Newcastle United 3 - 1 Everton (08/02/2022)

Disco

Am I misunderstanding the rules of the game, why didn’t we get a free kick for that? I know the ref gave us advantage but we stopped when we realised it wasn’t going to give us an advantage and ASM was still down

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye, burst out laughing a few times. The own goals, the injuries to their players (as they weren’t serious), that clearance above that went for a corner, saint-maximin just rinsing them again and again in the same position down their right. Was hilarious

Add in Michael Keane giving another performance that reiterates my view he won his England call ups from a cereal box.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Joelinton’s flick off his own head in the penalty area as he tried to control and take a shot was one of the funniest things I’ve seen on the pitch 

Minute 2:34. Chicharito did the same thing but scored [emoji38]

I'm part mexican which is why I remember the goal. 

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Reading a Pickford thread on an Everton forum today is quite funny :lol: 

with his slicked back hair thinking he's clarke kent when he's hes an absolute flappy slide on wearing dosser

:lol::lol::lol:

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

i know its a cliche and i usually hate it.

but last night the crowd were like an extra man.

They were, and that has been reinforced by non affiliated people today.

Makes you feel something doesn't it.

Just now, NE27 said:

They were, and that has been reinforced by non affiliated people today.

Makes you feel something doesn't it.

Makes me feel we're back.

I've said it for a long time, that our fanbase can be our worst enemy. 50k Geordies applauding even the simplest of contributions is way better than 50k Geordies berating every tiny error. It was always a fine balance when we had a capacity of 36k, and when we expanded it was at a time when the intention was to fill it with quality. We've since resorted to filling it with players who, on their day, can raise their game in such an atmosphere, but lack the quality to do it week in, week out.

Is that “grand old team” forum a true representation of Everton fans?  It’s almost a blue clone of the groomers, the hate for us is that strong. 

Scouse mackems is so accurate. What a bunch of windowlickers!

Edited by RS

1 hour ago, Joey47 said:

Minute 2:34. Chicharito did the same thing but scored [emoji38]

I'm part mexican which is why I remember the goal. 

Chicharito was way classier, he assisted he's own header! [emoji38]

1 hour ago, deejeck said:

As much as I complain about people using their phones at the match, I've spent most of the morning watching Trippier's goal from just about every part of the ground.  Might do some work this afternoon.

Imagine wasting your life away with that pish......

Screw work..... just rewatch the goal for the rest of the day! [emoji38]

Kieran Trippier conquers chaos to pull Everton into peril

Newcastle United 3 Everton 1

Newcastle United rose from the relegation zone and it felt like their spirits rose even higher on a memorable, deafening night at St James’ Park. Kieran Tripper, a leader who does not need the armband, embodied the bold new spirit, demanding constant application from his team-mates and scoring with a majestic late free kick.

Newcastle fans understandably eulogised Allan Saint-Maximin’s performance and the Frenchman ran Everton ragged, making Séamus Coleman look every one of his 33 years. Saint-Maximin was irrepressible in attack, riding challenges, commendably eschewing chances to go down, just simply targeting the penalty box, then the goal. But it was no coincidence that Saint-Maximin was able to remain so high up the field in a game when Matt Targett, such a reliable left back, made his debut. Targett covered, liberating SaintMaximin.

But it was over at right back that Newcastle’s new era is really being driven. When they fell behind, Trippier immediately rallied his team-mates. When Anthony Gordon, Everton’s feisty youngster, began causing problems, Trippier stepped in. At 31, Trippier was deemed by some too old for Newcastle’s revolution. They forgot what a fighter he is, what a ball-winner, and how accomplished he is with a dead-ball. His corner helped Newcastle back into the game. Trippier’s free kick gave the Gallowgate a close-up of his talent. “Kieran Trippier — over the wall,” they sang. It won’t be the last time. Trippier set the tone and the whole team responded, pressing hard.

This was an important result which lifted Newcastle in the table and also dragged Everton back into the relegation mix. Frank Lampard’s side started promisingly, but were not helped by injuries to Demarai Gray and Yerry Mina. They also urgently need Dominic Calvert-Lewin back fully fit and starting, giving Everton a focus. Dele Alli came on and looked ring-rusty. Donny van de Beek, who arrived midway through the second half, showed some decent touches but the tide had already turned.

The eye was immediately drawn to Gordon, the 20-year-old Evertonian responding dynamically to Lampard’s management. Gordon operated as an inside right behind Richarlison in Lampard’s 3-4-2-1 and seemed on a particular mission to close down Saint-Maximin. Gordon dispossessed the Frenchman, then waved dismissively at him as he sat there appealing for a free kick. There is a self-belief to Gordon, an energy and commitment and good touch, that could make him a key player under Lampard. But Saint-Maximin simply bounced back.

When Mina then tweaked his groin and went down injured, Gordon was not waiting for the physio to come on to attend to his stricken team-mate. He had one thought: attack. He hared upfield, those long legs carrying him swiftly over the turf. Jonjo Shelvey gave chase but was never going to reach the ball so flew in with a scissors tackle that almost trapped Gordon’s right foot. The Everton attacker was fortunate to escape injury and Shelvey was lucky to escape a red. Anthony Taylor deemed a yellow sufficient. Chris Kavanagh, the VAR, saw nothing amiss.

Yet Everton did exact full punishment from the free kick wide on the left. Gordon, inevitably, swung the ball in, it fell to Holgate, whose shot was cleared off the line, struck Lascelles and rebounded in. Trippier barked exhortations, getting the players to park their disappointment and refocus. His words hit the mark. Within a minute, Newcastle were level. Trippier curled the corner over from the right and Lascelles benefited from Mina’s absence by rising to power in a header. It beat Jordan Pickford and crashed down off the bar, hit Holgate and went in.

Newcastle took control after the break, maintaining their ferocious pressing. When Dele lost the ball in midfield, Newcastle swarmed forward 10 minutes after the restart. Ryan Fraser took the move on down the right, Joelinton took it crossfield and sent Saint-Maximin down the inside-left channel. He sprinted towards the Gallowgate, which rose in expectation. Saint-Maximin was too swift for Coleman and cut the ball back. Michael Keane tried to intercept it but it flew on to Fraser, whose close-range strike just avoided Andros Townsend on the line. The Newcastle fans were already at fever pitch, loving all this new hope around the team with the new signings, and they simply raised the roof again. The sight of a beaten Pickford, formerly of Sunderland, in front of them simply added to their merriment.

The game briefly became fractious with Gordon catching Trippier, who reacted and the pair squared up. Gordon’s fuse was burning, and he lost his composure, storming into Saint-Maximin, sending Newcastle’s No 10 flying. Remarkably, Taylor showed leniency to Gordon.

When Fraser was scythed down by Allan with 11 minutes remaining, Newcastle took full revenge. Trippier took the ball and placed it down 25 yards out and slightly right of centre.

Pickford organised his wall as Trippier prepared his free kick. Trippier simply lifted the ball over the wall and past the despairing Pickford. Gallowgate was now in total exultation. They believe in Eddie Howe and in the team. Newcastle seem truly united again.

Newcastle could have had more. Saint-Maximin teed up Jacob Murphy, who hit the post, and Pickford saved Joe Willock’s follow-up. There were further joys for the Geordies with Bruno Guimarães coming on and immediately showing his class with a back-heel. There is already a huge flag dedicated to him on the Gallowgate. If he received a loud welcome, there was an even bigger cheer when it was announced that Sunderland had lost. Many fans stayed on, saluting the players as they did almost a lap of honour. With such impressive new talent, Saint-Maximin running amok, and Trippier bringing the steel, this felt like Newcastle’s new era had properly begun.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kieran-trippier-scores-majestic-free-kick-to-bring-new-hope-for-newcastle-ztrv5b7vc