Newcastle United 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (05/03/2022)

Yorkie

I'm surprised to see the Bruno slander. The pass to ASM alone was inch perfect and showed his quality. He's clearly got some adjusting to do in terms of where he takes his risks but he pressed and did what was asked.

Poor performance tbh, especially the second half. Their whole gameplan is about the ultra width from Lamptey and Cucurella and we never got to grips with it - very lucky to win. 

4 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

Second half shouldn't have ever been this stressful if Murphy shooting wasn't so erectile dysfunction and brain being porridge

Shelvey really does not have the engine to play at this level against high intensity good at keeping possession sides like Brighton

Bruno has to start against Southampton, we were lucky for this to not end 2-2

Murphy’s shooting like erectile dysfunction? Nah… his shots love a bit of wood (…work) 😉 (sorry).

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

I dislike Krafth as much as the next guy, but he did alright. Brighton targeted him as the weak link, and he didn't break.

Most of the danger came down his side, he was definitely the weak link in a mostly resolute defence. 

Everyone needs to appreciate how difficult it is to produce the run we are on, particularly from the position we where in. That is a huge win and I think signs the team needs a refresh which I’m sure will come.

This club will be the death of me 😂

Edited by SUPERTOON

ASM definitely enabled us to get the ball up the pitch, for about two seconds. :lol:

Anyway, not gonna whinge too much, it's another brilliant result. Very, very important one too.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Looked very self evident why he's not currently starting to me.

ASM wasn't much cop but his outball was probably the difference between us holding on and relenting under the pressure.

He's not starting because we are the only team still unbeaten since Christmas. It's nowt to do with his game.

Just now, Yorkie said:

What did he do wrong? ???

I thought he was too tbh. Trying flicks and spins, getting done on the by line trying to dive in and then getting very lucky playing for the foul at the end having turned back towards our goal. Gave him a 6 for getting on the ball and getting it out to one of our players at the end, along with a nice through ball to ASM.

Just now, Yorkie said:

He gave the onus back to them basically every time he had the ball! I love him but Christ his decision making is a pile of shite at times.

He's going a million miles an hour, tiring the opposition out. That's his job as an outball. Brighton had nowt left at the end, partly thanks to him. Loose balls, tired tackles, no life.

Not directed at you, but people saying "I wish he'd just pick his head up" as though he's running at Wood's speed and has all the time in the world/players alongside him. It's fine for him to lose the ball up there because one of out every five times it'll be a shot on target or a wondergoal and the same people who berate him will be hanging out his backside again. :lol:

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Looked very self evident why he's not currently starting to me.

ASM wasn't much cop but his outball was probably the difference between us holding on and relenting under the pressure.

I honestly don't know what you are seeing, he was better then both Shelvey and Willock in the short time he was on the pitch, set up and inch perfect through ball to ASM, and broke up play well. Only thing I can think of is that he held onto the ball a bit long, instead of hoofing it long, but even that he always found a pass/ got fouled in the box. 

Just now, Mattoon said:

Most of the danger came down his side, he was definitely the weak link in a mostly resolute defence. 

That's going to happen every game. When Ritchie was starting everything went down that side. You'd be a fool not to. Want Manquillo back.

Got bossed second half, but some good last-ditch defending kept them out. I wouldn't say Brighton got close enough to say we were lucky or they were unlucky. For a team who does pass and move so well, it's funny to see Brighton excel at orcball corners. They're really good at them. In open play, Welbeck seemed to offer no threat at all.

A great three points. Onwards and upwards.