Would've snapped your hand off if someone said this was going to happen on October 1st 2021

As I mentioned in a different thread I think this window's is probably a 6/10.

The business we've done has been good, but the business we haven't done could break us unfortunately.

IMO we desperately needed a top CB and a top ST on top of what we've had. Looking at the deals done individually I'd say;

Trippier is a 10/10 signing.

Bruno is a 10/10 signing.
Burn is probably a 7-8/10 signing for where we are.
Targett is probably a 7/10 signing, especially on loan. Not a position I thought was prioritized though.

Wood was definitely a panic buy, we really needed anyone to lead the line. But he's a 6/10 signing at best.

Not getting in a top striker or a top CB though is definitely a 0/10 which makes the window a 6/10. Mathematics at its finest. :D 

I'll say though that it feels so good caring about all this stuff again. And kudos to the new owners for trying their hardest to strengthen us. They've aimed for the top and have come up a bit short unfortunately but please, please let us stay up so we can enjoy the summer window which I think will be a blast.

2 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

As I mentioned in a different thread I think this window's is probably a 6/10.

The business we've done has been good, but the business we haven't done could break us unfortunately.

IMO we desperately needed a top CB and a top ST on top of what we've had. Looking at the deals done individually I'd say;

Trippier is a 10/10 signing.

Bruno is a 10/10 signing.
Burn is probably a 7-8/10 signing for where we are.
Targett is probably a 7/10 signing, especially on loan. Not a position I thought was prioritized though.

Wood was definitely a panic buy, we really needed anyone to lead the line. But he's a 6/10 signing at best.

Not getting in a top striker or a top CB though is definitely a 0/10 which makes the window a 6/10. Mathematics at its finest. :D 

I'll say though that it feels so good caring about all this stuff again. And kudos to the new owners for trying their hardest to strengthen us. They've aimed for the top and have come up a bit short unfortunately but please, please let us stay up so we can enjoy the summer window which I think will be a blast.

So say we hadn't bought Wood, the melt down on here (quite rightly) would have been huge.  I think we are light in the striker role but Wood will do a job.  We need the midfielders to step up and support with more goals.    

Howe, you have your squad, please get us out of the relegation zone, no pressure.......

Giving it a 7/10 and a 10/10 for effort as others have said. It's actually quite impressive what they were able to do with such little time and no experience. Amazing what some professional people who give a shit can do.

Obviously would have liked a striker or Lingard, but we've still made great improvements. I posted this in the transfer thread, but it's a firehose:

I do think the impact the new players may have in our attack is being overlooked. 

Per 90 stats from fbref:

Bruno (percentile) vs. Willock

7.45 progressive passes (98) vs. 2.17 (5)

8.04 progressive carries (97) vs. 3.57 (43)

3.50 shot creating actions (96) vs. 2.38 (73)

Trippier vs. Manquillo
7.62 prog. passes (99) vs. 1.42 (1)

2.88 prog. carries (11) vs. 1.28 (1)

2.03 shot creating actions (66) vs. 0.64 (1)

Burn vs. Lascelles

3.19 prog. passes (67) vs. 1.10 (4)

2.32 prog. carries (44) vs. 0.59 (2)

0.79 shot creating actions (77) vs. 0.25 (9)

Targett vs. Dummett

5.67 prog. passes (93) vs. 1.65 (14)

2.87 prog. carries (10) vs. 1.15 (13)
2.03 shot creating actions (67) vs. 0.43 (35)

Now if you want to argue, particularly in the case of Burn and Targett, that their stats from the last year would be significantly worse had they been playing in Steve Bruce's Newcastle I would definitely accept that. But the fact is we have four players coming in who have demonstrated they can be a dramatic improvement in terms of getting the ball forward and creating chances. Bruno alone may transform the team and the way we are able to play.

7. Good, but not great. We’ve got two high-quality players and three proper mid-table players. 

Have we improved the squad? Absolutely yes.

Have we improved the squad significantly? Maybe not quite. Lacking another quality attack-minded player to have done that (CAM or ST). 

Am I feeling more confident of our survival chances? Yes. Maybe not hugely, I still think it will be very difficult, but we’ve a better chance now than on January 1st.

We've signed a couple of genuinely top players in Trippier and Bruno G and added three others who'll play a lot over the next few months.

Feel like we desperately needed at least one more attacking midfielder or winger though, probably two.

It's basically just ASM in the squad who I have any faith to produce a moment of quality. Gotta hope the additions at the back and in the middle will help us be more solid and control games a bit better.

Edited by Shak

Good window, exceeded my expectations tbf, because I tried to be sensible and think just how awkward a January window really is, it must have been such hard work for fresh owners to get so much done in so little time, with so many hurdles. Our league position, difficult clubs, players not wanting to just switch in the middle of a season if they're settled etc, etc, 

Realistically, what more could they have done, and you can guarantee that's not the half of it, I bet theres been loads not reported. 

Great job!

Edited by mighty__mag

What was needed vs what actually happened is a very difficult debate. 

The squad in November/December was rank, absolutely fucking rancid tbh and frankly a dozen players would have been needed to sort it. All positions and all areas needed attentions. The squad was rammed with players not fit for purpose and replacing them all was simply unrealistic, it was never ever going to happen. Filling all of the holes in the squad in a month was never going to happen, not quite sure what some people expected them to do tbh. Some fuckers would twist on 21. 

They did all they could. They signed 5 and spent a fortune doing so. Could they have spent more and signed more? Absolutely. We'd have had a squad of 40 and a wage bill that would have crippled us. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. I think we're a forward short tbh but looking at the big picture we've done rather well imo. 

Not sure what more people wanted. Not sure how greedy some people were. Not sure how many or how much would have been enough. 

They've done their best and I appreciate it, it's been a long time since the owners did their best for this club. It's been a long time since they did their best to move the club forward because they genuinely gave a shit about it and wanted it to be the best it could be. The very least they deserve is a little gratitude rather than bitching and moaning about not getting another striker through the fucking door having already spent £90m. Some fuckers deserve Ashley back.