Balls on the bath - who's going down?

The Prophet

Balls in the bath - who's going down?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going down?

Probably Leeds, possibly Burnley.

I think 37 points will be enough, unless you're Leeds, in which case your goal difference will send you down.

Everton have another 5 points in them.

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Someone’s going down with 40 points. Too many fixtures where opposing sides have nowt to play for. 

Could Southampton still get dragged into it?

Let's not declare Everton as safe just yet, we did the same after the game against us and Man U. Still impossible to call for me. Everton seem like the sort of side to try harder against the top teams so I'm hoping their easy run in may yet be a disadvantage.

Just now, Jinky Jim said:

Looks possible that for the first time after WHU were relegated another team may be relegated with 40 points…..interesting.

What's the maximum haul Everton/Leeds/Burnley can get with their remaining fixtures?

Leeds to go.

Burnley, 34pts: Villa (h), Spurs (a), Villa (a), Newcastle (h)

Leeds, 34pts and a rancid GD: Arsenal (a), Chelsea (h), Brighton (h), Brentford (a)

Everton, 32pts: Leicester (a), Watford (a), Brentford (h), Palace (h), Arsenal (a)

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

What's the maximum haul Everton/Leeds/Burnley can get with their remaining fixtures?

Everton 15 points (47 points)

leeds 12 points (46 points) 

Burnley (12 points) (46 points)

Everton - They're down there because they can't beat the teams around them, you can raise your game at home against the Man Utd, Man City and the Chelsea's. You have to beat the others and they can't, a jammy win against Chelsea ain't changed nowt for me.

Leeds have 12 points to play for and last 12 points they got 5. The 12 before that they got 6 so at a very very rough guesstimate- I think they’ll finish on 39 or 40 points and go down personally.

6 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Could Southampton still get dragged into it?

Let's not declare Everton as safe just yet, we did the same after the game against us and Man U. Still impossible to call for me. Everton seem like the sort of side to try harder against the top teams so I'm hoping their easy run in may yet be a disadvantage.

Good shout... 

Brentford (A) 

Liverpool (H) 

Leicester (A) 

Could be stuck on 40 points

Chelsea wanted 2-3 seconds each time they had the ball but Everton gave them less than a second. Time and time again , Chelsea gave up possession. Everton defended excellently (it's got to be said). They got blocks in time and time again. Much worse, Pickford made some good saves. I take on board what an earlier poster said - perhaps Everton can only raise themselves in Liverpool and against the top clubs? Will they be able to play like this at Arsenal and Leicester and will they create more gaps to be exploited at home to Brentford and Palace? They also have Watford away which presumably is an away win given that Watford have contrived to lose a horrendous eleven consecutive home games in the Premiership? I think the bindippers are going to safe, sadly. All-in-all, they have it in their control.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Everton - They're down there because they can't beat the teams around them, you can raise your game at home against the Man Utd, Man City and the Chelsea's. You have to beat the others and they can't, a jammy win against Chelsea ain't changed nowt for me.

Wasn’t just a jammy win against them though, they beat us and got a draw against Leicester.

Games they have left are against Brentford and the such so I think they’ve got enough personally.

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Good shout... 

Brentford (A) 

Liverpool (H) 

Leicester (A) 

Could be stuck on 40 points

You could say the same about Brentford too like. Have to play Man Utd and then three relegation 6-pointers against Southampton, Everton and Leeds. 

All of those teams seem to be playing one another. No idea who will go down at this stage.

So pissed off about Everton, man. 

Man United, Chelsea and (to a lesser extent) us have gave an awful side three 1-0 wins. Need them to lose at Leicester and have a silly defeat against Watford/Brentford.

15 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

Looks possible that for the first time after WHU were relegated another team may be relegated with 40 points…..interesting.

Just Googled it and it was Crystal Palace in a 42-game season (1992-1993) with a whopping 49 points (1.16 per game) who earned the most points whilst being relegated.

You're right about West Ham - they went down in 2002-2003 (I think) on 42 points in a 38-game season (1.10 points per game) for the highest tally in a 38-game season. 5under1and and Bolton went down in 1996-97 and 1997-98 on 40 points (38-game season). Bolton went down on goal difference from Everton who - if I remember correctly - beat Wimbledon in the final game of the season 3-2 after being 2-0 down. There's something about them that just doesn't seem to be relegatable!

24 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

I know Burnley and Everton have started to pick up a few points, but it's a big ask for all three sides to hit 40 points. That said, it's looking likely it'll take more than the 36 points many of us (including myself) predicted.

Leeds have the worst remaining fixtures, a mostly championship team with bad injuries in key positions, such as Dallas, and a goal difference equivalent to a dinosaur-extinction level asteroid strike.

They played well in spells yesterday, but still lost 4-0.

Their main hope of points has to be home against (top 10) Brighton, or away against a resurgent Brentford sending an emotional farewell to Eriksen in their last game.

Everton will probably beat either Watford away, or Palace or Brentford at home. 5 points doesn't seem unreasonable from those.

Burnley are on a good run, but all runs come to an end at the bottom of the table. I can see them getting 3 points from one of their Villa games, but not winning both.

So, 37 points for each and Leeds down on GD.

I'll change my mind tomorrow.

if its not Everton then I want it to be Burnley.  Leeds I think offer the PL something, Burnley just dont.

So want it to be Everton though, the last few weeks, my hatred of the Scouse Makems has gone off the scale.

Edited by Awaymag

6 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

That result will ensure they are safe, their home form will be enough for them 

I think Leeds are going to be the ones to go down.

It really does look like it. Bluebindipper Park seems to be where Everton arse themselves to turn up so their two home games are likely to save them. It's a shame because no team has a right to be in the Premiership, and their fans talk as if they are entitled to be there.

I guess today's result might inspire Leeds and Burnley to push on that extra level, but I agree that Leeds look as though they are going to fall short.