Balls on the bath - who's going down?

The Prophet

Balls in the bath - who's going down?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going down?

I think what makes this relegation battle so interesting is the difference between those trying to escape.

I'd say Burnley and Watford are there because they can't really create chances with any great quality or consistency. If Watford could have found a goal in four of their games under Hodgson they'd be 8 points better off. Burnley would be 13 points better off if you added a goal to everyone one of their games since January. It really is fine margins. 

Leeds and Everton are more defined by their inability to defend. You could add a goal and a lot of their results would remain. I think Norwich are already gone, personally. They simply don't have the quality at either end. Even Pukki is just Dwight Gayle with a Finnish passport. So then it becomes a case of who finds a way to cover themselves quickest? I'm not sure but it's going to be great to watch. 

If I had a pound to put on it I'd say Norwich, Burnley, and Leeds.

3 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Hope Leeds go down, mainly as I would love to poach two or three of their players. 

Not sure I'd want any of them. 

Raphina is the only one who comes close and even he has shown in recent weeks he is the same as every other wide player, he blows hot and cold.

Norwich, Watford, Burnley, Leeds and even Everton have no player I would be desperate to sign in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

It's a very interesting relegation race. Watford and Leeds wins were huge yesterday. Watford/Leeds is going to be huge in a few weeks.

Watford v Leeds on 9th April and then Burnley v Norwich on 10th. Alot hinges on those 2 games for those 4 clubs.

Everton play us and then West Ham before playing Man U on the 9th so that weekend will be massive in the relegation stakes.

Always thought that Everton would have enough to get out of it but I had a look at their run-in yesterday and it's pretty tough, and their form is showing no signs of picking up either. If we do manage to beat them on Thursday then I'll start to really believe that they could go, as we appear to be one of their more winnable fixtures on paper. 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Raphina is the only one who comes close and even he has shown in recent weeks he is the same as every other wide player, he blows hot and cold.

Norwich, Watford, Burnley, Leeds and even Everton have no player I would be desperate to sign in the summer. 

Kalvin Phillips? 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Watford v Leeds on 9th April and then Burnley v Norwich on 10th. Alot hinges on those 2 games for those 4 clubs.

Everton play us and then West Ham before playing Man U on the 9th so that weekend will be massive in the relegation stakes.

Just done a check, and out of the bottom 7 teams, there are the following number of '6 pointers' 

Newcastle - 3, Everton, Norwich, Burnley.

Brentford - 3, Watford, Everton, Leeds.

Leeds - 2, Watford, Brentford.

Everton - 4 - Newcastle, Brentford, Watford, Burnley.

Watford - 4 - Leeds, Brentford, Burnley, Everton.

Burnley - 4 - Norwich, Watford, Newcastle, Everton.

Norwich - 2 - Burnley, Newcastle.

Also interesting to note that Watford have taken more away points than at home, their away form may be what keeps them up.

30 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Isn’t it balls out of the bath? 

It absolutely is.

"What do you think about the polo neck, balls out of the bath on this one"

1 hour ago, deejeck said:

Always thought that Everton would have enough to get out of it but I had a look at their run-in yesterday and it's pretty tough, and their form is showing no signs of picking up either. If we do manage to beat them on Thursday then I'll start to really believe that they could go, as we appear to be one of their more winnable fixtures on paper. 

Issue with Everton is that they will have some many games to play, there are already four that need to be re-arranged from covid/fa cup - and that's not including any that have to be re-arranged if they get through to the next round.

And all of these will have to be played by season end, I can see it being like Notts Forest, they had to play 4 in one week, Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat - this was before the days of Sky.

40 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Kalvin Phillips? 

Good shout, had slipped my mind as he's been injured for so long and seemingly isn't due back this season.

Still wouldn't be my first choice of midfielders but i would be pleased if he came in. Would work well as a double pivot with Bruno and suits a pressing team. 

Not saying I wouldn't be okay with some relagated players coming in but I don't think there's much quality in that bottom 5/6. 

14 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Just done a check, and out of the bottom 7 teams, there are the following number of '6 pointers' 

Newcastle - 3, Everton, Norwich, Burnley.

Brentford - 3, Watford, Everton, Leeds.

Leeds - 2, Watford, Brentford.

Everton - 4 - Newcastle, Brentford, Watford, Burnley.

Watford - 4 - Leeds, Brentford, Burnley, Everton.

Burnley - 4 - Norwich, Watford, Newcastle, Everton.

Norwich - 2 - Burnley, Newcastle.

Also interesting to note that Watford have taken more away points than at home, their away form may be what keeps them up.

Just going from that and general form over this season, you'd say Norwich are gone already and Leeds could yet go either way but certainly need to win against Watford.

Burnley conceed alot fewer than the clubs around them so should get a couple of wins in those 6 pointers they have left.

Everton have a horrific run of games and will need to pull off a shock or 2 against top 6 teams as well as mustering some resolve to beat relegation rivals to have any hope.

Watford are so inconsistent it feels like they could either pull themselves out of it in the next month or be confirmed down before their last game. They've got better with Hodgson so I can see them staying up.

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Agree with this. That side is largely the same one Bielsa transformed from mid-table Championship level into a PL outfit, and I think if they manage to survive this season they will have to spend big now Bielsa is gone. 

From those sides mentioned, Raphinha, Richarlson, and DCL are the only players really worth looking at. I would say McNeil, but I don't think he would get in our current 11 past Max or Fraser.