Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

There are still times that I'm surprised by how good Kane is. I was one of those idiots that thought he'd be a one season wonder, but it's because even now he just looks like he should be a complete donkey, never seen anything like it.

It’s like, he just does all of the basic football things that you’re taught as a kid/youth, but he does them about as well as it’s possible to do them. And he does all of them, with both feet and his head. He’s not fast but he’s not slow, he’s not tricky but he’s not clumsy.

There’s a goal he scored earlyish on against someone in claret (West Ham? Burnley?) where he knew exactly what direction, bend and power he needed to get on a shot to squeeze it into the top corner. To get exactly that direction, bend and power he needed to contort his body in a very specific, awkward-looking way (a bit like Beckham used to do) and he just did it. It was so bloody impressive. Just feels like he’s basically made himself as good a footballer as he could possibly be with his talents - like Batty say, or Beckham tbh - by dedication and hard work.

2 hours ago, Tiresias said:

If Mitrovic can do what he did in championship and not make any fuss finishing he can do very well. I do feel agrieved when people think we mistreated him. He always clearly had a player in him but he had plenty of chances and just went to absolute shit all the time. Same first time in premier league with fulham.

Still only 27 - just hitting his prime.

19 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It’s like, he just does all of the basic football things that you’re taught as a kid/youth, but he does them about as well as it’s possible to do them. And he does all of them, with both feet and his head. He’s not fast but he’s not slow, he’s not tricky but he’s not clumsy.

There’s a goal he scored earlyish on against someone in claret (West Ham? Burnley?) where he knew exactly what direction, bend and power he needed to get on a shot to squeeze it into the top corner. To get exactly that direction, bend and power he needed to contort his body in a very specific, awkward-looking way (a bit like Beckham used to do) and he just did it. It was so bloody impressive. Just feels like he’s basically made himself as good a footballer as he could possibly be with his talents - like Batty say, or Beckham tbh - by dedication and hard work.

Obviously you'll know much more about it than me, but for me it's just that when he gets on the ball he gives the impression that his first touch is going to be rubbish, then it's perfect, he'll look like he's dawdling and waited too long, and his pass or shot is clearly too late. Then it turns out it was the perfect time for what he's chosen to do and his shot or pass is immaculate.

And he does it all in what looks to me like a sort of fuddled way, but it always turns out to be executed perfectly and he does it consistently as well. 

I remember Beardsley scoring a goal vs Aston Villa that made it look like he was confused and clumsy, but it was just Beardsley being a genius. Kane has a bit of that about him.

Edited by Kid Icarus

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

:lol:

Also if anyone wants to read some fewm https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22443-steven-gerrard/page/662/

;D

Snapping at reporters after one game. My God, this is going to be awful for Villa.

Villa seemingly have a great owner and fantastic backing in the transfer market, but they just can't ever seem to get their manager appointment right.

It’s mad how fantastic Gerrard and Lampard both were at football, but then they have to talk often and you realise what utter cunts and generally clueless they are.

Same with Bruce. You’d think playing the game consistently well at a high level under some outstanding managers would rub off on you.

5 minutes ago, tgarve said:

What was that defending 😂

So so bad :lol:

But it's the commentary that kills me, I get the same cringe when I hear brits do commentary on basketball.

Not sure how they can fix it.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

So so bad :lol:

But it's the commentary that kills me, I get the same cringe when I hear brits do commentary on basketball.

Not sure how they can fix it.

You can't fix what they all to a man think is perfect and something we should adopt.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

You can't fix what they all to a man think is perfect and something we should adopt.

They get way too hype in an awkward way that doesn't quite work for football.

It's fantastic for their NBA and NFL coverage though. Just a cultural thing I guess.