Transferometer: January 2022 Edition

How would you rank this Transfer Window?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank this Transfer Window?

8. Wtf did folk expect in our position, the minute you show you are weak and throw utter stupid money around you are goosed. We are in a terrible bargaining position and I’m surprised we have done what we have .

Its enough for 4th bottom,our only target . 

Just now, Andy said:

8 or 9 relative to previous years. Probably a 6 in terms of what we need in the circumstances. 

There was probably just too many holes that needed plugging unfortunately. 

That's it, it wasn't just some decent additions to an already decent enough squad.

This was full blown invasive surgery levels of January transfer windows. Was always a tall order but they have really made a first of it at least.

Burn would be a cracking bit of business, if only he was along with Botman or Carlos. Just feels a bit disappointing given who we’ve been linked with, but that’s not helped expectations.

I think Watford have a lot more goals than us, so we need to hope Leeds or Everton end up getting dragged in.

I went for a 6, a top class centre back and top class attacker would make it a 10

We're basically hoping on Bruno being our best player since Shearer and completely transforming the side [emoji38]

I think it's possible, he's such a perfect fit for what we need and his stats are insane, but only bringing in a DM and a RB as players who are going to realistically allow us to change the way we play is risky.

I appreciate people wanted more, but we simply weren't going to cover all the positions we needed to given the state of the squad. Strengthening at CB, FB and CM was essential and that has been done. Finding cover for Wilson at short notice become essential and that was done. 

Bringing in a player of Bruno's quality will benefit us in both defence and attack. I think he's going to be the linchpin of the side moving forward.

10 for effort

10 for their 1st choice players

Solid 7 overall.

Would have been an 8 with Lingard, 9 with Zapata, 10 with both plus Diego Carlos.

Trippier and Bruno are outstanding signings. Burn and Targett seem very solid. Wood goes either way imo.

I think the quality is there, we're just a striker or AM signing at the same level of Trippier and Bruno away from ticking every box.

Overall, considering our position, very impressed and again, most importantly for me, 10/10 for effort.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8-ish? Trippier and Bruno are A+++++ signings that could conceivably be with the club for a long time as it grows and would have been completely beyond our reach under the previous regime.

The rest are fine, okay deals. That would be a decent set of incomings for an entire summer under normal circumstanes, never mind a January transfer window where we are fighting relegation, don't have a director of football, and every other club is adding another 10m onto their prices just for us.

Can't fault their effort and determination. Can't fault them putting their money where their mouth is. They've been lead on and let down by all accounts, clubs and players dicking them about for a month but still managed to get 5 into the club spending circa £90,000,000 in the process. Christ, that's something that's never happened before, it's unprecedented. 

Is it enough? No idea, that's down to the players now. Being greedy I'd have liked 1 or 2 more but it was always going to be ridiculously difficult to sort an entire rancid squad out in a notoriously difficult window. Think some are being very harsh on Staveley but can understand their logic even if I don't really agree with it too much. 

It was a huge task and they've done all they can and they deserve huge credit for that imo. They've bought half a team ffs. They now need to ask them to do the business on the park.  

14 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Because he's shit and we paid £25m for that shit.

I totally agree we overpaid for him, probably by about £10 million, but 'disastrous' is a frankly ridiculous statement. More headers won and more passes competed than any other player v Leeds, he played his part. I'm confident a lad who's hit double figures ever season of PL football he's played will chip in with a few goals too.

Honestly if you're feeling down about our window just go to Sky Sports and look at the in/outs for our relegation rivals and see if you'd rather have any of theirs. January is a tough time to remake your squad and we've done just about the most we possibly could have.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I totally agree we overpaid for him, probably by about £10 million, but 'disastrous' is a frankly ridiculous statement. More headers won and more passes competed than any other player v Leeds, he played his part. I'm confident a lad who's hit double figures ever season of PL football he's played will chip in with a few goals too.

If you say so mate. Just hope we don't get relegated due to a lack of goals now.

21 minutes ago, peder said:

How can someone give it an 10?

Easy. Just press the button like I did.

I can give 10 because our transfers seem measured, we're in a shit bargaining position, and we're now spending more like what we are capable of.

7 out of 10 for me - its would have been 8-9 if Lingard or Etikieke had signed.

I think this was a mammoth learning curve for the new owners but hope they learned from it.

Hopefully they will follow the transfer window with news of DOF and CEO and also sponsorship deals.

Over to Howe now - he now has a squad with some depth and so we should not be relegated.  Good luck Howe and us!

5.5. Trippier and Bruno are quality. Targett and Burn are decent and plug gaps. Wood, im very much not sure about on terms of quality but the fact that Burnley have went and spent half of his fee on a Dutch international who scored 20 goals in the Bundesliga when Wood had scored three goals for them all season really does not bode well. They spent the other half on a Croatian international too.

The fact is though, we really needed to bring in another attacking player. An injury to the notoriously fragile ASM and were fucked. Goals have been an issue all season but we've not signed any attacking players that would start in our first 11.

I understand that the January window is difficult, I understand that they've 'tried their best' whatever that means but they've also been blessed with an enormous budget. I'm not convinced they had the infrastructure in place or identified the correct targets. Scratching around for Lingard who was never going to happen or a French kid with half a season on Ligue 1 under his belt says it all.

Have they don't enough to keep us up? Im not sure they have. Theyve given us a chance but with the resources available to them, I expected more and I think PIF would have should we go down. 

We don't have enough goals in us and it'll be touch and go as to whether we stay up imo.

Edited by Doctor Zaius

6 (and as a result, most people have).

Improved every area but incrementally in some. Slight increase in survival chances. (*new managers elsewhere a fly in the ointment)

Forward would have been huge difference maker.

No knocking though. If Sevilla hadn't been going for the title, Lille in the CL and Man U being c**ts - we'd have been home and hosed and with a defence totally sorted.

Edited by Wolfcastle