Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Based on ratings only Mbappe is ahead of him this season

He's definitely been more of a playmaker but in terms of goals hasn't helped that he's hit the woodwork quite a few times 

Think his ratings are actually higher than Ronaldo’s this season. Though obviously in a lower league.

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Also Ronaldo isn't leaving Man-U to join us

If Man-U don't have CL football do we reckon Ronaldo leaves? Can't imagine him playing in the EL

Yeah, I can see him leaving this summer. Despite his goals this season, they won’t want him going into next season, plus the money he’s on. A new manager will want new players in, and I doubt who ever it is will want CR. 

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Yeah, I can see him leaving this summer. Despite his goals this season, they won’t want him going into next season, plus the money he’s on. A new manager will want new players in, and I doubt who ever it is will want CR. 

And I don't think his ego (understandably so) will allow him to play EL (assuming Arsenal don't blow 4th place)

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

I think Ronaldo is better at the minute but when they were both in their prime Messi was light years ahead.

Messi is just pure natural ability where as Ronaldo is mostly hard work and complete dedication.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Where would he go? Back to Sporting?

I think Messi being at PSG spoils that

I think Sporting is the only move that makes sense, ordinarily the culture/lifestyle of the US would have been ideal but we know that'll never happen

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, I’m pretty sure Messi has trained his arse off since he was about 5, so I’m not sure this is true. 

Yeah I think it is a bit of a lazy comment that gets thrown about

Obviously Ronaldo's dedication is amazing and we can see how much he's worked at it but Messi has also grafted his bollocks off, he's been getting kicked by defenders since he was a kid and working hard to toughen up is what made sure he wasn't just a talented player, it's that hard work that ensured coupled with his talent that made him the goat 

4 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

The crime of the century is Messi leaving Barca. He never should have left Spain in hindsight.

Couldn’t have done anything else, could he, with the Barca finances at the time? He wasn’t allowed to play for free iirc, and they couldn’t afford to give him a contract. He’d never have gone to any other Spanish team.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Couldn’t have done anything else, could he, with the Barca finances at the time? He wasn’t allowed to play for free iirc, and they couldn’t afford to give him a contract. He’d never have gone to any other Spanish team.

Perfect description of the crime. Also shows how fucked football has become and the rampant corruption, malfeasance throughout. Greed has ruined a good amount of integrity in the game.

21 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Yeah I think it is a bit of a lazy comment that gets thrown about

Obviously Ronaldo's dedication is amazing and we can see how much he's worked at it but Messi has also grafted his bollocks off, he's been getting kicked by defenders since he was a kid and working hard to toughen up is what made sure he wasn't just a talented player, it's that hard work that ensured coupled with his talent that made him the goat 

On the flipside it's also ridiculous that when the argument comes up it's all about Ronaldo's dedication. His natural talent is also incredible. 

Still think there's a difference in being the best and being the greatest. 

Federer is the best tennis player of all time, but Nadal or Djokovic will likely go down as the greatest. Tom Brady isn't the best quarterback of all time but will go down as the greatest. Michael van Gerwen is the best darts player ever seen, but Phil Taylor is the greatest. 

What Ronaldo is doing now at 37 years of age in the strongest league in the world and in the CL for Man United compared to what Messi is doing in a relatively poor league for PSG has to speak volumes. People always doubted what Messi would do if he left a set up at Barca that was completely built around him. We all expected him to bang in 30 this year, but he hasn't. Ronaldo has done it internationally and for four different clubs in four different counties. 

People talk about how Ronaldo isn't a creator, but in the champions league and international football he contributes more than Messi does. He has more assists than Messi in the CL and far more goals. Why is the CL not the benchmark? 

Messi at Barca was incredible. Ronaldo is incredibly no matter where he has went. 

Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time. 

12 minutes ago, Froggy said:

On the flipside it's also ridiculous that when the argument comes up it's all about Ronaldo's dedication. His natural talent is also incredible. 

Still think there's a difference in being the best and being the greatest. 

Federer is the best tennis player of all time, but Nadal or Djokovic will likely go down as the greatest. Tom Brady isn't the best quarterback of all time but will go down as the greatest. Michael van Gerwen is the best darts player ever seen, but Phil Taylor is the greatest. 

What Ronaldo is doing now at 37 years of age in the strongest league in the world and in the CL for Man United compared to what Messi is doing in a relatively poor league for PSG has to speak volumes. People always doubted what Messi would do if he left a set up at Barca that was completely built around him. We all expected him to bang in 30 this year, but he hasn't. Ronaldo has done it internationally and for four different clubs in four different counties. 

People talk about how Ronaldo isn't a creator, but in the champions league and international football he contributes more than Messi does. He has more assists than Messi in the CL and far more goals. Why is the CL not the benchmark? 

Messi at Barca was incredible. Ronaldo is incredibly no matter where he has went. 

Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time. 

I agree with the first line, Ronaldo is clearly talented and it's not just down to hard work

On the Champions League point. If you want the CL to be the benchmark then great, let's look at it

Ronaldo: 141 goals and 41 assists in 186 games. 89 Minutes Per Goal contribution (of which 1 goal, 1 assist and 4 appearances were in CL qualifying)

Messi: 125 goals and 35 assists in 156 games. 81 Minutes Per Goal contribution

You were saying?

Ronaldo's longevity is incredible even though none of the teams he's been in have looked good for a while now. 

At both their peaks Messi was miles better which is what should be the barometer IMO. Not sure how he contributes more in international football either. More goals but there's a lot more shit teams in European qualifiers

Edited by triggs

4 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

No he isn't.

That seems to be the argument against him. "Nah." 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I agree with the first line, Ronaldo is clearly talented and it's not just down to hard work

On the Champions League point. If you want the CL to be the benchmark then great, let's look at it

Ronaldo: 141 goals and 41 assists in 186 games. 89 Minutes Per Goal contribution (of which 1 goal, 1 assist and 4 appearances were in CL qualifying)

Messi: 125 goals and 35 assists in 156 games. 81 Minutes Per Goal contribution

You were saying?

Ronaldo has won it 5 times with 2 different teams. 

You were saying? 

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

Ronaldo's longevity is incredible even though none of the teams he's been in have looked good for a while now. 

At both their peaks Messi was miles better which is what should be the barometer IMO.

Miles better? If you compare them both when they were in La Liga is there even anything in it? I think Ronaldo has more goals per games in the league when he was in Spain. If he had started his career there like Messi this wouldn't even be a debate. 

Messi is just much easier on the eye. He's a better footballer. Doesn't mean he's the greatest footballer. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

That seems to be the argument against him. "Nah." 

Ronaldo has won it 5 times with 2 different teams. 

You were saying? 

I didn't say anything, it was your argument to use the CL as the benchmark and the numbers show Messi contributes slightly more.

Ronaldo won it? You mean the teams he was part of won it?

I don't put too much on to team trophies as it's a bit of poor argument when comparing individuals because you could use that logic to suggest Solskjaer is better than Shearer 

Just now, Froggy said:

Miles better? If you compare them both when they were in La Liga is there even anything in it? I think Ronaldo has more goals per games in the league when he was in Spain. If he had started his career there like Messi this wouldn't even be a debate. 

Messi is just much easier on the eye. He's a better footballer. Doesn't mean he's the greatest footballer. 

Actually, whilst they were both in the same league at the same time their scoring rate was pretty much identical

Ronaldo had that scoring rate because he was at his peak when he joined Real Madrid, you are delusional if you think he would have put those numbers up if he joined Real at 18 

Just now, Froggy said:

Messi won 6 La Liga's vs 2 for Ronaldo while they were both in the league. Messi was a much better footballer across various facets of the game. Goalscoring was pretty close but even Messi's best goalscoring seasons/years were much better than Ronaldos