1. 1. Who's going down?

Phillips as our holding midfielder, out team would then fit a 4141 perfectly:

-----------------dubs/other.----------------

Trippier-------Schar/other-----Burn-----Target

---------------------phillips---------------------

Fraser/Other------Bruno------Big Joe------ASM

------------------Osimen/Haarland:)----------

22 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Agree with this. That side is largely the same one Bielsa transformed from mid-table Championship level into a PL outfit, and I think if they manage to survive this season they will have to spend big now Bielsa is gone. 

From those sides mentioned, Raphinha, Richarlson, and DCL are the only players really worth looking at. I would say McNeil, but I don't think he would get in our current 11 past Max or Fraser. 

Phillips is class and would walk into any team outside the top 3.

2 hours ago, HUGZ said:

Phillips is class and would walk into any team outside the top 3.

Also think he would compliment Bruno well. He seems to love keeping it simple and just exchanging passes with everyone. Takes the pressure off you when you need to give a pass, then returns it to you when you’re in a position to use it better. 

Generally will be really interesting to see which midfielders we go for. 

Hodgson seems to be getting a couple of results for Watford, Leeds have made a recent change and might get the bounce, Burnley will probably shit-house their way to a few more points but Everton...Everton made their move months ago, it's not working, and they have pretty tough fixtures remaining. I think they'll go.

8 hours ago, buzza said:

Phillips as our holding midfielder, out team would then fit a 4141 perfectly:

-----------------dubs/other.----------------

Trippier-------Schar/other-----Burn-----Target

---------------------phillips---------------------

Fraser/Other------Bruno------Big Joe------ASM

------------------Osimen/Haarland:)----------

Or…

Dubs

Tripper Schar Burn Targett 

Bruno Phillips

Raphina Joelinton ASM

Havertz/Rashford

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

14    Newcastle United      36
15    Watford FC     34
16    Brentford FC      33
17    Leeds United     33
18    Everton FC    32
19    Burnley FC   28
20   Norwich City    19

Played it so we didn't win another game. Lose to all the expected and draw against those we have a chance and we're still ok. Another win and its done and dusted.

Playing with the results and it really is close, even have Watford coming out of it, they've got some winnable games (Burnley, Brentford, Leeds & Everton at home, even Leicester who are on holiday already are a good chance for them) 

I really hope we get a couple of wins very soon so we can sit back and watch this unfold. Its going to be close, some massive key games, more 6 pointers then i've ever seen at this stage. 

37 minutes ago, Dokko said:

14    Newcastle United      36
15    Watford FC     34
16    Brentford FC      33
17    Leeds United     33
18    Everton FC    32
19    Burnley FC   28
20   Norwich City    19

Played it so we didn't win another game. Lose to all the expected and draw against those we have a chance and we're still ok. Another win and its done and dusted.

Playing with the results and it really is close, even have Watford coming out of it, they've got some winnable games (Burnley, Brentford, Leeds & Everton at home, even Leicester who are on holiday already are a good chance for them) 

I really hope we get a couple of wins very soon so we can sit back and watch this unfold. Its going to be close, some massive key games, more 6 pointers then i've ever seen at this stage. 

Honestly think we will win at least two of our remaining games and personally think we will be over the 40 point mark at the end of the season. People are going on about Watford, they have only picked up 8 points in the last ten games and only two wins. They have also only scored 6 goals and conceded 18 in that time.

Edited by et tu brute

• 3 weeks later...

On my betting trawl, I did some digging into relegation odds and they look about right. Realistically, Everton are about the only team Watford or Burnley can catch.

Looking at the last ten years, only six teams have survived after being in the bottom three with ten games to go. This is getting  even more rare, with only one team surviving after being in the bottom three in the last six years (Villa in 19/20).

The only real "great escape" was Leicester in 14/15. They're the only side to survive after being on Watford's point tally after 28 games. Similarly only Leicester and Wigan in 11/12 have survived after being on Burnley's point tally after 28 games. Neither of these teams overhauled a team with 30+ points at the same stage.

Records are there to be broken, but it's going to take something extraordinary for Watford or Burnley to catch Leeds, Brentford or ourselves at this stage. It's highly likely that we're now looking at two from three.

Only way the relegation places will change is if Burnley win tomorrow.

Although it’s fairly conceivable Everton could lose (or pick up minimal points in) their next five if they get beat tomorrow though, which would be hilarious.

The thing I love most, if they do stay up, will be their mental gymnastics when they realise they’ve only stayed up because of Rafa’s great start to the season.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Torn between wanting a Leeds win tomorrow to create a gap to Everton meaning a 1v1 shitoff with Burnley or Watford to win to pull them closer and give more teams a chance of catching them.

Either way, a draw could only be the bad result. 

Watford to win, I want some relegation drama on the last day. 

Everton's game tomorrow is a huge indicator for their run in. 

The loss to Burnley was a major blow, but those games at home are really a last chance to come together and do something.