Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

I honestly don’t know why football clubs sign themselves up to these punishing contracts. Especially to attract deeply average managers. Or worse than average in Steve’s case. 

You could easily find the motivated managers by whoever was willing to leave for a very small fee if they got sacked. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

There should be zero compensation for managers being sacked for not performing.

Agents should not be paid by the club. 

Sorry, feel like my post is a crossover from the Pet Hates thread.

29 minutes ago, Stal said:

Not zero. 1 year though is fair enough. 

I would say put in milestones and actual numbers about when you can be sacked, and how much the payoff will be for each one. 

I guess the top managers will always be in demand given how many clubs there are to work for. It's when he really average managers get juicy deals that is mystifying.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Not zero. 1 year though is fair enough. 

Nope. Zero. They get paid up until they are sacked. Maybe 4 weeks notice at a push. A year is way too much.

But, simply my opinion. Getting paid off for failure just sticks in my craw, you get tossers like mcclaren not just resigning because of the payoff and people like bruce seemingly making a career out of it. Makes me sick.

23 minutes ago, Stal said:

Nope. Zero. They get paid up until they are sacked. Maybe 4 weeks notice at a push. A year is way too much.

But, simply my opinion. Getting paid off for failure just sticks in my craw, you get tossers like mcclaren not just resigning because of the payoff and people like bruce seemingly making a career out of it. Makes me sick.

Got to think about employment law. I'm sure there are loads of employers out there which if they could terminate certain individuals for nothing or a month salary then they would. 

Mind, give this government another year and that's where we'll be. 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I honestly don’t know why football clubs sign themselves up to these punishing contracts. Especially to attract deeply average managers. Or worse than average in Steve’s case. 

What I can't fathom is why any club willing to hand the job to Steve Bruce would actually pay anyone to do it.

I mean you could just borrow a chimp from Edinburgh zoo. Put him in a tracksuit and let him stand on the touchline and point. Be just as useful.

2 years ago today since we beat Burnley 3-1:

https://www.nufc.com/html/2020-21html/2020-10-03burnley-h.html

Bruce's comments after the game man haha:

"I am delighted for the players. We've all had our fair share of criticism this week, maybe rightly so.

"Tonight we have hopefully quietened a few for a while anyway. We have tried to change and be more expansive. It goes up and down so quickly - that's Newcastle.

"If we can keep Allan Saint-Maximin fit he will get people off their seats, he can do things that other people can't. He is explosive. He is a goalscorer and a threat.

"We’re still a long way from the finished article, believe me, but I hope the Newcastle supporters can see what we’re trying to do in terms of the way we’re trying to play.

"Of course there are going to be a few hiccups along the way. When you get a couple of results, especially like the one tonight, then it always helps.”

Just read his pure Bruce half sly half gormless comments about West Brom having not won enough in the last 2years 'apart from the first 10 games of last season'.

Under selling the previous job - they won every other game for the first half of last season, the win ration has been massively effected in the negative him and also including their premier league season as an unfair comparison (even then they won 5 in 30 which is better (given the level) than Bruce's 7 in 28 now).

A fairer comment would be 'they've always rode high in this league for the last 20years, until I rocked up'

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Just read his pure Bruce half sly half gormless comments about West Brom having not won enough in the last 2years 'apart from the first 10 games of last season'.

Under selling the previous job - they won every other game for the first half of last season, the win ration has been massively effected in the negative him and also including their premier league season as an unfair comparison (even then they won 5 in 30 which is better (given the level) than Bruce's 7 in 28 now).

A fairer comment would be 'they've always rode high in this league for the last 20years, until I rocked up'

He’s created a narrative that WBA are a bang average championship team.

3 hours ago, Stal said:

The likes of Bruce feel like indepenent contractors anyway, just casing banks to do over. A blanket rule would apply managers that are trying but not quite good enough or find its not for them and hard working lower league one's unfortunately.

Simple truth is its the owners/CEOs to blame. 

As I've said before there is no other industry, barring local Gvt, where complete fucking failures get paid off then crop up elsewhere doing the same job. 

I wouldn't advocate sacking the cunts on the spot either, though. What you wish for in populist culture will always come back and bite you on the arse. 

As @Dokko says, this Gvt will have your own employers binning people of, for no reason, with no pay-off soon enough.

Agree the whole agent culture needs destroyed but I'm not sure how now. 

Edited by Groundhog63

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

Got to think about employment law. I'm sure there are loads of employers out there which if they could terminate certain individuals for nothing or a month salary then they would. 

Mind, give this government another year and that's where we'll be. 

Most managers last less than 2 years so have very few employment rights anyway! 

16 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Simple truth is its the owners/CEOs to blame. 

As I've said before there is no other industry, barring local Gvt, where complete fucking failures get paid off then crop up elsewhere doing the same job. 

I wouldn't advocate sacking the cunts on the spot either, though. What you wish for in populist culture will always come back and bite you on the arse. 

As @Dokko says, this Gvt will have your own employees binning people of, for no reason, with no pay-off soon enough.

Agree the whole agent culture needs destroyed but I'm not sure how now. 

You have to keep the agents otherwise players and managers will get screwed over with the small print. The agency business needs regulating, caps on earnings would be a start.

43 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

He's a right slimy cunt for this. Always creates a misleading narrative to divert/deflect from the actual issue which is his gross incompetence.

In fact, I think preparing a misleading narrative is the only preperation the cunt does for any job he's in.

When he's binned here, surely that's got to be it for him?

22 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

You have to keep the agents otherwise players and managers will get screwed over with the small print. The agency business needs regulating, caps on earnings would be a start.

Oh, absolutely, they should have expert representation. The issue I have is clubs paying agent fees. The club isn't employing an agent, the player is. Therefore the agent negotiates a cut from the player, not the club. The way agents in the entertainment industry work.

That’s exactly it like, had to deal with appalling match after appalling match, knowing our future as a club was likely to involve a parade through the lower leagues all while that tub of drippings patted himself on the back whenever we lucked out. Cue some nonsense like this:

“Here, listen, it’s not all down to me. I can only create the plan, fire them up and get them hungry, they have to do the rest but maybe if everyone just put a bit more faith in someone who’s spent a life in football then maybe we’d get somewhere. I don’t know, it’s not for me to say”

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

He’s created a narrative that WBA are a bang average championship team.

In which case, he's managed to take a bang average championship team to well below bang average in the table.

He even underperforms against his own fictional low bar.

Just praying for his pay-off now along with his gang of nitwits, hoping nobody notices how bad he has been so he can pull the same stunt again.

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Cabbage Heed doesn't rock up.  He walks through the door.

The latest from 1,000+ game Brucey:

"I speak to Ron every day, I really don't need reassurances, I really don't think that's the right word or whatever," Bruce said, when asked by BirminghamLive whether he'd spoken with the CEO.

"We all know the job and we have to get on with it. I speak to him every day as part of my job. He's going to be disappointed like everybody else is. My job is to focus on how can I win on Wednesday, and if I can win on Wednesday how can I win on Saturday.

"Then the football world for us anyway is a little bit of a better place. I can't take that for granted [relationship with Gourlay], I need to get a result too.

"He's as disappointed as everybody else. Let me just put it [out], we need to get him a few results too, but the one thing he's said from day one is we're all in it together and that's the way it will be.

"At a football club you're judged on results and for me the results haven't been good enough. So whatever's coming your way you have to accept because West Brom for the last 20 years has been in the Premier League or top end of the Championship and that's the demands, that's what we all sign up for in football."

It's not the first time that Bruce has been faced with a situation as difficult as this; at Newcastle, and prior to that at Aston Villa, he's found himself under pressure to deliver positive results, in this division and the one above.

He maintains that he is the man for the job, the one who can arrest this slide, which began with relegation from the top flight in 2021 and which he takes a share of the responsibility for, provided he is granted time - though that is a finite commodity.

"Chance is for other people to decide, all I can do is try to draw on my experience of tough times before," Bruce added.

"I'm convinced I'll turn it round. I've got to be clear that at times we've been close, could've won two, three, four of those games but we haven't. Let's keep bashing away and see where we can go."