Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

19 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

"Let's keep bashing away and see where we can go. "

Fucking hell man. 🤣

It’s unreal.

Fully admitting there that he’ll not change a thing, won’t adapt, he’ll just plough the same old furrow and hope that something magically changes and he’ll get a result.

He’s a con artist. 

Did anyone listen to Chris Sutton on Saturday night's 606 phone in? Had a West Brom fan on saying Bruce has to go he's been terrible etc and Sutton said he's still got West Brom 'In the mix' for the Playoffs and a couple of wins and they'll be right up there :lol:

The fan said to him that they were 21st and only outside the relegation zone on goal difference, even Savage was taking the piss out of Suttons opinion. How that cunt never gets stick from the pundits is ridiculous.

Edited by Pokerprince2004

37 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

He maintains that he is the man for the job, the one who can arrest this slide, which began with relegation from the top flight in 2021 and which he takes a share of the responsibility for, provided he is granted time - though that is a finite commodity.

"Chance is for other people to decide, all I can do is try to draw on my experience of tough times before," Bruce added.

"I'm convinced I'll turn it round. I've got to be clear that at times we've been close, could've won two, three, four of those games but we haven't. Let's keep bashing away and see where we can go."

This statement utterly boils my piss. "The man who started and perpetuated a shitshow, maintains he is the one who can arrest this shitshow.". Defies all logic.

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

The latest from 1,000+ game Brucey:

"I speak to Ron every day, I really don't need reassurances, I really don't think that's the right word or whatever," Bruce said, when asked by BirminghamLive whether he'd spoken with the CEO.

"We all know the job and we have to get on with it. I speak to him every day as part of my job. He's going to be disappointed like everybody else is. My job is to focus on how can I win on Wednesday, and if I can win on Wednesday how can I win on Saturday.

"Then the football world for us anyway is a little bit of a better place. I can't take that for granted [relationship with Gourlay], I need to get a result too.

"He's as disappointed as everybody else. Let me just put it [out], we need to get him a few results too, but the one thing he's said from day one is we're all in it together and that's the way it will be.

"At a football club you're judged on results and for me the results haven't been good enough. So whatever's coming your way you have to accept because West Brom for the last 20 years has been in the Premier League or top end of the Championship and that's the demands, that's what we all sign up for in football."

It's not the first time that Bruce has been faced with a situation as difficult as this; at Newcastle, and prior to that at Aston Villa, he's found himself under pressure to deliver positive results, in this division and the one above.

He maintains that he is the man for the job, the one who can arrest this slide, which began with relegation from the top flight in 2021 and which he takes a share of the responsibility for, provided he is granted time - though that is a finite commodity.

"Chance is for other people to decide, all I can do is try to draw on my experience of tough times before," Bruce added.

"I'm convinced I'll turn it round. I've got to be clear that at times we've been close, could've won two, three, four of those games but we haven't. Let's keep bashing away and see where we can go."

Might as well list his entire managerial career.

God I don't miss them sort of quotes week in week out. How someone who has been in the media spotlight for 40+ years can be so inept at conveying a message is beyond me, he just waffles continually with the only aim his own self-preservation. :lol: 

"Eddie and his staff, from day one, came in with a really good spirit and organisation with everything. The training was a huge change for us from what we had come from in terms of intensity and the detail, and how competitive it was. He tried to keep everyone fit and competing for a place. That was really good.

Good ol' Fede Fernandez absolutely throwing Bruce under a bus.

Good work Fede. That was my main issue with Bruce - he just couldn’t be arsed. I don’t dislike him due to his tactics (or lack of) and to an extent I think some of his interviews are forgivable as it isn’t nice receiving abuse, whether or not you’ve brought it on yourself. However, the lack of effort can never be excused. 

I hadn’t read this until I read it on the WBA forum & I know I shouldn’t but I just hate the man 

On Saturday morning, an article appeared on The Mag which highlighted a year ago this week, when we played Leicester City on 1 January 2020. It is safe to say the shambles that followed during the 90 minutes wasn’t a surprise. It certainly shouldn’t have been to Steve Bruce. That day we lost four players to injury and Bruce commented “You get injuries by forcing players to play tired. That’s not an excuse, it’s a fact. I was concerned before the match, I made that clear.”

Well I’ve had my say on Bruce’s record with injuries so I won’t go over old ground other than to bring up old quotes from Bruce….

“I messed up. I played players that weren’t match fit or where only half fit”

“The one thing you can’t do in the Premier League is play lads who are below their best”

– Steve Bruce (2009, Wigan)

There are more, as I’ve highlighted in the past, but like I’ve said, that’s old, well worn ground. We know he can’t handle injury and fitness issues, squad rotation and man management problems. I have come across a more pertinent issue with what we’re seeing going wrong with this team.

We all know this team can’t pass to save it’s life and the possession stats are truly shocking. This should be a cause for concern and an area the manager should be focusing on as a matter of supreme urgency. Or at least you would think so. But I’ve got some more alarming quotes that prove this Head Coach and his backroom staff are not focusing on such issues and they haven’t been since the very first moment they walked through the door in August 2019.

Take a look at the following:

11/08/2019- Arsenal 0-1 – “What disappointed me was that we gave it away too cheaply.”

17/08/2019- Norwich 1-3– “Difficult and hugely disappointing – the manner of it. With and without the ball. We certainly didn’t do enough and we have to improve. We didn’t do enough with and without the ball. We weren’t good enough. “I’ve got to be ready for the flak which will come my way.”
29/09/19 – Leicester City 0-5 – “We simply didn’t do enough (Comment said three times) “We have to go back to the training ground and do the basics better. It wasn’t anywhere near good enough.”

27/10/2019- Wolves 1-1– “We didn’t do enough when we had the ball. That was the most disappointing thing – the number of times we gave it away cheaply.”

25/11/2019- Aston Villa 0-2 – “We tried hard but we weren’t good enough. We didn’t do enough with or without the ball.”

28/12/19 – Everton 1-2 – “We will dust ourselves down and go again…”

1/1/20 – Leicester 0-3 – “In the first half, I thought we gave the ball away too cheaply.”

16/02/20- Arsenal 0-4– “You make a mistake at this level and you get punished, and we’ve been punished a couple of times.”

1/2/20 – Norwich – 0-0 – “We gave the ball away so cheaply today, which is disappointing. Their chances were mainly through mistakes (by us) which is not like us.”

22/02/20 Crystal Palace 0-1 “The better team won. We have had decent possession, but we gave the ball away too cheaply.”

28/06/20 – Manchester City 0-2 – “You cannot make the type of mistake we did for the penalty. We surrendered the ball a bit too cheaply.”

6/11/20 – Southampton 0-2 – “We gave it away far too cheaply and far too often. We didn’t do enough”

16/12/20 Leeds United 2-5 – “We can’t make those mistakes we’ve made here. The third goal in particular where we gave the ball away cheaply in our own box.”
19/12/20 Fulham 1-1 – “We haven’t done enough today with and without the ball. Unfortunately we gave the ball away too cheaply. We’ve had a difficult week and we’ll dust ourselves down and get ready for Tuesday.”

22/12/20 Brentford 0-1 – “We have to accept what’s coming our way and dust ourselves down. Unfortunately we haven’t played well enough.”

26/12/20 Manchester City 0-2 “Yes we gave it away too cheaply at times.” 

And those were the ones I could find with the minimum of effort.

If we’re keep giving it away “cheaply” from as far back as August 2019 when he arrived and we’re still doing it some 17 months later, there is only one part of the club that must take the blame for that. Isn’t it about time he did something about it?

Steve Bruce also keeps saying we “weren’t good enough” and “beaten by the better team”. I think it’s about time a journalist brought this up and took him to task as to not do so is gross negligence on their part. I’ll admit, it’s getting to the point where the criticism of this Head Coach is such an easy task but heck, in the name of self-improvement, the man needs to listen.

Bruce bangs on about “progress” and “inching the club forward”… Rubbish, there has been no change since he walked through the door. He mentions the mass Hysteria that goes with any crisis at Newcastle United but this isn’t the first time he’s mentioned such “Hysteria” of course.

“It shows you how difficult it is up here. The mass hysteria, I find some of it pathetic, to be honest” – Sunderland manager Steve Bruce, August 26 2011.

“Of course here, at a club like ours, it turns into mass hysteria. A couple of bad results and all of a sudden it’s the end of the world again” – Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce, September 25 2017.

“We had a bad week, and some of the mass hysteria in my opinion was unjust, unfair and a lot of it was not right in my opinion” – Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce, December 26, 2020.

Well I’ll give him one thing, the man likes to repeat himself and like I said at the start, talk is cheap. They also say it’s good to talk.

In Bruce’s case, it’s best he finally puts up, or shuts up and clears off…"