Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

I was reading on here just last week that VAR works perfectly everywhere other than the Premier League, an opinion that roughly translates as "I never watch anything other than the Premier League"

Another ludicrous decision just made in the Roma game.

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I was reading on here just last week that VAR works perfectly everywhere other than the Premier League, an opinion that roughly translates as "I never watch anything other than the Premier League"

Wasn't it just that FIFA aren't taking any English VAR refs to the World Cup?

Some honking decisions in Italy this weekend.

On 11/09/2022 at 14:35, Astroblack said:

Vinicius is the second coming of Ronaldinho. Half the time it looks like he doesn’t care, then just springs into action when you’d least expect. Always has a smile on his face. Magic player. 

I love him. I put a lot of stocks in him when he was v. erratic but he's turned into an elite player.

The first 3 goals here from Madrid are beautiful. And highlight 3 notable trends:

- Fede Valverde is one of the most athletically gifted footballers i've ever seen and is getting better.

- Vini with another highlight reel skill and finish. World class is the new normal.

- Rodrygo has it all and is growing. He has the talent to replace Big Benz - this is his season to prove it. I didn't see it at first but I see it now.

13 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I love him. I put a lot of stocks in him when he was v. erratic but he's turned into an elite player.

The first 3 goals here from Madrid are beautiful. And highlight 3 notable trends:

- Fede Valverde is one of the most athletically gifted footballers i've ever seen and is getting better.

- Vini with another highlight reel skill and finish. World class is the new normal.

- Rodrygo has it all and is growing. He has the talent to replace Big Benz - this is his season to prove it. I didn't see it at first but I see it now.

I think valverde is the best player in that team, on and off the ball he never puts a foot wrong. brilliant player!

It´s still funny how both Modric and Kroos still get a huge amount of game time...

14 hours ago, Wullie said:

Yeah, it's controversial over here. Mostly because of incoherent review standards. 

They should have a system like the NFL with a guy/team offsite reviewing plays and having the last word, setting the league's standard. But FIFA has always been fixated in making the on-the-field ref having the last word, so it will probably never happen.

Edited by Village Idiot

14 hours ago, Wullie said:

Every time someone criticizes PL refs in relation to European refs I die a little inside. Some of the decisions in European games are unbelievably awful, and in disconcertingly predictable ways. Like, presumably the refs we see in Europe are the best of the best too. It’s a universal problem.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Every time someone criticizes PL refs in relation to European refs I die a little inside. Some of the decisions in European games are unbelievably awful, and in disconcertingly predictable ways. Like, presumably the refs we see in Europe are the best of the best too. It’s a universal problem.

Time we got back some referees that even the players themselves were too scared to question. Pierluigi Collina for example.

His stare gave me nightmares as a kid. 

Imagine him now....he'd make Ronaldo cry

3 hours ago, buzza said:

I think valverde is the best player in that team, on and off the ball he never puts a foot wrong. brilliant player!

It´s still funny how both Modric and Kroos still get a huge amount of game time...

I don’t think he was subbed put in any of those key CL games except maybe the last 3 minutes of the final. Shows how important he is. 

I’ve always thought he’s the perfect Klopp #8.  You’ll not out run or battle Valverde and he can play. He gets most of his minutes nominally at RW these days but I reckon he would be Kante-Esque given a proper run in CM. 

17 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Remember us discussing this last season. Just like Valverde, Rodrygo has all the tools to succeed, he just needs to develop and exceed in one or two departments to become a top footballer. None of those players really have any major weaknesses. If Rodrygo keeps developing like he has the past 6 months he could become a star in that team. Vini Jr has that x-factor with the dribbling and pace, but Rodrygo is a much more mature and composed footballer. 9 goals and 5 assists in his last 17 (6 as subs) mostly ''out of position'' on the right-side. 

Valverde, Camavinga and Tchouameni is hell of a future for Real Madrid. Seems like they've really struck gold on the two brazilians up top and those three in midfield. Tchouameni looks the real deal already and Camavinga is the most raw of them, but clearly the potential is there. 

Edited by Flip

7 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Liverpool u-19’s v Ajax u19’s in UEFA youth league. Bobby Clark is playing well

Hopefully this is the last we see of a talented younger leaving (due to our academy set up being crap)

There is a potential gold mine of talent in the NE - just needs a plan in place to finally nurture it 

23 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Hopefully this is the last we see of a talented younger leaving (due to our academy set up being crap)

There is a potential gold mine of talent in the NE - just needs a plan in place to finally nurture it 

I was asking the other day on here, to no reply:rant: as to whether our standing had gone up in the game for developing youngsters with the new coaches etc coming in.

18 minutes ago, madras said:

I was asking the other day on here, to no reply:rant: as to whether our standing had gone up in the game for developing youngsters with the new coaches etc coming in.

I would imagine so.it will be well known that we plan to develop as a club. Ashworth will know as much as anyone about who the best coaches, scouts in this country and most likely knows himself which are the best up and coming talents. We bought A lad called Chris Rigg from Sunderland who is seemingly very highly rated and will be one to watch out for over the nexts five years, but is only 14/15 at present

Just now, Rafalove said:

I would imagine so.it will be well known that we plan to develop as a club. Ashworth will know as much as anyone about who the best coaches, scouts in this country and most likely knows himself which are the best up and coming talents. We bought A lad called Chris Rigg from Sunderland who is seemingly very highly rated and will be one to watch out for over the nexts five years, but is only 14/15 at present

I know there was interest in Rigg, didn't think it was done though.